Suse 9.1 etc for FREE

Damn! Still waiting for the shipping notice.

I hope the shipping cost from US to UK is not going to be to big?

Shipping cost!?

Thank you for ordering the Linux Technical Resource Kit from the Novell Customer Communities. Your order has been received, and will ship within the next 7-10 business days.

And im in the uk too :unsure:

don't think there will be a shipping cost... no bank or credit card details were needed... it can't cost them much to ship anyway, so why should they bother charging?

don't think there will be a shipping cost... no bank or credit card details were needed... it can't cost them much to ship anyway, so why should they bother charging?

You will receive the following when they are ready to ship. I received this yesterday morning. BTW, no shpping involved. It's FREE :)

I just wanted to let you know that the free Tech resource kit you have

ordered has been shipped

and you should be receiving it soon.

Brent Sharp

Novell Customer Communities

:woot:

- Ximian Desktop 2.0 Evaluation (ISO Image)

- Red Carpet 2.0.2 Evaluation (ISO Image)

So the rest are not evaluations? I hope my package comes soon! Does Evaluation mean it has a trial day limit, or that it is not suppose to be used for buisness applications w/o a license.

What the heck are these 2 things anyway? Is Ximian Desktop like KDE or Gnome? I guess it is good that novell is doing this, because it is making us all want to educate ourselves on their products.

yeah i woudl also like to know what the situation is with the evaluation software. does it have a time limit or limited features etc?

i wonder how many days it will take to get to australia, lol. its on its way here now :)

yeah i woudl also like to know what the situation is with the evaluation software. does it have a time limit or limited features etc?

i wonder how many days it will take to get to australia, lol. its on its way here now :)

This isn't the Windows shareware world :whistle:

By evaluation, they probably mean that support is not included (like it is when you purchase it from them) and probably to discorage commerial use. The whole idea of the giveaway is to allow SysAdmins to try out the software, before purchasing for major deployments.

Just say this thread, and signed up this moment. Got the email pretty much immediately. I'll add it to the collection of Linux Distros that i have yet to learn how to use. Sweet free stuff!!!

Well, to get a 100% clear answer to the shipping and toll costs I mailed Kim Wright at Novell.

Heres my reply:

The kit is absolutely free and Novell will pay for shipping. Duties are all paid by Novell too.

Thanks.

Kim

Novell Customs

So no more worries about that :)

Finnaly got my shipping notice at last, waited a week or so for it hope it doesnt take to long to get here im desprately waiting to install linux.

w000000000t. i juts got mine. im in CA USA. Anyone else?

Edit: it comes on 3 DVD's :drool:

Just got mine today, and just finished installing Suse 9.1 (demo). Where can things like antivirus programs be found? Thank for any suggestions.

Although you are much less likely to need a virus scanner under Linux, the truth of the matter is, Linux has viruses to.

They may be few and far between, but they happen occassionally. In fact, I believe there have been 4 known viruses for Linux thus far this year. However, Symantec and many other companies believe eventually there will be a large attack on Linux systems. It's really only a matter of time if you think about it.

And no, I don't know which virus scanner to use under Linux, as far as I know Fprot and Bitdefender offer Linux versions. Kaspersky also. Not sure about any others.

lmao antivirus proram. hah. you dont need one.

Anti-virus is certainly needed for a mixed environment when using a Linux server as mailserver or an SMB share on a network.

As pointed out earlier, Linux is not immune to viruses. Though they will generally run only with the user's permissions, damage can still be done, and they can propogate.

One source of Linux AV that hasn't been mentioned is Network Associates.

http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/products/...linuxshield.htm

Got my copy in the mail today, too. :D

(another US delivery. Any deliveries in other countries yet?)

Hmmm, I guess Florida will take awhile to get this lol figures I signed up days before you guys and I'll be the last to get it in the mail :D

(another US delivery. Any deliveries in other countries yet?)

I got an email on Monday saying that it had shipped, but I haven't received anything yet. I'm in the UK so I'd imaging it'll be here either tomorrow (Sat) or on Monday.