What was the last movie you watched? (2021 edition)

On 13/08/2021 at 03:05, adrynalyne said:

You must not have seen F9 then. In comparison, Suicide Squad isn’t even a runner-up.

They have the same CinemaScore, so you're probably right. I'd rather watch Cars 2 instead of an F&F film.

Raya and the last dragon.  7/10 for me.  They still manage to hit you with the feels at the end as per Disney.  Though I'm not a fan of the company itself tbh, they still put out good stuff.

On 17/08/2021 at 23:36, George P said:

Raya and the last dragon.  7/10 for me.  They still manage to hit you with the feels at the end as per Disney.  Though I'm not a fan of the company itself tbh, they still put out good stuff.

I could swear you've mentioned seeing this film in this thread already.

Anyway, Raya and the Last Dragon had a very questionable ending. There is no explanation as to why things ended the way did. It is as if the film was originally supposed to be a horror movie but Disney changed the director in the last minute and affixed a happy, albeit unfathomable ending to it.

• Thanks 1

On 17/08/2021 at 16:57, Fleet Command said:

I could swear you've mentioned seeing this film in this thread already.

Anyway, Raya and the Last Dragon had a very questionable ending. There is no explanation as to why things ended the way did. It is as if the film was originally supposed to be a horror movie but Disney changed the director in the last minute and affixed a happy, albeit unfathomable ending to it.

Yeah we talked about it here already 🙂

Oh, right. You (E.Worm Jimmy) mentioned it, not George P. I think it was around the time that George wrote something about justice. Or maybe my memory is going bad.

Go see Free Guy.

Seriously, one of the best movies ever. No ###### agendas shoved down your throat,

just a couple of one-liners thrown in for a laugh. Overall, it's just a fun ride all the way

through. Definitely a must-see for everybody.   10/10

• Like 2

Perfect Stranger (2016) - 9/10

This is an Italian movie where a bunch of friends meet up for dinner and play a game where everyone shares any messages they receive on their phone. This movie had me on the edge of my seat even though I don't completely understand the ending as of yet. If we all keep secrets from each other like this we live in a scary world. Highly recommend this movie though.

Perfect Strangers (2016).png

On 24/08/2021 at 07:30, notta said:

Perfect Stranger (2016) - 9/10

I don't completely understand the ending as of yet.

Really? Well, since I don't know what you don't understand, I'm going to give you a summary:

A group of friends, mostly married couples, meet for a dinner. One of them suggests that they all put their cellphones on the table and expose any incoming communication (voice call, text, IM, etc.) to the rest of the group. Nobody agrees. They all go home, having not revealed any of their secrets, with their lives intact. However, most of the film show what would have happened if everyone consented: Their secrets, sometimes innocent secrets, would have been revealed and their lives ruined. Many people, including people outside this circle, would have suffered from severe backlash, disproportionate to what they deserved. The most prominent example is the daughter of the host, whose crush and sex fantasy was exposed to the group, even though she had never done anything wrong. Some members of the group were cheaters but even they suffered badly.

The film has a 2017 Spanish remake in which the events shown in this film actually transpire. (Actually, this film has dozens of remakes.) The Spanish version is more explicit about everything and I think has missed the point.

I was about ready to respond and say I don't know what you're talking about. 

Spoiler

I went back to the ending and watched it over and sure enough they talked about NOT playing the game tonight. That was a very subtle transition from if they actually played the game to leaving not having played.

I don't speak or read Italian so I couldn't read the text messages at the end. Were all the stories true though? I assume so as the one wife went home and put panties on at the end. Why did she even take them off to begin with? It was her lover that liked that but she was out with the husband?

Really enjoyed this movie.

On 24/08/2021 at 10:26, notta said:

I was about ready to respond and say I don't know what you're talking about. 

Reveal hidden contents

I went back to the ending and watched it over and sure enough they talked about NOT playing the game tonight. That was a very subtle transition from if they actually played the game to leaving not having played.

I don't speak or read Italian so I couldn't read the text messages at the end. Were all the stories true though? I assume so as the one wife went home and put panties on at the end. Why did she even take them off to begin with? It was her lover that liked that but she was out with the husband?

Really enjoyed this movie.

The text messages at the end of the film are exactly the same text messages that you see during the hypothetical timeline in the film.

As for your subsequent questions, as well as questions that you haven't asked yet, you can find a good clue in the film's title. You see, these people weren't friends, husbands, or wives. Friends stand by each other in the times of need. But for these people, the misery of the others was a mean of amusement. Spouses didn't know each other, let alone fulfill their need for compaionship. In other words, these people were perfect strangers.

The Hitmans Wifes Bodyguard.   It was ok, there was some bits that were funny but I didn't enjoy it as much as the original.   I found myself skipping forward more and more as time went on.  5/10.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kate - Netflix (IMDB)

Nothing to see here.....just your typical bad ass assassin who was betrayed and then goes on a revenge spree.  You've seen the same old script before....

On 12/09/2021 at 01:51, xrobwx71 said:

Cruella. Pretty good, I'd say 7/10. 

Yeah. One of the better Disney works. Better than Raya.

A critic said Cruella is like Inglourious Basterds for children. 🤣

• Haha 2

The Conjuring The Devil made me Do it.   If you like the series so far this is yet more of the same.  Not really scary, more tension building I'd say.  6.5/10.

I watched Appleseed Alpha. (2014) It was the reboot of the Appleseed movies. Most you are going to like it, even though it was riddled with plot holes and continuity errors. And in this reboot, Hitomi is a human, not a bioroid.

Spoiler

The sovereign state of Olympus had sent Olson and Iris to dismantle a fully automated doomsday weapon. The problem is that Iris was no demolition expert. She a special robot whose mere function was to activate said doomsday weapon. So which imbecile had sent her? You see, when you send a guy to dismantle a bomb, logic says you must give him a disarming kit, not the detonation remote!

On 13/09/2021 at 18:37, Fleet Command said:

I watched Appleseed Alpha. (2014) It was the reboot of the Appleseed movies. Most you are going to like it, even though it was riddled with plot holes and continuity errors. And in this reboot, Hitomi is a human, not a bioroid.

Reveal hidden contents

The sovereign state of Olympus had sent Olson and Iris to dismantle a fully automated doomsday weapon. The problem is that Iris was no demolition expert. She a special robot whose mere function was to activate said doomsday weapon. So which imbecile had sent her? You see, when you send a guy to dismantle a bomb, logic says you must give him a disarming kit, not the detonation remote!

Appleseeds one of those series that has a bunch of different versions it's become a mess.  Plus I'm not that sold on the full CGI option they've went for.

On 13/09/2021 at 19:24, techbeck said:

Watched the movie Chappy on Netflix.  2015 movie I believe.  My fiance and I enjoyed it.

Also watched Kate on Netflix.  Another movie I enjoyed.

I feel tempted to watch Kate but I don't know yet.   I'm 50/50 at this point.