Why does SP2 suck so much?

I dont see a point in installing Windows SP2.. all it does is cause problems. Other then patch up some minor bugs and holes.. does anyone know of a real point to installing this?

ive read thread after thread of peoples PC's not booting up, cards frying, and it giving errors, programs not starting up, internet killed. Anyone know of a good enough reason to bother installing it?

I haven't had any problems with it. Maybe the people that are having problems just don't know what they are doing, it's a little extreme for a service pack to "fry" a card. I know some programs need to be updated to work with SP2, but I'm sure most developers have already updated their apps or have begun doing so.

works fine for my brother on his computer. I haven't tried it on mine. It reminds me a little of "if ain't broke don't fix it."

it helps prevent hackers and viruses from getting on your comp :huh:

I had better luck with Windows Update for SP2 than the external downloaded patch.

BUT, some of my programs are not fully compatible with SP2, so I need to be patient. I am not sure if it is that SP2 sucks, as much as it is it has compatibility problems that make it look like it sucks. :omg:

I figure once most apps become SP2 compliant, we should be good to go. I hope.

Until then, I'm sticking with SP1. :)

Why does SP2 suck so much?

cuz it's made by microsoft?

I haven't had too many problems with it...but it wasn't download-install-use..more like download-install-crash-tweak-use but meh could be worse

SP2 will eventually come around.

Fixes, how-to's and workarounds

will be posted as they get coded.

I'm not an MS fanboy but I have to applaud their

conviction to making the OS more secure.

This service pack must have cost them a

bundle of money to produce, and if it stops

just one noob from becoming another mindless,

infected drone, it was worth it.

Especially if the computer that got saved is mine. :D

SP2 will eventually come around.

Fixes, how-to's and workarounds

will be posted as they get coded.

I'm not an MS fanboy but I have to applaud their

conviction to making the OS more secure.

This service pack must have cost them a

bundle of money to produce, and if it stops

just one noob from becoming another mindless,

infected drone, it was worth it.

Especially if the computer that got saved is mine. :D

:yes: (Y)

I dont see a point in installing Windows SP2.. all it does is cause problems.

Now you know why I never recommend or use XP at all, it just causes problems :p

Windows 2000 Professional forever!!

.... Or at least until the next version of Windows :)

...... Or maybe XP SP3, if they re-write the whole code heh heh ;)

didnt have any problems doing a new install on my brothers pc, everything went pretty smooth, been running the comp for a week now and is just great, so maybe you should try it out for yourself and then judge how it goes from there instead of taking someonelse's opinion and basing your opinion on only that. Is something to have someone else do it and telling you how it went but is a whole lot better if you really try it out yourself, so good luck and stop bytching about it, cuz it hasnt done any damage to mine or the other pc i have....

I do think SP2 is a bit of a let-down. I really think a stronger firewall (comprehensive incoming and outging support) and stronger browser with more security zones/internet zones and other features would have helped.

Some have said they should have disabled ALL scripting in Outlook and Outlook Express, for example, and not tied OE to IE in any way. Others have said that any scripting allowed in the browser should be limited strictly to the browser and not allowed to access any other system resources. That they should have made IE 100% separate from the OS itself and not allowed scripting from one to work with the other.

Does anyone else think that they missed a good opportunity here?

If they removed IE from the OS, then the OS wouldn't work - seeing as IE and explorer are the same program..

XPlite "removies" IE, although in reality IE is still there - it is explorer with a different shell (eg, the buttons etc.)

I'v been using SP2 for a few weeks now and i haven't had any problems with it at all. I've found Internet Explorer to be a lot faster too. So.. noo complaints here. I think the reason everyone are complaing about SP2 sucking is because it was a big let down and not what they expected. I know myself i expected to see a few new themes or something to liven up XP but nothing came.. and I think thats what a lot of other people thought was commin as well and because it didn't all of a suden "SP2 sucks".

If they removed IE from the OS, then the OS wouldn't work - seeing as IE and explorer are the same program..

XPlite "removies" IE, although in reality IE is still there - it is explorer with a different shell (eg, the buttons etc.)

What I am trying to advocate is that IE and Explorer should indeed be 100% separate so that they do not have any components in common. That way you could isolate IE as a separate process and prevent it from having negative effects on the core OS itself. That would be a good thing. Both the OS and IE could be more secure and more efficient, it stands to reason.

I dont see a point in installing Windows SP2.. all it does is cause problems.? Other then patch up some minor bugs and holes.. does anyone know of a real point to installing this?

Have you read the scary stories about how long a fresh Windows installation would last online without patches and a proper firewall before its either hack or infected by viruses like Sasser? Less then 10 mins. In some cases it's multiple intrusion attempt before the first 5 mins.

ive read thread after thread of peoples PC's not booting up, cards frying, and it giving errors, programs not starting up, internet killed.? Anyone know of a good enough reason to bother installing it?

I'm sure you've heard about MS delaying SP2 RTM date so many time because they wants to get it right. The combination of lengthly testing period by internal tester and then large base of external tester, SP2 is about as good as it gets. Sure SP2 is not perfect as no major software release can ever be. I slip streamed SP2 and did a fresh install with no problem. When I help my friend to do a fresh install we ran into a bug with the CD-ROM drive. We almost gave up but then we accidently discovered the bug (taking the CD out of the tray after restart) and it ran smoothly from there on. Well except for at the moment no matter what I try, I can't get NIS2004 to install on his machine, but I think I have found the solution for that too. Probably the main reason why my friend PC had all this problem and mine did not is because his PC is 4-5 years old, Celeron 600Mhz where as mine is an 2 years old AMD AthlonXP 1.7Ghz. So if you have something less then 2 years old you should not have any problem, else proceed with caution:):)

Last reason why you should install SP2. If you do you will be using Longhorn technology:):) It might not matter much if you're not they type who wants the latest and greatest but that might be an incentive to some.

Good day,

--Jaron.

Edited by Jaron

I know. If you really feel that strongly about it, then go and recode the whole OS yourself so that they are two separate distinct programs.

I am asking a question and expressing an opinion about an existing OS that has a stangle-hold on the market. There is nothing wrong with that, and questioning it certainly does not mean that you have to take it or leave it and make your own. MS has shoved this down the throats of PC users. Don't you think we have a right to question the software given this?

I do think SP2 is a bit of a let-down.? I really think a stronger firewall (comprehensive incoming and outging support) and stronger browser with more security zones/internet zones and other features would have helped.

Some have said they should have disabled ALL scripting in Outlook and Outlook Express, for example, and not tied OE to IE in any way.? Others have said that any scripting allowed in the browser should be limited strictly to the browser and not allowed to access any other system resources.? That they should have made IE 100% separate from the OS itself and not allowed scripting from one to work with the other.

Does anyone else think that they missed a good opportunity here?

Well, we all wish there was a better firewall, but you know what would happen if there was a more comprehensive firewall. However, the firewall they provided is good enough to prevent future worms like MsBlaster from infecting your pc.

More security zone:wacko:ko:

They need to simplify and improve the existing ones.

They did pretty good with SP2, given that they gave all this away for free in a service pack, when they might have saved all this for a futer operating system.

SP2 gave me a mis carriage! I HATE M$ !! RAWRWR!!

I wish that we could create a few custom Security Zones so we can separate and group sites into areas where the amount of damage they can do is limited, but we can still adjust some settings to make them useful.