Do u believe in Aliens?

do they exist??  

435 members have voted

1. 1. do they exist??

• YES
    • NO

I believe that there are species, [unlike what we portray them as] out there. It's impossible that with the chaos theory to occur we are the only result of it.

It's impossible that with the chaos theory to occur we are the only result of it.

Keep in mind that chaos theory is still a theory. I don't know anything about it though, so I can't comment any more on it.

I'm no expert here, but I think the chances of life (of any kind, intelligent or not) existing outside Earth is possible....now I don't have any sources to back this up unfortunatly (cause what I'm basing my knowledge on documentaries I watched on TV  :blush: ) but life is actually quite adapatable, now as it has been stated to have intelligent life like say us, the conditions are quite specific and need tobe just right...but for things such as single celled organisms and other lifeforms of a more "basic" nature, the conditions for thier existance are not as strict, as on Earth life has been discovered in the depths of the ocean, volcanoes, and other places many have thought were impossible to support any kind of life, but they do...it is beleived that such life could of existed on Mars (or other planets for that matter), I remember reading somewhere that after the discovery of life existing at the deepest parts of the ocean, some scientist now beleive that there is a tiny chance (very tiny) that such life could exist beneath the ice covered surface of Jupiter's moon Europa, and even Saturn's moon Titan, scientist speculate that some signs of life could be there too...anyway the universe is a big place and is getting bigger all the time, new stars, planets etc are been "born" and "die" all the time, maybe somewhere in another galaxy a young planet just like Earth is begining to show signs of life..or perhaps the opposite an Earth like planet that has life is about tobe destroyed by it's dieing Sun...I think life is definetly out there in some form or another, just we may never see it..but then I guess that brings forth the question, if we can find no life..that mean there isn't any? the truth is I think we may never know the answer...another thing to consider is perhaps there is Intelligent life and they don't wish tobe found? Anyway, I don't think it's a matter of "does life exist outside Earth?"...more "will we find it?" well that's my view, I'm not here to say who is right or wrong, just to share my views.

OT: There is so much we don't know about the universe, I think anything is possible...hell till recently they thought the speed of light was constant! it's not! it's actually slowly getting faster (Source)

NOTE: if you read the article, it's not actually a fact yet, they "believe" it's not constant, there is plenty of circumstantial evidence, but no hard evidence...yet..still it makes you think, what do we really know about the universe?

Well that's me done, you don't have to agree with it, everyone has the right to thier own opinion, this is mine.

Yes, life is adaptable. But only so much. Most of the places in the universe are uninhabitable, and if they aren't, certainly not habitable for intelligent life.

As for life on Mars, I believe we found that life did once exist on Mars, when it had water and the atmosphere was different. However, this life was in a very basic form, creatures made up of only a few cells. I once read about the possibility of life on Europa, but I think it's not really likely. Our best instruments say there may be liquid water under the ice on the surface of Europa and Callisto. Even if there is water there, I'll bet there's nothing living there. Can you imagine how cold it is down there? Sure, life lives in the deepest parts of our oceans, but they're not covered by ice either... I've never heard anything about Titan (not even the name) so I'll stay out of that for now.

Yes, galaxies/planets are being "born" all the time, but it's on a different scale of time. It's not like a new one is "born" in five minutes, it takes more like 500 million years. Assuming the necessary climate on a newly formed planet, that life starts more or less immediately on the planet, and that intelligent life will appear in approximately 3.5 billion years, it will be at least ~3.5 billion years before we could communicate with intelligent life. By that time, Earth itself will be a much different place, if humans don't go crazy and bring everyone into a nuclear winter, killing everything on the planet.

Basically, like I said before, the possibility is there, but the chances of it happening are incredibly small.

Also, about the speed of light, I've heard that too, and it's very interesting. We'll have to wait and see where it goes :)

I've never heard anything about Titan (not even the name) so I'll stay out of that for now.

Well like I said before, scientists are only speculating right now, but I find it facinating, here are some links to some sites to get you going on this, hope you find it as fancinating as I did :)

Life on Titan

Here is a paper written about it.

Also if you don't already know, the Cassini-Huygens space probe (which will arrive at Saturn next month) will be sending a probe (Huygens) into Titan, to try and find out what is down there :cool:

For more info on that go here.

Edited by Xerxes

Here's what I think: What do you need for basic life (not intelligent life - amoebas, bacteria, maybe even plants) to not only start, but survive? Well, our best scientific evidence says you'd need a planet that has an atmosphere made up of a delicately balanced mix of certain chemicals, with temperatures within a very limited range, liquid water, and habitable land. Plus, you'd need a weather system that won't demolish anything that pops up on the planet (Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, etc). This means an electro-magnetic field with just the right amount of energy, among other things.

