Do u believe in Aliens?

do they exist??  

435 members have voted

1. 1. do they exist??

• YES
    • NO

just think about how large this universe is. You would have to be a dumb**** to not believe in aliens.

They probably do exist in some microbiotic form out there somewhere. Maybe even more advanced life especially if Mars can be proven to have contained life. The fact that there could have been two habitable planets in one solar system certains places the odds of extra terrestrial life much, much higher.

The trouble is that intelligent/sentient life is destined to only live a short while. The candle that burns brightly lasts half as long. At least if the human model holds.

I still voted no, because I see the underlying question as being. Will we ever have contact with them? And the answer to that question is no. The point that they may be out there isn't really relevant if we never find them, meet them or contact them.

Space is big. Mind bogglingly big.

just think about how large this universe is. You would have to be a dumb**** to not believe in aliens.

Exactly.

i figure theres gotta be somethign out there.. im not saying its another advanced life form like ours.. it may just be a small plant or something.. but then again, it could be something way more advanced than us.. we may never know..

First, let me start with the hypothetical. Do I believe aliens could exist? Sure, look at us. Think about it, to a species on another planet, WE are aliens. Now, let's be a little more realistic. Do I believe life exists outside Earth right now? No. Do I believe we'll ever meet an alien species? No.

Here's what I think: What do you need for basic life (not intelligent life - amoebas, bacteria, maybe even plants) to not only start, but survive? Well, our best scientific evidence says you'd need a planet that has an atmosphere made up of a delicately balanced mix of certain chemicals, with temperatures within a very limited range, liquid water, and habitable land. Plus, you'd need a weather system that won't demolish anything that pops up on the planet (Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, etc). This means an electro-magnetic field with just the right amount of energy, among other things. Earth's EM field has a huge impact on our weather systems. If you've never seen the movie The Core, it does a good job explaining how the EM field works (the rest of the story is a bit of a highly unlikely phenomena, though). If you take a moment to think, Earth is almost "strange" compared to all the other planets we know of. However, this strangeness is exactly what is needed for life to survive.

Now, how many planets besides the ones in our solar system do you think exist in our galaxy? The universe? I would guess a few hundred thousand to several million, but I'm horrible at these types of things. After seeing what is needed merely for basic life to grow and thrive, how many planets (known or unknown) would be able to sustain an ecosystem? Now, of all those ecosystems, how many will possibly have creatures that evolve into intelligent life? I have to imagine a very few number, if any.

Now, add into all this the huge factor of time. As of January 2003, the universe is estimated to be between 11.2 and 20 billion years old (Source). The earliest estimates as to when life started on Earth is about 3.5 billion years ago (Source). This means that it took approximately 3.5 billion years (a few thousand years doesn't much matter when you're dealing with this large an amount of time) for life on Earth to evolve into "intelligent" life. Not to mention we haven't even begun to explore much further outside the furthest reaches of our solar system...

Next, how long does life last on a planet? We know that in about 7 billion years, our sun will turn into a red giant, engulfing Earth and burning everything we've ever touched. That assumes the sun doesn't turn into a white dwarf, giving off much less light than our sun currently does, freezing Earth and probably all life on it within a few hundred years. Here's a link that discusses the different types of stars and their life cycles: source.

So basically, life only survives for a certain amount of time before its obliterated, one way or another. Within the short window that life exists on a planet, the chances of any intelligent life on that planet finding/reaching/communicating with life of any other kind on another planet are slim to none. This is why I believe humans will never see any alien life, let alone in our lifetime. Unless we discover a way of collecting energy from something other than the sun (or something that got it from the sun in the first place), we're not going anywhere when the sun explodes/collapses. The chances are just completely incalculable and too small to even begin to fully imagine. Feel free to believe whatever you want, just know that the odds are against it by an incredible margin.

