AutoStreamer 1.0.33

Is there any Zip format for Auto streamer v1.0.33

585246765[/snapback]

Note: I will no longer maintain a .zip version. It has only caused confusion and problems. Flishfun, I will have to wait for you to update the first post appropriately.

madaya, no zip version this time. People werent extracting all files before running AutoStreamer, so I figured it caused confusion.

Is there anyone who has a quick answer as to why I cannot slipstream SP2 into an XPproVLK OEM sp1 cd? It just stalls at the 'Copying share to temporary folder' blue arrow and never progresses to green. If i have the option set to pause before ISO creation, the make iso button activtes (skps the sp2 slip line.) and I can create about a 1.4Mb ISO .. not exactly useful, heh.

The only files copied to the temp folder are : AUTORUN.INF README.HTM SETUP.EXE spnotes.htm

I have successfuly run it on this machine using a std XPpro OEM sp1 cd using the same sp2 file.

here is the tail end of the log:

OK, everything looks good!

Convert Service Pack build to known SP level...

5.1.2600.2180 was converted to (SP2)

Since we now have a more readable version, adjust the ISO label

Delete any temporary files used...

File #1...

File #2...

File #3...

File #4...

TEMP Folder...

Allow the user to continue (enable the window!)

thx for any help - if no help then .. well .. I guess I'll use the one that worked even though I find activation annoying :)

Dear People,

While AutoStreamer per-se is a great utility, the Installer that was created for it potentially hurts the Systems on which it is run, namely:

1. AutoStreamer needs, for its own use, a couple of System files (ComCtl32.ocx & ComDlg32.ocx) to have copies residing in its own installation folder;

2. The Installer however, does not stop at only adding these two ActiveX controls to the application's folder, but also REGISTERS them, SYSTEM-wide, thus effectively replacing the usage of the copies residing in the \Windows\System32 folder for ALL applications on the System!

I sincerely doubt it that it is legit behavior of an application's installer to assume responsibility for System Services provided to the whole System on which that application is installed! :no:

For whoever created that installer: the initiative was great! But have it corrected, so as not to potentially harm the Systems on which it is run ...

Happy Weekend,

Eric

trattner, you are correct. AutoStreamer requires those files. Actually, during load, AutoStreamer will check if the files exists in the system32 folder, and if not, it will copy them over, and register them under the system folder, not the AutoStreamer folder. I never asked Hurmoth (who does the installer) to self-register any files, as AutoStreamer takes care of that itself.

I hope Hurmoth fixes this asap :)

• 3 weeks later...
trattner, you are correct. AutoStreamer requires those files. Actually, during load, AutoStreamer will check if the files exists in the system32 folder, and if not, it will copy them over, and register them under the system folder, not the AutoStreamer folder. I never asked Hurmoth (who does the installer) to self-register any files, as AutoStreamer takes care of that itself.

I hope Hurmoth fixes this asap :)

585297406[/snapback]

Has this been resolved yet? Or perhaps there is a workaround? I just ran across this forum again and saw all the posts about AutoStreamer. It seems like a great way for beginners to get into slipstreaming. I've read a lot of the other ways to do it and it's all pretty intimidating.

Thank you.

no zip version this time. People werent extracting all files before running AutoStreamer, so I figured it caused confusion.

585247816[/snapback]

Without pin-point anyone, in my opinion that is the user problem if you create a ZIP file and they either do not know how to extract it, do not know where to extract it, do not know where was it extracted to, or run it before the extraction like you said. Myself I like the ZIP file better. If you decide you are going to create a ZIP, just don't give support, post it "as is" with no questions ask.

Here's the fixed version: http://www.gigamaniac.net/AutoStreamer.exe

Before running this, please run the following command:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /x {D9CDB463-BB48-4B80-B1B6-5B940A4621E0}

I am a total newbie about this. I remember looking at all the screen shots and thinking AutoStreamer would be great. Nice GUI to point me in the right direction.

I'm not totally unfamiliar with run commands, but I don't understand how you mean to do this and/or why?

Do I need to run the command before installing AutoStreamer or before using Auto Streamer? Or (fill in the blank) ???

Maybe I'm a little out of my league. I am content to install Windows and then use the SP cd's from Microsoft. I just thought I'd try to stretch my wings a bit. Perhaps not? lol!

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Do I need to run the command before installing AutoStreamer or before using Auto Streamer?  Or (fill in the blank) ???

585386367[/snapback]

Run that command before installing AutoStreamer, but only if you have the AutoStreamer that was registering the OCX files ;)

Official Installer will now update old versions (including 1.0.33):

http://www.gigamaniac.net/AutoStreamer.exe

This will automatically unregister the OCX files that were auto registering with the previous installer builds.

There is NO need to run the following command before installing the new build:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /x {D9CDB463-BB48-4B80-B1B6-5B940A4621E0}

585385431[/snapback]

Can I use the SP2.exe from a SP2 Installation CD, or do I have to use a downloaded version of SP2 to slipstream?

585389907[/snapback]

You can even point AS to the exe on the CD and it still works :woot:

can anyone shed a bit of light on why i get "error 76" on the second screen, after i choose to use the " original windows CD" as the source... :unsure:

585396656[/snapback]

Are you using the latest version? Is there any log created?

yes im using the latest version, i just downloaded it...

heres the log...

Running in CD Mode

Probing drive A:\

Drive A:\ does not exist; probe next drive...

Probing drive B:\

Drive B:\ does not exist; probe next drive...

Probing drive C:\

Drive C:\ exists.

Probing for CDROM

Drive is not a CDROM; probe next drive...

Probing drive D:\

Drive D:\ exists.

Probing for CDROM

Drive is a CDROM.

Either D:\SETUP.EXE or D:\I386 are missing; probe next drive.

Probing drive E:\

Drive E:\ exists.

Probing for CDROM

Drive is a CDROM.

File E:\SETUP.EXE and folder E:\I386 were found.

Changing TargetShare to E:\

Start of Share/CD Probe

E:\SETUP.EXE and E:\I386 exist; proceed.

Setting Variables

CD Mode Checks

Changing TEMP

Get Share/CD Size

yes im using the latest version, i just downloaded it...

heres the log...

[...]

585396867[/snapback]

Most likely it's a faulty CD :( AutoStreamer makes a SIZE query for the CD. Apparently it fails.

Try this:

- Make a new folder on your hard drive somewhere.

- Select all files & folders from the CD.

- Copy them (drag'n'drop) to the new folder.

If you get any errors I'm afraid the CD is badly damaged. If everything goes well, start AutoStreamer as select Local Share mode. Then point it to the new folder you made. Since it's a local folder there should be no trouble completing a SIZE query :)

Edited by nw_raptor

i just tried copying the files to my HD windows said it could not read from the source disk :huh:

which i dont really understand because i used this disk to install XP about 6 days ago and it worked fine, so it cant be that damaged can it? i cant see any particularly huge scratches on it either...

i just tried copying the files to my HD windows said it could not read from the source disk :huh:

which i dont really understand because i used this disk to install XP about 6 days ago and it worked fine, so it cant be that damaged can it? i cant see any particularly huge scratches on it either...

585397224[/snapback]

1. The damaged may exist on a part of the CD that wasnt needed during your installation.

2. Even if we assume that 6 days ago the CD was flawless, unfortunately, that is no guarantee the cd will work today.

3. Scratches are some times not that important. Over-scratched CDs sometimes perform better than badly produced (ex: copied/written) scratch-less CDs.