What was the last movie you watched? (2021 edition)


 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

It was bad SO BAD! So bad that I termed a new phrase "Netflix Level CGI" Boggles my mind how it still has above a 4.9 on IMDB. I gave it a rating of 1.5 out of 5.

IMDb ratings are always towards the middle somehow. Never even bother looking at them again.  5 is terrible 7 is good. Why they even bother with 1-10 is beyond me.

 

It's been at least 5-10 years or more since I switched to rotten tomatoes and metacritic (I prefer RT and I ALWAYS check the audience score - it usually is a better indicator then critics - some have 55% from critics yet 85% from the audience - usually good. And the other way round - usually Hollywood critics are kissing ass of Hollywood directors and the movie is too tedious for a regular person to appreciate

1 hour ago, Fleet Command said:

I'm not sure I wanna put Luca and Raya in the same category. Raya confuses me.

 

It seemed to me that Raya had two different directors: One who directed most of it and one who directed the end. At some point, the brass in Disney caught the first director and told him, "Dude why have you made a horror movie?" And then they changed the director to slap a good ending to it.

True - it was almost like 3 different directors.  Not sure what happened. Still I enjoyed it more then I thought I would.maybe because or the darker parts.. lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Dragon Prince was great, though. (It's from Netflix.) Also, Over the Moon (from Netflix) was not bad. I learned the word Chang'e from it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, George P said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The black suit is canon to the comics story, he's got it on when he comes back from the "dead" as it helps absorb solar radiation faster.    So, sure it looks cool but that's not the only reason it's there.

 

Spoiler

Which would have made sense if he wasn't able to kick the entire rest of the Justice Leage's ass not long before, and we've already seen him practically go from dead to super again in one of the previous films in the regular suit and a few solar rays. - I agree that it's a canon thing but it doesn't make any sense in the context of the movies.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, cacoe said:
  Hide contents

Which would have made sense if he wasn't able to kick the entire rest of the Justice Leage's ass not long before, and we've already seen him practically go from dead to super again in one of the previous films in the regular suit and a few solar rays. - I agree that it's a canon thing but it doesn't make any sense in the context of the movies.

 

Sure, but if it wasn't to begin with, then it wouldn't be in the movie.  More for the fans than anything else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Major Grom: Plague Doctor - IMDB

(Streaming on Netflix)

 

Russian movie based on a Russian comic book series.  Very entertaining...worth the watch.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. I feel that the first one was better, this one had a rather weak story line with an all-star cast. It had it's moments of course ,with Samuel L Jackson in it , you know it is going to be full of his trademark expression (Motherfu*ker!) If I was to rate it on a 10 scale, I would give it a 5 or 6, not the worst I've seen, not the best either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/07/2021 at 17:02, jnelsoninjax said:

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. I feel that the first one was better, this one had a rather weak story line with an all-star cast. It had it's moments of course ,with Samuel L Jackson in it , you know it is going to be full of his trademark expression (Motherfu*ker!) If I was to rate it on a 10 scale, I would give it a 5 or 6, not the worst I've seen, not the best either.

I was debating if i should watch it or not...  still undecided this weekend.

On 12/07/2021 at 20:41, Jim K said:

Major Grom: Plague Doctor - IMDB

(Streaming on Netflix)

 

Russian movie based on a Russian comic book series.  Very entertaining...worth the watch.

 

that looks just ridiculous enough to try (considering I can watch it in the native language LOL)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2021 at 00:02, jnelsoninjax said:

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. I feel that the first one was better, this one had a rather weak story line with an all-star cast. It had it's moments of course ,with Samuel L Jackson in it , you know it is going to be full of his trademark expression (Motherfu*ker!) If I was to rate it on a 10 scale, I would give it a 5 or 6, not the worst I've seen, not the best either.

When a movie is stacked with talent like that you have to wonder if they're not compensating for a weak script.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Fear Street trilogy on Netflix was really good. 

