Alec Baldwin 'discharged' prop gun that left cinematographer dead and director hospitalized on 'Rust' movie set

Future headline:

"Actual nuclear bomb detonates on set of nuclear war movie"

• Haha 2

On 04/11/2021 at 18:36, techbeck said:

Dwayne Johnson says he'll no longer use real guns on his company's sets following the 'Rust' tragedy

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dwayne-johnson-no-real-guns-sets-rust-143827169.html

Is it true that there are fake guns that have a CO2 cartridge in them to give a realistic-looking kick... and that also have an LED light in the barrel to make it easier to match a CGI muzzle-flash in post?

I thought I heard something like that when all this started.

On 05/11/2021 at 05:54, Michael Scrip said:

Is it true that there are fake guns that have a CO2 cartridge in them to give a realistic-looking kick... and that also have an LED light in the barrel to make it easier to match a CGI muzzle-flash in post?

Yes, it's true.

On 05/11/2021 at 01:54, Michael Scrip said:

Confirming FFM, there's a wide variety of replicas which cannot fire ammo. Some productions use Airsoft guns, others care "rubber guns" (solid polymer guns just for looks), etc.vThose which use CO2 or propane to move the slide of a replica autoloader and provide recoil.  Then too there are methods to get a muzzle flash via practical effects.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/crew-member-rust-movie-says-script-never-called-gun-be-fired-hollywood-reporter-2021-11-17/

'Rust' script never called for Baldwin gun to be fired, lawsuit alleges

LOS ANGELES, Nov 17 (Reuters) - A crew member working on the Western movie "Rust" said in a lawsuit on Wednesday that the script never called for a gun to be fired during a scene that Alec Baldwin was rehearsing when he killed a cinematographer last month.

Script supervisor Mamie Mitchell alleges Baldwin should have checked the gun himself for live ammunition rather than relying on the assistant director's assertion that the Colt .45 revolver was safe to use.

"In our opinion, Mr. Baldwin chose to play Russian Roulette when he fired a gun without checking it and without having the armorer do so in his presence," Mitchell's attorney Gloria Allred told a news conference.

Mitchell, who said she was in the line of fire, alleges assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and deliberate infliction of harm and is seeking unspecified damages in the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.

>

On 18/11/2021 at 15:02, Brandon H said:

doesn't matter, still no excuse for it to have been loaded ....

Abdsolutely true. There shouldn't have been a live round anywhere near that set.

• Like 3

On 18/11/2021 at 14:02, Brandon H said:

doesn't matter, still no excuse for it to have been loaded ....

...with live rounds. I'm still going WTF? Somthing still doesn't add up.

It sounds intentional. But why? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/11/2021 at 14:57, DocM said:

And it is a money grab. Sure.

But I can't say I blame her. Such a messed up situation - everyone is to blame... I do think that Alec got screwed but he also screwed himself. 

When I got my training toward a gun licence I was told exactly how to treat guns... And if you don't know... Don't pick up a real gun.

And yes - never point at a person, assume it is loaded and check yourself. Never keep a finger on a trigger ... All that basic safety stuff somehow skipped Baldwin...

So I am torn here.. did he know he is holding a Real Gun? If so ... It is his fault. If not.. then blame the others... 

But I am not sure he did not know.. and I am sure he felt it is not a toy... Most toys don't feel like real guns

On 18/11/2021 at 14:45, E.Worm Jimmy said:

did he know he is holding a Real Gun? If so ... It is his fault. If not.. then blame the others... 

I agree with most your points but this one. this shouldn't matter either, even a prop gun should be treated as though it were the real deal.

Too many real guns out there made to look fake that you shouldn't even chance thinking it's fake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 18/11/2021 at 15:50, Brandon H said:

I agree with most your points but this one. this shouldn't matter either, even a prop gun should be treated as though it were the real deal.

Too many real guns out there made to look fake that you shouldn't even chance thinking it's fake.

Ohh... yeah.... The Lego gun

On 18/11/2021 at 14:57, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Ohh... yeah.... The Lego gun

not even just that. people purposefully make real guns look like airsoft guns and such. It's been a problem in the past :/ 

edit: and don't even get me started on people 3D printing guns now ....

Very simple: if it looks like a gun, treat it like a loaded gun. Practice checking a weapons  status until it's reflexive.

My dad and uncles enforced that rule on every kid in sight, and we learned it at school (rifle & skeet teams). We've passed it on to our kids and grandkids. It works.

Edited by DocM
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not being familiar with how a single action handgun functions, I would like to thank Mr Schneider for his clear explanation and demonstration as to why Alec Baldwin is full of poop with his "I didn't pull the trigger" claims...

• Like 2

On 08/12/2021 at 02:28, FloatingFatMan said:

Not being familiar with how a single action handgun functions, I would like to thank Mr Schneider for his clear explanation and demonstration as to why Alec Baldwin is full of poop with his "I didn't pull the trigger" claims...

Yes, he is. Up to his ears.

As you can see, for its day (1873-1892) the Colt SAA was a very well designed and safe firearm when used correctly. It still is, which is one reason why there's still a market for it. Of course newer single action revolver designs have additional safety systems. 

Also, Mr Schneider mentioned "fanning."  This guy's using a modern Ruger revolver but the same principle applies...

Edited by DocM

The other thing I don't understand is when he told snuffleupagus that he didn't know he shot her until he was told 45 mins later. He thought she fainted?!?!?! What kind of bulls*** lie is that? I mean he also shot the director. you're telling me the director didn't mention that he was just shot in the shoulder?

• Like 2

On 19/11/2021 at 10:53, wakjak said:

ah yeah, the 3d fun epidemic, how could I have forgotten about that one... 

What the hell do you have against 3d fun?

On 08/12/2021 at 19:07, warwagon said:

The other thing I don't understand is when he told snuffleupagus that he didn't know he shot her until he was told 45 mins later. He thought she fainted?!?!?! What kind of bulls*** lie is that? I mean he also shot the director. you're telling me the director didn't mention that he was just shot in the shoulder?

Baldwin has a long history of being a self-absorbed temperamental jackass on set and off. For one thing, it cut short his casting as Jack Ryan; after his appearance in Hunt for Red October  he argued with Paramount over the Patriot Games script for months before they gave up and re-cast the role with Harrison Ford. Many problems on 30 Rock too. 

On 12/12/2021 at 10:45, xrobwx71 said:

Yeah I was sure this was posted before.

So basically it is easy test. See if the gun is so old and warn out and if not he is talking bullcrap.

But surely - someone can check it? Did they???

Also it is pretty obvious that Baldwin does not know guns so he thought it was a great excuse - not touching the trigger - cannot be blamed for reckless behavior.

But by lying he is making it worse on himself. 

On 12/12/2021 at 12:32, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Also it is pretty obvious that Baldwin does not know guns so he thought it was a great excuse - not touching the trigger - cannot be blamed for reckless behavior.

But by lying he is making it worse on himself. 

He has to be lying in a CYA attempt.

Baldwin's done many action films with firearms where the actors must have had training (esp. Hunt For Red October).  Any decent prosecutor would  beat him up & down  with that.