Norton AntiVirus (XP-SP2) - Fix Now Available

Why do most of u even care..... most of u know what u are doing.... just kill the stupid security center off as its useless to anyone who knows how to use a computer properly... waste of time in my oponion!

Why do most of u even care..... most of u know what u are doing.... just kill the stupid security center off as its useless to anyone who knows how to use a computer properly... waste of time in my oponion!

I am so not going to argue with that, but we'd like to know that everything works in our system ... I don't know about the others, but if I know that something isn't working properly in my system, I go crazy!

u dont need security center to tell u that... just look in the task bar and o look bot av and fw are running

really i think this is only going to be useful for begiinners.

but if I know that something isn't working properly in my system, I go crazy

me 2 :p i jus steal someone elses machine until i can be botherd fixin mine :p

boy am I glad you don't run Microsoft!

boy am i glad i dont as well....... you know how long it would take to fix all of microsoft's sc***ups :p

It would be too much work for 1 person :p

lol

Its good idea for ppl new to computers etc but personally there shud be a option to completely kill it off completely for ppl who find these sorta things really annoying.

None of my friends have a computer worth stealing unfortunately

yeh.... just steal someones that lives near u that has 1.,.. even if there not ur friend :p

truth be told though.  Norton should've released this update at least a week before XP SP2 was released

not unless MS kept the release dates quiet from 3rd party Application manufacturers...which is kind of sloppy IMO. ;)

Ah, you're referring to the leaked version. SP2 was "officially" released 10 Aug and Norton released their patch 10-11th Aug. So they're right on time as they're targeting the people who download it on the official release date...as opposed to leaked version which was converted to 'final' in a short space of time, and 'downloaders' obtained it the second that it was leaked. (that sentence didn't make much sense, but I knew what I meant ;))

So, Norton had to wait for the final version (just like everyone else) to complete a few days of beta testing. And, they released the patch on time (like they stated) and everyone's happy :)

Here's the release dates of the patch for other version of Symantec's software:

Already Available

Symantec Client Security 2.0

Symantec Client Security 2.0 Business Packs

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0

Symantec AntiVirus 9.0 Business Packs

Coming Soon

For the remaining Symantec security products, you will need the SERIAL NUMBER contained in the Upgrade Insurance letter to download the product update.

Aug 18 - Aug 31, 2004 Symantec Client Security 1.1.1

Sep 01 - Sep 15, 2004 Symantec Client Security 1.1.1 Small Business

Aug 18 - Aug 31, 2004 Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.1.1

Sep 01 - Sep 15, 2004 Symantec AntiVirus 8.1.1 Small Business

Aug 23 - Sep 06, 2004 Symantec Client Security 1.0.1

Aug 23 - Sep 06, 2004 Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.0.1

Sep 07 - Sep 21, 2004 Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.61

So Symantec decided not to support 2003? Sucks. Gotta go find another company...I wonder if NOD32 is any good?

Understandably Security Center can be clicked off, but once I install these on our office network computer which I say at least 3/4 are computer incompetent, I would like MS Security Center to run off the bat. Less headache on me and the rest of the office.

I wonder if any other Anti-Virus program company i.e. McAfee, Panda, etc. have this problem with older models?

Its good idea for ppl new to computers etc but personally there shud be a option to completely kill it off completely for ppl who find these sorta things really annoying.

Like disabling the service? The option is there, but I don't need to tell an expert like you that. Do I?

so i got the update... everything was working cool... then i rebooted. now it thinks NAV is turned off? NIS firewall is detected fine.

did this happen to anyone else?

I don't understand the big deal. I just told windows I was monitoring it myself. Seems like way to much fuss just to be shown as updated in the security center.

I would say Symantec don't really treat the security center patch as important. You can see other companies also haven't even started to support sp2 yet. For example, as of now, Sygate firewall isn't supported by security center.

Not important? Symantec actually instructed it's NAV users to not install SP2 until patches were available for their NAV products. Not important? Why would they tell people not to install SP2 then?

jafo

Last nite I download the NAV WMI Update Patch via LiveUpdate, I m using NAV2004 with Windows XP SP1, it said it is available so I installed it, then NAV stopped working, everytime I tried to to start NAV it aumatically starts Windows Installer & after some seconds say the Product that requirs WMI update is still installed (WTF)

So I reinstalled NAV & Wolla this still comes, so I again uninstalled NAV2004, removed every registry corresponding to NAV In the registry manually, deleted the NAV files in c:\windows\installer & then reinstalled NAV, atleast the problem is now gone, but now when I run Liveupdate it shows me 3 updates, subcription service which installs fine but every time NAV Program update & the one other update fail to install, I checkrd at the Error report at NAV site, it said it is due to curropt downloaded file, so I deleted those files from documenst & settings\all users\app data\symantec\liveupdate, but again still the problem, I have already Reinstalled 4 time, my whole day is gone, now NAV is working fine as before but no way I can update these files. I need help, or should I go back to NAV2003

I think I found a bug...

I installed the patch, and the security center now sees Norton running. 

But if you disable Norton, the security center still reports it as "up to date and virus scanning is on".

Oh well.  At least the pop-up warnings are gone! :)

Hmm... I too am seeing this on one of my machines... I think it has to do with checking or unchecking that "Norton Security Alert" that said "Do not share Norton security status with other products. (Recommended)"

That being said, I went to do some searching on Symantec's support area... they have a TON of articles that were created YESTERDAY, all dealing with these Security alerts and explaining what the checkbox actually DOES, but...... They don't really give a way to CHANGE those settings after they are set for the first time.

If you look at http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav/nav_2...h_solve_lu.html and type "Service Pack 2", and then click the article titled "Documents about Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Symantec products" you will see some interesting article titles that aren't available yet.

Included are:

"How to restore the Windows Security Center"

"What is the Norton Security Center?"

So... Perhaps soon we'll have more info, but it sure would be nice to have the option of changing that "Norton Security Alert" setting... I mean, I have verified that the Norton WMI service is running on that one machine, yet if I disable Auto-Protect, Windows Security Center still thinks all is good.

Whereas, on my OTHER machines, things work correctly: disable Auto-Protect = RED ALERT = ANNOYING BALLOON.

I hope to have some answers, because this is really bugging me darnit :)

I didnt get it until like just 10 mins ago, (SAV 10) I got a new version of LiveUpdate oddly enuff its the one used in the beta version of NAV 2005. I got Symantec Client Security and i got the patch off the new LU, anyway NAV users can get it here, thanks to Radish :D

https://www.neowin.net/staff/RadishTM/Norton_WMI_Update.rar

Edited by McGazza