Suse 9.1 etc for FREE

The software is for evaluation purposes, there is no limit on them, they are not feature crippled or anything like that.

It's the full package pretty much. (Minus the huge manuals and etc.)

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks!!

I hate to ummm... take advantage of Novell but you could probably make some pretty good money selling this stuff on ebay :ninja: Btw, is the Ximian Desktop 2.0 limited somehow?

Just got mine today

3 DVD's in a cardboard sleeve,

Quite nice... only problem :*( No DVD rom drives cept an external USB 2 DVD+R/RW

Does the suse linux enterprise server 8 include the mainetnance web support? I know that suse 9 pro lets you download updates withoud any passwords but sles 8 requires a registration number. Has anyone tried updating sles 8 yet?

thanks

what did they ship the package in? FedEX? UPS? Mail Express? I'm still waiting on mine.... :( :( getting rather anxious.

Regular mail. Nothing fancy.

It's nice that they're doing this and all, but why oh why do they have to make work for us? They provide one DVD ISO and then DVD's with 3 CD ISOs on them. Why couldn't they combine the 3 CD ISO set into a DVD ISO?

/rant

Anyway, got mine last Friday. Planning on clearing a partition and installing next week sometime.

It's nice that they're doing this and all, but why oh why do they have to make work for us? They provide one DVD ISO and then DVD's with 3 CD ISOs on them. Why couldn't they combine the 3 CD ISO set into a DVD ISO?

/rant

Anyway, got mine last Friday. Planning on clearing a partition and installing next week sometime.

Well its cheaper for them to distribute it in this way. Plus we're getting it for free, so I ain't complaining.

/rant

well this way u can use some .iso mounting tool and mount them as CD drives .. no burning necessary :)

BTW .. anyone know a good CD image mounting app in Linux ?

well this way u can use some .iso mounting tool and mount them as CD drives .. no burning necessary :)

BTW .. anyone know a good CD image mounting app in Linux ?

Isn't that a mount option?

Specify a filesystem type of ISO9660 buy using -t iso9660 in your mount command, I think...

Well, my set arrived the other day and I had to bin Mr RAID 0 array as YAsT said it was only software RAID and any partition configuration changes would destroy all the data :(

So an hour later (after ghosting my WinXP, killing my RAID and ghosting the XP image back to my first 160GB SATA drive) I finally get to start the install. Now all I need is to get Open GL support sorted on my Radeon and get playing UT2003 :)

As a side note, I'm now in work and I'm installing SUSE 9.1 on my Athlon 64 rig. When the disc booted I got a message "Nice Computer but.... - you are about to install 32-bit software on a 64-bit computer"

I thought that it was a 64-bit OS. Can anybody offer any advice on how to force 64bit??

According to

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=suse

SUSE doesn't make a 64-bit version.

Yes, Linux runs on many archetectures, but distro makers must decide what platforms to support. Right now SUSE doesn't appear to have released x86-64 support yet (neither does Mandrake). Other distros, such as Fedora, do.

Look around in distrowatch and find one that does, if you want to install a 64-bit Linux onto your system.

(If I am wrong here, please correct my info without being rude. I am just reporting what distrowatch has for their info) ;)

P.S. I really like the message they post when you try to install 32-bit SUSE on a 64-bit CPU. :D

According to

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=suse

SUSE doesn't make a 64-bit version.

Yes, Linux runs on many archetectures, but distro makers must decide what platforms to support. Right now SUSE doesn't appear to have released x86-64 support yet (neither does Mandrake). Other distros, such as Fedora, do.

Look around in distrowatch and find one that does, if you want to install a 64-bit Linux onto your system.

(If I am wrong here, please correct my info without being rude. I am just reporting what distrowatch has for their info) ;)

P.S. I really like the message they post when you try to install 32-bit SUSE on a 64-bit CPU. :D

http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/su...prof/64bit.html

Seems to indicate that it is 64 bit???

By default - without any add-ons - SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional supports AMD's Athlon 64 and Intel's? upcoming Extended Memory 64 Technology. Thus SUSE presents a 64-bit operating system and applications that make full use of the high performance and speed of these 64bit processors

Oh and the message is cool isn't it? :DD

The 64 bit version is a completely seperate distro on another disk, it works ok I guess, I just despise rpms.

The 64 bit version is a completely seperate distro on another disk, it works ok I guess, I just despise rpms.

So the free package from Novell will not include the 64-bit disk I guess :(