[Review] Logitech z-5500

how extreme?

i heard that hiss is caused by faulty control pod cable, or connector

585150668[/snapback]

i can hear it from a good distance away. I might try to tighten my cable now see if tat fixes it.

do you get hissing at at 70% volume and up?

and what is your wave and master volume set to in creative surround mixer?

585146071[/snapback]

i haev my master volume at 80% and when i turn it up on the speakers i do not hear hissing just some nice listening :) nice bass and clear highs and lows. great speaker set.

I just got a pair. 100% perfect in every aspect exept the break out control box. They over did the glue in the volume knob thing and it wouldnt correctly fit in. I had to take a needle and clean it off then put the knob on correctly. No hissing for me though :)

yeah sometimes the volume knob sticks a little like ill be turning it fine then all of a sudden it will stop and be harder to turn and it gets anoying. do you guys experience that?

does anyone know what would be better to get, these or the klipsch pro media ultra 5.1?

I can get them both for about the same price and if I decide to buy, I don't know what way to go. I'm thinking these since they are digital...

does anyone know what would be better to get, these or the klipsch pro media ultra 5.1?

I can get them both for about the same price and if I decide to buy, I don't know what way to go. I'm thinking these since they are digital...

585152388[/snapback]

I'm wondering if the digital output is really that much better over analog, like would people be able to tell the difference. :unsure:

I'm wondering if the digital output is really that much better over analog, like would people be able to tell the difference. :unsure:

585152530[/snapback]

Only in DVD Playback with Dolby or DTS. Other then that, no :)

585152388[/snapback]

my friends got the klipsch and i got the logitechs

and i really want to send the logitech back, klipsch is so much better

if you want hissing speakers and allot of bass get logitech

if you want clear high quality sound get klipsch

only two thing thats are stoping me from sending the logitech back are:

1) it was a gift, don't want to make the person feel bad

2) to much of a hasse

^ I have to STRONGLY DISAGREE.

The Logitech Z-5500 have superior mid & high range clarity. The Subwoofer is not over powering at all like the 680's.

The hiss is a fault. Everything has design faults. Just contact Logitech, they will tell you to send back your pod and cut of the power cord and send the remote. They will ship you a brand new set out. Logitech have excellent customer support.

Anyone who says the Z-5500 dont have clear mid & high ranges and too much bass obviously has them set up wrong.

TOTALLY AGREED HYPO.

These speakers hit the mid and highs like no other. I can almost say that at low volume, the bass is weaker than the z-5300's.. But once you turn them, the bass does what its supposed to do, and BUMPS.

I recieved these speakers about a week ago and IMO they are amazing. I did notice a slight hiss, but i found that removing the control pod connector from the amp,and then reconnecting it solved the problem.

I dont know why people say the bass is too boomy, i dont think they have even heard them to give such an opinion. Admittedly the bass can be a bit too strong on occasions, but thats why there is a bass control setting on the control pod :rolleyes:

However, after 3 days of using these speakers i lost all power to them. I contacted Logitech and they thought it may be a faulty 2A fuse. As a result they are sending me a free fuse to see if it works and if not, i should return them to the supplier. After contacting my supplier they told me that they will pay for them to be returned and a new set will arrive as a replacement the day after they have recieved the faulty set.

Overall i have had no problems with Logitech whatsoever, they provide good service and exceptionally good speakers. It's just a shame that i cant listen to them for a few days while i wait for the new set.

I am not RMAing my control pod, 3-4 weeks tho :x they are on back order.  I am getting extreme hiss randomly.  I think its my fault but oh well.

585150438[/snapback]

i probably will have to RMA that control pod too

moving the cable slighty and it doesn't hiss, but 2-5 minutes later and it moves but it self, and hiss comes backs

same in port macquarie EBgames... there a rip off :), who sells stuff at the R.R.P now-a-days? also they are selling a set of Z-680's for $700, which is *more* than the R.R.P... crazy lol

i got my set from the Good Guys at $499

if you dont mind paying online... check some places there, eg:

http://www.shopbot.com.au/p-10615.html

shows a few

585129870[/snapback]

I think Z680 also as impressive as Z5500 only missing few features. I'll take a look...might purchase next year.

hey guys, I just received these speakers and connected them to my Audigy2 ZS Platinum through the optical outlets. Everything seems to work great as far as music goes but when I throw in a DVD or play a game (Half life 2 specifically) my computer just freezes. i updated all the drivers and the only thing i've noticed is that on the diagnostic for the sound card, it doesn't seem to detect the rear or middle speaker, just the front two. weird thing is that they work for a couple sec's on some dvd's then just freezes. any ideas? i'm running windows 2000 btw.

well I got all the speakers to work on the test in the THX console, but only the front two speakers (not even the sub) seem to work on the test for the regular speaker settings console. I'm pretty sure i've checked digital out only on all the menus...i've gone through every console and tab looking for the options and haven't found any more. thanks for your help hypoxiaicon, throw me any other ideas if you have any.

I recently bought an xbox advanced av pack along with these speakers, and modded the av pack to take digital coaxial (http://wrongcrowd.com/xboxspdif/)

I booted upa few games and tried it, worked fine with pl2 stereo x2 and what not, but when i put in a dvd with dts, and choose that from the audio menu, and start the movie i get "No Digital Data" on the control pod, and when i put the same movie into dolby digital i get stereo data, but no surround sound (the movie is dts:es if that matters). Also, i am using 3rd party software to play the dvd (modded xbox) rather than ms's dongle dvd player, but it is supposed to support both dts and ac3? I am using an audio output rather than the video one (would the connection have a different amnt of resistance than the video/a standard digital audio rca female connection?) why would it play stereo in dolby mode and not at all in dts? anyways if anyone can help taht would be awesome other wise i;ll have to go back to watching movies with svideo outtput and analog audio.