Do u believe in Aliens?

do they exist??  

435 members have voted

1. 1. do they exist??

• YES
    • NO

OK, show me hard evidence that non-carbon-based life can exist and I'll consider changing my opinion :p Or show me a living creature that's not carbon-based and I'll change my opinion right now :laugh:

i remember watching science channel and one of the scientist said that we need to think outside the box that what if there is non-carbon based life or life that doesnt require water. it could be possible because what we know as the requirements for life is only relative to whats on earth or around us.

Actually there is an equation that can be used to predict the number of civilizations that might be capable of communication, which would be a lot smaller than actual planets having life which might not be able to communicate. It's called the Drake Equation and I have provided a link below that can be used to calculate that number. You can use your own assumptions or click more for scientific estimates to use.

http://www.pbs.org/lifebeyondearth/listening/drake.html

Yeah, the Drake Equation is just that though, an equation. It's what you put in for the different variables that determines the outcome. Based on my inputs (which I believe are moderately accurate) it estimated 0.00009375 "communicative civilizations in the Milky Way" :rolleyes: Which more or less agrees with me, as I'm sure your results will agree with you :p

i really serioiulsy doubt taht we are the only life in the universe. i totally believe in aliens....but not scary ones. happy ones. like blueshirt said "futurama" i mean c'mon. that'd be cool.

lol

happy aliens?

i also believe in those too

Yes-especially as I watch Invader Zim on Nickelodeon which I find quite spooky (its main character is an Irken invader called Zim).

post-92-1089195141.jpg

I don't think that everything being just right is a coincidence, I think that these elements or 'features' of the earth have been averaged over the 3.5 billion years, the very reason why one feature might be just right is because it's been predetermined by another feature. (eg: room temperture can't get above x*C because the OZone would allow that tempreture it it's weakest point, the ozone is x thickness because the air is y dense, etc etc.)

All this is caused by a reason, and there is a reason for everything, and it's one Giant Loop (like the water cycle), this is also known as a Biosphere.. Sure some things can't be caused by anything as my theory suggests, but that's why humans have adapted to these 'coincidental' conditions. I support the theory that Humans/Mammels/Life started as bacteria or a single organism and evolved from there.

And who's says an alien life form would need to breath air. We all presume aliens would require the same things we do (gravity, air, water), but I dont think things necessarily have to be that way

Given the size of the universe, the size of the part of it that we know of, it would be foolish to be 100% sure that some form of alien (read: any life form that isn't reated to life on earth) does NOT exist ANYWHERE in the vast universe. As stated above.

Edit: The existence of independant life systems on our own planet (e.g. the one that revolve around the things at the bottom of a very deep sea) speaks for itself.

i will start beleiving in aliens when they hijack my arse.

anyway, i believe in alien lifeforms as in viruses or amoebas or something. that's it.

Well, my physics teacher told me once in class that he watched some guy prove mathimatically that there are at least 200 or 200000 (dont remember exactly but something with 200 lol) more planets like Earth in the universe.

Well, my physics teacher told me once in class that he watched some guy prove mathimatically that there are at least 200 or 200000 (dont remember exactly but something with 200 lol) more planets like Earth in the universe.

nope

Wow, what an insightful counterargument.

Care to go into details why you think these numbers are off?

The existence of independant life systems on our own planet (e.g. the one that revolve around the things at the bottom of a very deep sea) speaks for itself.

Some pretty funky stuff down there. Saw a bunch of creatures they caught in the deep sea.

What makes him wrong and you right? Hmm.. do I want to put my faith in a book writen 2-3 thousand years ago or my faith in the ever changing science and the world I see? No contest. Science. My views will change as new evidence comes, but I prefer to open my mind to the possibilty, unlike some people.

lol

Sorry bud. My faith proves itself daily. 2-3 K years old? It's new every minute. Wanna see "God Stories"?? I could give you pages of "God Stories." Miracles. I've witnessed them. Open my eyes to something else? Think outside the box? My young friend, there is no where else to look. Why deal in possibility when I deal in fact?

:rofl: I must laugh at you BOOGMaster?, there is no such thing as a miracle(cept mabye if niether bush nor kerry wins the presidential election, then I'd believe, mabye).

As for aliens, to think that we are special is ignorant and stupid.

Edit: Nah, I still wouldn't believe in miracles. A miracle is an impossibility that happens. That means a miracle is impossible, iit doesn't happenb>.

nope

Why? Can you prove that its wrong? My physics teacher and the guy that he watched are a lot smarter taht you are and probably a lot smarter than you will ever be...

Why? Can you prove that its wrong? My physics teacher and the guy that he watched are a lot smarter taht you are and probably a lot smarter than you will ever be...
Not even going to bother with this anymore.

fact: It's impossible to know if other life exists.

Which makes this philosophy not science.

fact: No planets discovered like our home earth.

you might have a physics or a math teacher backing you up but I have thousands of scientist backing me up.

Edit: Nah, I still wouldn't believe in miracles. A miracle is an impossibility that happens. That means a miracle is impossible, ie it doesn't happen.

A lot more things are possible than you might think. According to quantum mechanics you do have a chance of walking through something that is solid like a wall. Quantum calculations shows that you do have that chance but you would have to walk into the wall continuously almost for an eternity for this to actually happen.

fact: It's impossible to know if other life exists.

Oh, wait, so if SETI receives parseable signals from outer space, we're struck in a paradoxon with your claim then?

fact: No planets discovered like our home earth.
Nasa might want to disagree.
you might have a physics or a math teacher backing you up but I have thousands of scientist backing me up.

Can I get a list?

Yeah, Id like to see the list of people backing you up as well.

Also, you sound like a lot of people here who dont use their minds to well (I dont mean to hurt you). Who ever said that aliens breath air and need water to survive? Maybe they breath something that we dont have on Earth if they even breath and maybe they drink something other than water? Have you thought of that? You can prove me all day that there are no other planets like Earth in the universe but it still proves nothing about the existance of aliens.

Edit, forgot to add something:

"fact: It's impossible to know if other life exists."

Nothing is impossible. Its just a question of time until we have the technology to actually go out and search for other life. Ill bet you that 10 years before the moon landing (if it wasnt faked..) some people thought that it will be impossible to land on the moon, yet its been done (again, if not faked... lol).

Aliens exist. What's the chances that there would be a couple billion lifeforms on our planet, and not a single lifeform somewhere else in the galaxy? It's virtually impossible.

A lot more things are possible than you might think. According to quantum mechanics you do have a chance of walking through something that is solid like a wall. Quantum calculations shows that you do have that chance but you would have to walk into the wall continuously almost for an eternity for this to actually happen.

Then that wouldn't be a miracle, would it?

This would be a miracle: a proof of what the last digit in sqrt(2) is(sorry for the math reference, I am having trouble thinking of something that has been proven impossible, other than a math problem)

Something with a statistical probibility of aproximately 0 is not impossible, it is just unlikely.