Your assuming aliens will be carbon based lifeforms like ourselfs.

The fact is you dont know what is needed to support any sort of alien life, we have adapted to our environment, its safe to assume that if there are aliens out there, they have adapted to whatever environment they are living in.

OK, show me hard evidence that non-carbon-based life can exist and I'll consider changing my opinion :p Or show me a living creature that's not carbon-based and I'll change my opinion right now :laugh:

Hell NO!

There is no evidence whatsoever of extra-terrestrial intelligent life. People tend to think there must be something else out there because the universe is so unimaginably big. Why would that be a premise to have other intelligent life out there? It's probably our nature that we WANT to meet other intelligent life. Aliens live in our imagination and that will be it.

We don't even know exactly how to qualify "intelligent life". Sure, you can say "carbon-based life" but in that case it's even a bigger NO. Like it's already pointed out before by Gameguy, we seem to be really lucky to have developed to what we are now, given the fact that there are so many conditions to make this kind of life survive.

Besides, something that hasn't been mentioned yet, could be of even greater importance to the question of possible existance of life elsewhere in the universe. I'm talking about our special little well-balanced position in our solar system here, the ideal position of that system in our milkyway and so on..

Especially good since there are blasting explosions of extraordinary violence through the universe every day, now known as Death Stars! Guess we're even more lucky we haven't been blown away already..

If you start to add up all the parameters that have to be in the right place and have to be tweaked well enough, you kind of get baffled by our very existance itself. That is the beauty of it. We ARE special, there is no way we will ever encounter earth-like life. Of course I cannot prove this, but the fun of it is neither can anyone of you prove the opposite. :cool:

Yes, CAN support life. I'm sure there are some out there that can support life too. But ability is one thing, and actually having life is another...

Alright my opinion on it is that I do believe in life outside of Earth. Why? Because the universe is insanely big.

Here is my reason behind all this thinking...

About 400 years ago we had a scientist named Galileo Galilei. He believed that we spun around the sun, instead of the sun spinning around us. A lot of people believed Earth, was the center of the universe. Today the idea of alien life is as postpostrous as when Galileo realized we spun around the sun.

You can really compare it to that exactly. People had a little data but still didn't believe Galileo and he was condemned to his home. Ideas that will change the fiber of our society scares people, for hundreds of years. People are scared and they have every right to be. Just like Galileo's data that we spun around the sun, it was spotty. Today, data on alien life is even spottier with the help of our world governments (e.g. the US).

Yes I think aliens exist. Are they amoung us, probably not. Will they ever show up, who knows. What I think is that deep out in space, aliens already have formed some sort of organization. We know the universe is much older than our solar system and that we are relatively new to the game, so it can't be hard to believe that some plantes are ahead of us by millions, or billions of years. Since we humans aren't really advanced yet, as in no human has ever traveled past the moon, those aliens may have some sort of agreement not to touch us until we are ready. So this prevents them from touching down in front of the white house lawn or UN building, or worse put us into slavery... 7 billion slaves sound pretty good to any "evil" doing race.

If there is one thing history has taught us, it is that Earth, or humans, are NOT the center of the universe. When Galileo proclaimed that 400 years ago, he was banished. If it is to believe that there aliens amoung us, that belief is tarnished beyond repair. It will throw the western society into chaos. Until we stop fighting with ourselves and set our differences aside, I doubt that any alien would want to receive us with open arms. Until then... we will be restricted to our solar system and it's only vegatated planet, Earth.

Same here, I also believe that there is intelligent life other than our own due to the fact that there are billions and billions of stars just in our galaxy alone, and out of those billions of stars, there could be millions with planets, and out of that, a few hundred thousand with planets like our own, maybe a few thousand with conditions like ours, and that's just in this galaxy alone. There has got to be life around other star systems. The probability of this is so great due to the vastness of the entire universe.

There are so many theories as to why we haven't made contact, the simplest being we have no means of reaching other lifeforms due to the primitive technology we have in that department. We have no "WARP" drive or anything like that just as a reference. We cannot travel the speed of light. An alien race probably hasn't even came around us because we are just a little dot in the middle of a huge galaxy.

Yes, CAN support life. I'm sure there are some out there that can support life too. But ability is one thing, and actually having life is another...

Do you believe in God gameguy??

and back on topic, yes I do :alien: