Do you keep your PC on all the time?

computer has been on 24/7 since about august last year except for a few minor problems when it had to turn off.

it just downloads constantly

I shot down mine ..i dont see the point to let it open if i dont use it. And i have cable internet so i dont need to let it open in the night to download something... :rolleyes:

I leave my both my PC and Laptop on all the time :happy: got used to sleeping with it on now i cant sleep with it off too quiet :pinch: plus the healthiest thing for a PC is for it to be left on all of the time :p the HDD boot up or down sequence is the worst thing you could do to a HDD, as for CPU all that junk they dont give a **** if switched on or off, so i jus leave it all on :cool: "Its why companies/schools etc. always leave their stuff turned on"

is that true, about the HD...?

All of mine stay on all the time, screens off when not in use however

Same here, and speakers. :yes:

Edited by ataris_kid

nah i usually shut mine down each night unless i have something going like an app that has to finish a process or something.

same here :) or have a huge download going that i want to finish when i wake up lol.

I turn mine off once in a while but I used to turn it off every night before I go to bed. I believe this is what screwed up my old hard drive, but I found this article debunking that wear out 'myth'. Not sure which to believe now :no:

I run mine 24/7 for convinence, IMs and downloads/uploads

I no longer believe the "turning it on and off is bad for it" myth. All I know is 24/7 on means 24/7 usable without waiting for boots.

I only keep my PC on when I am downloading something that I cant wait. My parents argue that it's a waste of electricity.... <_<

same here :D

Mine stays on 365/52 except for updates and case cleaning.

Leaving your pc on is better for it. Ok, there isn't much of a difference really but if you want to split hairs it is better. Why? Because when you shutdown your pc cools off and some components (on the mobo) will shrink. When you boot back up they will warm up and expand. This could break any weak components on your mobo. This usually isn't much of a problem unless you bought a cheap no name motherboard.

If you do leave it on you must have a good way to keep the dust out. Dust is a pc killer. Dusty parts run hotter and wear out quicker. I don't see how shutting down or booting causes any damage to a HDD. When you shut down your HDD parks the head, just the same as if you let your drive go idle. So as long as you don't yank the plug to shutdown you shouldn't have anything to worry about.