Do you keep your PC on all the time?

its harder on your machine to turn it off at night. its startups and shutdowns that kill hard drives. not leaving it on all the time

That cant be true I hade a old wd 13.6 gig its been on and off for like 6 years I even got some pore soul on e-bay to give me $40 for it LOL.

i used my pc as an alarm clock at college so i had to keep it on. There never were any hardware problems though windows does start to become sluggish after 2-3 days so i did a restart just to restore some performance

24/7 here also , shame its a bit noisey , but i can sleep through it anyway , also keeps my room warm here in the UK lol ( my room is the hottest room in the house when no fires are on )

I turn off my monitors now. Here in Ontario it costs $9/month to run a computer 24/7. Id rather pay the extra $9 than waiting for it to boot. And even with 10 120mm fans +PSU fan + CPU fan its as quiet as ever. Im used to fan noises from my old PIII but when I go somewhere with no computer in a room I cant fall as,leep.

mine goes offline at night when i go to bed, although my computer is pretty quiet, i can't stand any humming from anything in my room. i have to sleep in total silence and darkness.

mine goes offline at night when i go to bed, although my computer is pretty quiet, i can't stand any humming from anything in my room. i have to sleep in total silence and darkness.

mines as loud as a freaking plane! >.<

but my parents snore so loud that they cant hear it :D

i need to replace all the fan :pinch:

I keep my computer on 27/7, and put the monitor in standby after 30 minutes of inactivity.

Yeah, the monitor is the real power killer, the PC is OK, I just keep the monitor off, I may try the inactive thing though.

24/7 unless I am away for a while, then I shut it down. I think that I will be taking advantage of hibernation this fall at school to cut down on noise and leave my new setup last a while longer.. 2 years for my mainboard and less than a 1.5 years for fans can cost a lot of money. I think I rather use it when need be and run another cheap system for file sharing and printers.

Shutting down your system often can ruin your mother board! Think about it like this, heat makes things expand, and cold makes them contract. You have 3478947892378943279 of little solder points and conections on your board. Ever bend a small peice of metter back and forth till you can feel it heat up then break? Same thing with the expanding and contracting of the board!

Shutting down your system often can ruin your mother board! Think about it like this, heat makes things expand, and cold makes them contract. You have 3478947892378943279 of little solder points and conections on your board. Ever bend a small peice of metter back and forth till you can feel it heat up then break? Same thing with the expanding and contracting of the board!

Yeah, I read that. When you keep switching tempratures it causes wear and tear on the processor. Laptops are smarter now.