Norton AntiVirus (XP-SP2) - Fix Now Available

I didnt get it until like just 10 mins ago, (SAV 10) I got a new version of LiveUpdate oddly enuff its the one used in the beta version of NAV 2005. I got Symantec Client Security and i got the patch off the new LU, anyway NAV users can get it here, thanks to Radish :D

https://www.neowin.net/staff/RadishTM/Norton_WMI_Update.rar

finally a copy of the standalong version. Live Update 2.5 looks ok, serves the same purpose though

Thanks Radish

Hmm... I too am seeing this on one of my machines... I think it has to do with checking or unchecking that "Norton Security Alert" that said "Do not share Norton security status with other products. (Recommended)"

So... Perhaps soon we'll have more info, but it sure would be nice to have the option of changing that "Norton Security Alert" setting... I mean, I have verified that the Norton WMI service is running on that one machine, yet if I disable Auto-Protect, Windows Security Center still thinks all is good.

Whereas, on my OTHER machines, things work correctly: disable Auto-Protect = RED ALERT = ANNOYING BALLOON.

I hope to have some answers, because this is really bugging me darnit :)

I think I found the solution to this "bug" of Norton not announcing security information to Windows... After you get the "Norton Security Alert" that says "Do not share Norton security status with other products. (Recommended)" ..... registry keys are set to store your choice.

I've done some testing (on my NAV2004), and have found the key that you can switch to enable or disable Norton from sharing its status.

The following key can be changed even while NAV is running, and should instantly work... test it by disabling and enabling Auto-Protect while having Windows Security Center set up appropriately.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\SymSC\NoBroadcast

REG_BINARY:

00 = Norton SHARES security information with Windows Security Center, and WSC will read CORRECTLY.

01 = Norton DOES NOT share info, and WSC says "Norton appears fine" even if you disable AutoProtect!

I hope this helps someone... this has been ****ing me off for a while, and I'm happy I stumbled onto the solution :)

If you look at the site I posted on the previous page -

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/share...src=con_web_nam

A couple of days back it said Symantec would support 2002 through to 2004 products, now it's just 2004.

Symantec have disappointed me since I have one PC with 2004 products, and the other with 2003 products :/

Radish?

A couple of days back it said Symantec would support 2002 through to 2004 products, now it's just 2004.

Symantec have disappointed me since I have one PC with 2004 products, and the other with 2003 product:/:/

Radish?

That is just whack! Dude said it worked fine with 2002. Did they disable the ability after the fact? If so, that is horribly lame.

Indeed, only time will tell if they release the patch for older products via LiveUpdate - but I won't hold my breath.

Radish?

SP2 is not turning out to be what I expected. Folks are saying that the new Windows Firewall does not block outbound like it was supposed to, and I'm gunshy to test it as it seems to have nuked my machine for some reason. Plus it broke OE 6 and OE-QuoteFix, which I rely on.

Think SP2 is more trouble than it is worth for me, given that I already have a lot of the security pieces in place and am fairly well protected with MyIE 2, having turned off Scripting in IE by default, running Norton 2002, having a hardware firewall, etc.

Just bummer-er and bummer-er... :o

Since I doubt they'll release the patch, I just told Security Center I would keep my AV monitored manually. Better than waiting for a release that may not happen.

Symantec have disappointed me since I have one PC with 2004 products, and the other with 2003 product:/:/

Radish?

Thanks for the heads up Radi:)? :)

2003 with WMI works fine. :rofl:

Well it isnt that funny Powerless, but im sure ur right, but why did symantec change the silly document to just 2004 then, a bit silly me finks :wacko:

I didnt get it until like just 10 mins ago, (SAV 10) I got a new version of LiveUpdate oddly enuff its the one used in the beta version of NAV 2005. I got Symantec Client Security and i got the patch off the new LU, anyway NAV users can get it here, thanks to Radish  :D

https://www.neowin.net/staff/RadishTM/Norton_WMI_Update.rar

I know it isnt "written" for 2003 Pro, but still installed it, and heck, works GREAT! now SP2 works with my copy of 2003 Pro!

Also, I am NOT seeing any bugs. (when i disable antivirus, Sp2's Security Center Tells me so!)

Cheers! :D

Since I doubt they'll release the patch, I just told Security Center I would keep my AV monitored manually. Better than waiting for a release that may not happen.

Guess that will work just as well. I'm not gonna let SP2 force me to buy more software. 2002 is where I stop with Norton, at least for a while.

Thanks for all the info, fellas! :)

Well it isnt that funny Powerless, but im sure ur right, but why did symantec change the silly document to just 2004 then, a bit silly me finks :wacko:

the WMI patch didn't work for your Norton 04?

• 2 weeks later...