What was the last movie you watched? (2021 edition)

On 26/07/2021 at 06:00, McCordRm said:

Just watched the new He-Man series from Kevin Smith on Netflix.

I was going to write up an essay on all the reasons it sucked... but I'll just say

this, instead:  Believe the reviews on this one. It's utter crap meant to intentionally,

and specifically, crap on the very notion of the "strong male character".

This is NOT the He-Man you grew up with.

Or rather the series is called “Masters Of The Universe” and ups the focus on other key players rather than the one dimensional previous main character.

On 26/07/2021 at 07:00, McCordRm said:

I was going to write up an essay on all the reasons it sucked... but I'll just say

this, instead:  Believe the reviews on this one. It's utter crap meant to intentionally,

I got this from Black Widow too though, basically in that movie if you're a man you're either evil, dumb, or a means to an end as with the guy that was depicted as needing to sleep everywhere providing the gear. It's a Hollyweird thing now isn't it!

Why can't people accept that (as a 48 year old) we were already used to growing up with strong female stereotypes, heck one of my favorite tv shows ever is Voyager, with a female Captain Janeway but w/e. Now they got to take it to the extreme where it just starts to annoy.

download.jpg

Anyway on topic, Wrath of Man, can't understand how it is getting such a high rating on imdb (7.2), it isn't a clever film, it is no lock, stock and two smoking barrels, it reminds me more of John Wick and the Expendables, both of which did a better job than Wrath of Man. I gave it a 6 out of 10 for the action.

I haven't seen any of He-Man yet so I will just keep my memories of the 80's cartoon that I used to enjoy.

• Like 2

On 26/07/2021 at 12:08, Steven P. said:

I got this from Black Widow too though, basically in that movie if you're a man you're either evil, dumb, or a means to an end as with the guy that was depicted as needing to sleep everywhere providing the gear. It's a Hollyweird thing now isn't it!

And it was a mind-controlled supersoldier film too. We've already seen those in Captain America 2, Iron Man 3, The Incredible Hulk, and all those Marvel TV series. Marvel is now ripping off of itself now.

Why can't people accept that (as a 48 year old) we were already used to growing up with strong female stereotypes

Yeah. I've grown up with Karan Sjet, Aerith Gainsborough, Miss Marple, and Hermione Granger. I'm not 48 though... yet.

Anyway on topic, Wrath of Man...

Oh, I've trashed that film in this thread already, so yeah.

I get the criticism for masters of the universe but at the same time some of you are overreacting a bit. It's only the first 5 episodes out of 10 for the season. Don't know why they split it up. 

Having said that, He-Man does take a back seat, true but he goes out like a boss. 

There's more to come so I'll hold off on judging it till I see the rest. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.ed0682595c3653ab333eca19c057bdc7.png

I just don't understand why this movie gets such a low score (4.x) on IMDB. I thought it was cute and the WB franchise tie'ins were creative. 

It was also fun to pause the movie every now and then to checkout who was in the crowd. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

On 26/07/2021 at 00:00, McCordRm said:

I've managed to watch the first two episodes...it is, um, something.  Episode 2 was a really hard watch..so I've given up on it for now.

The Transformers trilogy has been pretty good.  

On 03/08/2021 at 20:17, Circaflex said:

F9 and it was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

By far the worst Ive seen too. Id say Showgirls was even better. 

On 03/08/2021 at 22:54, adrynalyne said:

By far the worst Ive seen too. Id say Showgirls was even better. 

Jesus Christ, man! That was harsh. Eat a Snickers or something.  lol

But in other news... you're probably right.

Anyhow, I just finished Sweet Tooth. Pretty good show; can't wait for Season 2.

Same with The Nevers. I liked it a lot.

• Haha 2

On 04/08/2021 at 05:44, Jim K said:

The Vault - Netflix (IMDB)

Not bad ... not great.  Worth the watch if you have some free time.

Well, I'm glad you liked it. If I hadn't watched so many heist films before it, I might have enjoyed it too.

Forgot to mention Pig. I agree it's a pretty freakin' good movie.

Also, folks keep throwing Nic Cage a  lot of shade for doing these

"straight-to-video" type movies, but he's obviously having a blast

doing whatever the hell he wants. Some hit, some miss, but

it's always Nic Cage being entertaining. 

• Like 2

Jungle Cruse, it's ok if not way too disney if you know what I mean.  6/10 at best IMO.

On 06/08/2021 at 07:59, Circaflex said:

The Suicide Squad (2021) and it was FANTASTIC

Going to try and see that one tomorrow.

Godzilla vs. Kong (IMDB)

It was fine.  Eleven's side quest was kinda pointless.  Hollow earth was pretty neat.  I liked the brief battles between Godzilla and Kong ... plus the end battle though I didn't really understand wtf was going on with Mechagodzilla (he had a pilot but was also sentient via Ghidorah's severed head??). Some of the far out sci-fi stuff was really "far out" (those ships, the pods traveling from Pensacola to Hong Kong, the link between Ghidorah's severed head and Mechagodzilla, etc.).   Just give me a big monkey fighting a big lizard.

...it was fine.  I did like them giving Kong some personality/intelligence/emotion.

What was the death count in this movie?  It had to be in the 6 figures (maybe low 7 figures?). They absolutely wrecked Hong Kong which has 7-8 million people.

Wrath of Man - It seems to get a lot of hate on this thread but I liked it. 7/10

A Dark Foe - Watched it because of the good user reviews on IMDB. Too weird for me. 5/10.

On 12/08/2021 at 04:15, Steven P. said:

Love Nic Cage films but he does tend to appear in some stinkers, this is one of them. Acting was okay, I gave it a 5 but I just feel like there was no decent payoff to it.

Couldn't agree more. He was WAY more than this garbage deserved. I'd give it a 4, personally. lol

In other news, I watched Shot Caller. Pretty good freakin' movie. I'd give it 6.5, maybe 7.

It's a slow, steady burn. Even with the predictability, it's was fun and entertaining. Plus, the

cast is pretty awesome.

On 06/08/2021 at 09:29, Circaflex said:

Ugh! Watched it until the middle. It is one of the contenders for the worst film I've ever seen.

Edit: It was Inglorious Bastards meets Jackie Chan. Maybe I should start paying attention to IMDB content advisory.

Edited by Fleet Command
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 12/08/2021 at 15:30, Fleet Command said:

Ugh! Watched it until the middle. It is one of the contenders for the worst film I've ever seen.

You must not have seen F9 then. In comparison, Suicide Squad isn’t even a runner-up. 

On 05/08/2021 at 21:59, Circaflex said:

Yeah it was.