AMD OR INTEL?

167 members have voted

1. 1. AMD OR INTEL?

• AMD
    • INTEL
    • I DONT CARE.

Originally posted by grimman

interesting. good point west. :lick:

right-o. as u can see i'm using a celeron. SUCKS. it would have kicked if it was a p3, but they're EXPENSIVE (tell me if you have 800-1000mhz p3 socket-fcpga for sale, cheap).

p4 was not a good move for intel, BUT i'm sure the new core can work things out.

now, i USED to have an AMD cpu. it was nice and stable (all my cpu's have been in fact).

the aXP are nice, but the rest are a bunch of toasters imo :)

right now i'd definetely go amd. but who knows? intel might knock them insolent pups down ;)

I am using P4 0.13 with Northwood core:)

Man you people are freaking stupid. Like I said, I had 4 AMD CPUs, only 1 of them was built by me. The rest are OEM! and this laptop is OEM and it is by FAR better!

Originally posted by AMDTBurnt

Man you people are freaking stupid. Like I said, I had 4 AMD CPUs, only 1 of them was built by me. The rest are OEM! and this laptop is OEM and it is by FAR better!

What makes you think we're stupid o genius one? The fact that we know how to argue a point and don't contradict ourselves? Or the fact that we know how to build PCs?

If your AMD T-bird system was built correctly using quality parts (which most OEMs do not use), it would cream your P3. I have a 1.4 t-bird & would very much like to see your P3 laptop take it on, especially seeing as your laptop has such a large uptime. Abit KG7-RAID and 512meg DDR will leave that thing for dust.

Like i said before

"Operator Error"

Try taking some computer classes (or perhaps re-taking high school?), cos your computer knowledge seems greatly lacking as well as your ability to communicate a sensible argument.

DDR This.. DDR That.. 266MHz bus? Wow.. ROFL!

533Mhz bus speeds arriving on Intel boards reeeeeal soon here :)

..equipped with some 1.2GB/sec clocked RDRAM and we have quite the power eh? Nice..

that FSB stuff does get us AMDers but dosen't having 400mhz side bus and the RDRAM and don't we stuff keep up?

i was just wonder and i'll let you ponder that for a while :p

ddr this and that.. wait.. hold on.. didn't Intel screw Rambus and their RD? isn't ddr twice as fast as SD? hmm....

that amdtburnt guy is crazy.. i think he's more cooky then me.. :)

Originally posted by TDQuiksilver

DDR This.. DDR That.. 266MHz bus? Wow.. ROFL!

533Mhz bus speeds arriving on Intel boards reeeeeal soon here :)

..equipped with some 1.2GB/sec clocked RDRAM and we have quite the power eh? Nice..

P4 needs a memory speed of 533 just to keep up with the athlon XPs lol

Originally posted by Chris123NT

LOL Nick we will see. And oh nick change ur avatar it scares me LOL :p:p:P

What's wrong with it? You don't like my self-portrait? lol :D

i don't know about yall but having a 533FSB, and a couple hundread mhz advantage and still having a AXP/T-bred keeping up with u is kinda weird.. i don't wanna say sad but i'm not sure..

i would love to have a intel p4 at 2.4... if it wasn't slapped around by something 500mhz slower then it and about 1.5-2x more $$ then it

I donno.. You know, I wonder sometimes what is really going on with AMD... I mean, how do they do it? How do they sell their processors so cheap when they don't even have a large OEM backing? I just figure there has to be some sort of trade off.. But maybe this market works differently from every other market on the planet. Face it - regardless of how much you like AMD (and I have great respect for them) there has to be SOMETHING they are doing that allows them to keep such a low price margin, and still sell less then the competitor. I know there are heat issues, and I'm sure they saved a bit on that but what else? Does anyone have any specs on the average lifetime of the newer AMD processors vs. intel's? And why do large corporations still use Intel, I mean they have REALLY smart people working for them, you'd think if AMD was that much cheaper and ran faster everyone would switch, but that just hasn't happened. I personally can't think of a University of College that I've visited or been to that uses AMD processors, and some of these people are brilliant computer engineers and scientists... I wish I knew.. Seriously, if AMD was just a bit more expensive I might actually consider getting one (I owned a K-6 before and it wasn't too stable).. Or even if they came out with a higher priced line of CPUs - I mean otherwise they won't get the "rich people" market, those that replace computers every year, etc. If they only sell processors to the guy who only owns 1 computer and only replaces it every 5 years, well.. You do the math.