Here's what I think: What do you need for basic life (not intelligent life - amoebas, bacteria, maybe even plants) to not only start, but survive? Well, our best scientific evidence says you'd need a planet that has an atmosphere made up of a delicately balanced mix of certain chemicals, with temperatures within a very limited range, liquid water, and habitable land. Plus, you'd need a weather system that won't demolish anything that pops up on the planet (Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, etc). This means an electro-magnetic field with just the right amount of energy, among other things. Earth's EM field has a huge impact on our weather systems. If you've never seen the movie The Core, it does a good job explaining how the EM field works (the rest of the story is a bit of a highly unlikely phenomena, though). If you take a moment to think, Earth is almost "strange" compared to all the other planets we know of. However, this strangeness is exactly what is needed for life to survive.

I don't think that everything being just right is a coincidence, I think that these elements or 'features' of the earth have been averaged over the 3.5 billion years, the very reason why one feature might be just right is because it's been predetermined by another feature. (eg: room temperture can't get above x*C because the OZone would allow that tempreture it it's weakest point, the ozone is x thickness because the air is y dense, etc etc.)

All this is caused by a reason, and there is a reason for everything, and it's one Giant Loop (like the water cycle), this is also known as a Biosphere.. Sure some things can't be caused by anything as my theory suggests, but that's why humans have adapted to these 'coincidental' conditions. I support the theory that Humans/Mammels/Life started as bacteria or a single organism and evolved from there.

The chances are just completely incalculable and too small to even begin to fully imagine. Feel free to believe whatever you want, just know that the odds are against it by an incredible margin.

If they can find evidence that life, even the simpliest forms, ever existed on Mars then this will tell us that Earth is NOT unique and that not only is there likely to be life in other solar systems but such life could actually be plentiful.

The latest info says that salty seas (essential to the formation of life) did exist on Mars.

That doesn't mean that Earthlings will ever meet them. But when you stare out into the stars, a single celled organism could be "staring" back at you.

Of course, but I doubt we will make contact with creatures that have ben portrayed in science fiction films.

Ben as in Affleck?

Yes. I think that we can't be all alone in the Universe.

Why not? :huh: I've seen so many people say this (in not so many words) and I just can't see why not. What gives you any idea that we aren't?

I'm no expert here, but I think the chances of life (of any kind, intelligent or not) existing outside Earth is possible....now I don't have any sources to back this up unfortunatly (cause what I'm basing my knowledge on documentaries I watched on TV :blush: ) but life is actually quite adapatable, now as it has been stated to have intelligent life like say us, the conditions are quite specific and need tobe just right...but for things such as single celled organisms and other lifeforms of a more "basic" nature, the conditions for thier existance are not as strict, as on Earth life has been discovered in the depths of the ocean, volcanoes, and other places many have thought were impossible to support any kind of life, but they do...it is beleived that such life could of existed on Mars (or other planets for that matter), I remember reading somewhere that after the discovery of life existing at the deepest parts of the ocean, some scientist now beleive that there is a tiny chance (very tiny) that such life could exist beneath the ice covered surface of Jupiter's moon Europa, and even Saturn's moon Titan, scientist speculate that some signs of life could be there too...anyway the universe is a big place and is getting bigger all the time, new stars, planets etc are been "born" and "die" all the time, maybe somewhere in another galaxy a young planet just like Earth is begining to show signs of life..or perhaps the opposite an Earth like planet that has life is about tobe destroyed by it's dieing Sun...I think life is definetly out there in some form or another, just we may never see it..but then I guess that brings forth the question, if we can find no life..that mean there isn't any? the truth is I think we may never know the answer...another thing to consider is perhaps there is Intelligent life and they don't wish tobe found? Anyway, I don't think it's a matter of "does life exist outside Earth?"...more "will we find it?" well that's my view, I'm not here to say who is right or wrong, just to share my views.

OT: There is so much we don't know about the universe, I think anything is possible...hell till recently they thought the speed of light was constant! it's not! it's actually slowly getting faster (Source)

NOTE: if you read the article, it's not actually a fact yet, they "believe" it's not constant, there is plenty of circumstantial evidence, but no hard evidence...yet..still it makes you think, what do we really know about the universe?

Well that's me done, you don't have to agree with it, everyone has the right to thier own opinion, this is mine.