 

 

If you like slasher movies ... you'll probably like this (throw in a Stranger Things kinda vibe, but different).  I enjoyed Part 2 the most ... followed by 1 and 3.  3 was kinda, whatever, but it did nicely wrap everything in a bow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/07/2021 at 19:38, adrynalyne said:

Gunpowder Milkshake.

 

Not memorable.

 

 

Yea, it was ok.  Same ol' script, different movie.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/07/2021 at 18:05, Jim K said:

Yea, it was ok.  Same ol' script, different movie.  

It tried really hard to be John Wick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got a handful of newer movies waiting for me to watch but instead I killed time last night and rewatched hackers (1995), it's one of my guilty pleasures.   Is it wrong for me to actually want a sequel to it after 26 years?  😏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Black Widow…

 

So yeah - felt a bit richer than some Marvel films. Sure it became “big blockbuster action flick” after a while but I really enjoyed it and felt it added texture to the whole MCU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

About ten years late...but I finally got around to watching:

 

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  (IMDB)

 

Darn entertaining movie.  Guess it is based off a comic book...but it sure felt like a video game movie done right.

 

4.75 stars out of 5

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/07/2021 at 17:21, Jim K said:

About ten years late...but I finally got around to watching:

 

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  (IMDB)

 

Darn entertaining movie.  Guess it is based off a comic book...but it sure felt like a video game movie done right.

 

4.75 stars out of 5

Sounds vaguely familiar, especially since Anna Kendrick is in it.

 

Is one of the evil exes mentioned in the blurb, by any chance, vegan?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/07/2021 at 07:58, Fleet Command said:

Sounds vaguely familiar, especially since Anna Kendrick is in it.

 

Is one of the evil exes mentioned in the blurb, by any chance, vegan?

Yup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back then, I though "vegan" meant "a member of Vega task force."

 

But that's not a film I'd watch a second time. It's like a lolcat picture that you see once, laugh at it, and move on. In fact, once you grow up, you won't laugh at those kind of things ever again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/07/2021 at 11:42, notta said:

Just watched The Body (2012.) Had a pretty good rating on IMDB 7.6/10. Was pleasantly surprised.

I hope you watched it in Spanish though. The English dub is ... suboptimal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/07/2021 at 05:46, Fleet Command said:

I hope you watched it in Spanish though. The English dub is ... suboptimal.

I did actually. I was surprised to see there was another version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are foreign-language remakes and a couple of fan-dubs. The English one is a fan-dub. According to Wikipedia, an English remake has been licensed but not yet made.

 

I have a soft spot for this kind of stories, even though I pretty much know the ending. Everyone on screen is somehow involved, yet nobody suspects the involvement of the others because each person knows his or her own involvement. That's why I liked Wild Things (just 62% on Rotten Tomatoes ) and Knives Out (97% on Rotten Tomatoes) . Of course, if I had to choose, I'd pick Knives Out. It has a large ensemble cast, the guilty person is known from the get-go, and that person is literally incapable of lying! You think you have an open-and-shut case? You are wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/07/2021 at 09:09, Fleet Command said:

There are foreign-language remakes and a couple of fan-dubs. The English one is a fan-dub. According to Wikipedia, an English remake has been licensed but not yet made.

 

I have a soft spot for this kind of stories, even though I pretty much know the ending. Everyone on screen is somehow involved, yet nobody suspects the involvement of the others because each person knows his or her own involvement. That's why I liked Wild Things (just 62% on Rotten Tomatoes ) and Knives Out (97% on Rotten Tomatoes) . Of course, if I had to choose, I'd pick Knives Out. It has a large ensemble cast, the guilty person is known from the get-go, and that person is literally incapable of lying! You think you have an open-and-shut case? You are wrong.

loved the wild things... did not like the beginning of knives out, so i quit watching it....  but now that you say what you say... i think i will definitely revisit it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched the new He-Man series from Kevin Smith on Netflix.

I was going to write up an essay on all the reasons it sucked... but I'll just say

this, instead:  Believe the reviews on this one. It's utter crap meant to intentionally,

and specifically, crap on the very notion of the "strong male character".

 

This is NOT the He-Man you grew up with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.