Originally posted by Knoxca

I donno.. You know, I wonder sometimes what is really going on with AMD... I mean, how do they do it? How do they sell their processors so cheap when they don't even have a large OEM backing? I just figure there has to be some sort of trade off.. But maybe this market works differently from every other market on the planet. Face it - regardless of how much you like AMD (and I have great respect for them) there has to be SOMETHING they are doing that allows them to keep such a low price margin, and still sell less then the competitor. I know there are heat issues, and I'm sure they saved a bit on that but what else? Does anyone have any specs on the average lifetime of the newer AMD processors vs. intel's? And why do large corporations still use Intel, I mean they have REALLY smart people working for them, you'd think if AMD was that much cheaper and ran faster everyone would switch, but that just hasn't happened. I personally can't think of a University of College that I've visited or been to that uses AMD processors, and some of these people are brilliant computer engineers and scientists... I wish I knew.. Seriously, if AMD was just a bit more expensive I might actually consider getting one (I owned a K-6 before and it wasn't too stable).. Or even if they came out with a higher priced line of CPUs - I mean otherwise they won't get the "rich people" market, those that replace computers every year, etc. If they only sell processors to the guy who only owns 1 computer and only replaces it every 5 years, well.. You do the math.

Very well said

Hey, guys... let's cut this flaming out... the numbers on the poll have already spoken. AMD wins by majority rule (I love democracy!!!)

Mods, maybe we should close the case of AMD vs. Intel with the win going to AMD... can I get a few "amen's?"

amen.

you can keep prices down by not inflating the price of your product for no reason.

universities buy in large numbers from oem vendors. they buy from whoever gives them a deal.

and universites like to use nice old computers for half their systems

For me, it comes down to pipelines.

Intel made a strange move, stepping back to the original Pentium pipeline instructions for the P4 just to hit a higher clock speed. Sure, the set is called something different for the P4, but each set works on the same principles and each are long as hell.

AMD is shortening their pipelines, in a move that reminds me why a lower clocked PowerPC chip can outperform a higher clocked x86 chip. Quicker pipeline flushes, quicker processing all the way around at lower clock speeds.

We see the performance difference in AMD's new rating system. An AthlonXP clocked at a lower mhz freq. (200-300mhz lower) can outperform a P4, bench after bench. Why? Shorter pipes. Watch this presentation, The Megahertz Myth, comparing PowerPC chips to the x86 Intel chips. AMD knows that the points presented in this presentation are valid and are attempting to win the processor war in areas that make more sense than just clock frequencies.

Multithreading will be interesting for Intel. I'd like to see AMD pick up on this...but who knows only time will tell what each of these brilliant companies have in store for us lesser mortals.

i have a k5, mighta been k6 or like a xx-2 or sumtin.. its 166mhz i wasn't into computer back then tho.. but it still works.. i have had it for a VERY long time..

32mb ram, 4gb hdd, 166mhz cpu, oh yeahhh :p

Originally posted by AMDTBurnt

I AM in high school! and any P4 2.4 GHz would cream 2100+ (We are comparing top of the line)

ROFLMAO

Your talking about a 600Mhz+ difference and 0.13 compared to 0.18. Hardly what i'd call a fair test, especially seeing as the P4 is about double the price.

And it doesn't exactly "cream" it, it's only ahead by a small margin.

I think Sisoft Sandra benchmarks sum it up best:

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

and 3D max is good too

Image4.jpg

...and yes i know my HD sux :)

and overclocking the m/b to a FSB of 140 gets...

Image5.jpg

even thou im running a 1800+ (1.53 GHz)

Now, its easy to see with them pictures who the clear winner is. Its AMD by a mile.

BUT... It requires cooling, and is 1/2 the price of a Pentium 4 @ 2Ghz.

BUT... Pentiums run cooler, but dont perform as well as a AMD, and are twice as costly as a AMD

now, theres ya whole argument solved.

*offically ends the bitching with this post*

west: northwood sweeeeeet

nick_jones: elementary school is his only chance, don't overestimate him

superbeast: that "megahertz myth" page (produced by apple to push their cpu's up in sales) is WRONG. just a PR-trick to fool those stupid enough to buy it. but the pipeline thing works somewhat like they say tho :)

anyways, wtf is wrong with u ppl? "i go intel because i've always gone intel" or "i go amd because they're not intel MOFOBIATCHINTEL****FACEFAN"

IF (can't cap that if high enough) you had been smart you'd have said "i go for what's more cost efficient".

amd at the moment, no arguements from my side. but the northwood core is exciting (and less toastery ;))