Norton AntiVirus (XP-SP2) - Fix Now Available

*still waiting for 2003 liveupdate to notice a patch...not seeing anything*

:pinch:

Yah, I haven't updated to SP2, but Im using Norton Antivirus Professional 2003. If I can't use it for SP2, I might have to upgrade to another company that caters to all of their products and not just the newest one.

Of course I have to figure out which one does that. :p

I think I found a bug...

I installed the patch, and the security center now sees Norton running.

But if you disable Norton, the security center still reports it as "up to date and virus scanning is on".

Oh well. At least the pop-up warnings are gone! :)

Geee, only one of the most common AntiVirus programs... it's really sloppy that they have only just added support.

nothing biggie... who cares bout what status it shows. I doubt anyone would find it useful.

you can tick "i have a [firewall/antivirus] which i monitor myself" option. The pop up warning will not appear.

truth be told though. Norton should've released this update at least a week before XP SP2 was released

not unless MS kept the release dates quiet from 3rd party Application manufacturers...which is kind of sloppy IMO. ;)

I would say Symantec don't really treat the security center patch as important. You can see other companies also haven't even started to support sp2 yet. For example, as of now, Sygate firewall isn't supported by security center.

"not unless MS kept the release dates quiet from 3rd party Application manufacturers...which is kind of sloppy IMO."

I do know that Trend Micro was being recognized at least on the last two builds before RTM and I saw where other AV's were being recognized so I doubt that this what happened. It looks more towards being Symantec's fault. They probably concentrated on the Corps first and just recently begin working on the personal line.

SAV Corp 8 is schedule for the 18th of August.

For more details on the timeline of estimated patches for the Corporate line, please check this link.

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.1.1 August 18 - 31, 2004

So it could be later then the 18th :(

winseccenter.PNG

if i dont use security center (disabled the services), there's no reason why i should patch right ?

Guess not, that's the only reason for the patch. But when you run LiveUpdate, it will patch your software anyway, so it doesn't really matter!