[Review] Logitech z-5500

Liquid, after your review I am interested in purchasing these speakers and was already planning on getting the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card (only because the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card is not good with games I've heard). How exactly did you modify the sound card that you described above? Did you not have to use the minijack to RCA splitter after this modification? I am very interested in knowing because I don't want an optical cable coming from the front of my computer (from the live drive of the sound card) to the speakers because I think it would look crappy.

584846327[/snapback]

I tore the front cover of the Platinum drive (you ahve to take volume nods of first :pinch: , didn't know that) and put in inside my case in a drive slot backwards. I cut a hole in a PCI slot cover and added a RCA extention plug into thta hole. I added a small RCA cable to that plug and the SPDIF out on the Platinum drive. Now all I do is plug in a RCA/COAX cable into that jack in the back and into my Speakers control center. Walla, COAX from an audigy 2. Takes about 30 min to do if you take your time.

Does it sound better after the modification or about the same? What was your motivation for doing the mod?

584846456[/snapback]

Sounds same as it would without mod and I did it because I hate stuff sticking out of the front of my case.

Wait a minute, I thought earlier you said you connected to the speakers via the digital out mini-jack on the sound card itself and used a mini-jack to RCA splitter. How would that be on the front of the case since the digital out is on the card itself and not the LiveDrive????

I just want to be sure I understand correctly because for some reason I can't get the idea out of my head that because it splits the signal into two seperate RCA jacks but only one of them is used for the speakers how it could produce the same sound as if it were using both RCA jacks.

hey guys, I have some questions...I plan on building a mini theatre system. mainly my CPU, Dell 1901FP LCD monitor, Dell W1900 LCD TV, PS2 and Logitech Z-5500 speakers. I just need to update my ancient sound card and was wondering if it was worth purchasing the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro PCI card over the standard Audigy 2 ZS Platinum card...new egg has several varieties and i'm not sure if i need the top of the line for what i'm gonna use it for. any major differences I should consider? I plan on connecting the speakers through the digital coax, and hopefully figure out how to connect the TV with PS2 along with the CPU to them. Would i need to purchase any additional cables? or better yet, which ones, cause I'm guessing this is a fairly intricate installation? I'd appreciate any help, can't wait to get all this set up. thanks in advance!

Edited by eje_17

I was looking at Creative's site and came across the Platinum Pro Audigy 2 sound card, and on its external I/O hub thing it has a Coaxial in and Coaxial out on the rear of it. Here is a pic...

io-back.jpg

You can see the two coax connections right in the middle of the picture, labeled as SPDIF.

Would using the coaxial out on the I/O thing with a coaxial cable to the coax-in on the speakers work???

Hey fellow users,

I was wondering what Volume % you guys usually set your PC to when using these Z-680 or Z-5500? I heard usually you're not supposed to go over 50% since these speakers have a built in Amplifier that powers them already. I notice if you put the PC volume to about > 75% and put up the volume that your speakers might hear slight crackle or pop... and was wondering what everyone else has configured to get best sound out of your speakers. Currently i'm using Dell packaged Audigy 2 sound card with COAX out. Thanks.

- A

p.s. anyone else using Dell OEM SB Audigy 2 with their new dell system?

LIQUID, I read in one of your posts that connecting your 5500's to your Audigy sound card was somewhat of a hassle.? In what ways do you mean?? I bought a monster optical cable and I was wondering if you knew how to connect it to the system and the sound card in order to take advantage of the digital sound.? Also is are there any settings on my computer, sound card, or speakers that I have to mess around with? If anybody could help me out with this I'd appreciate it.

584841499[/snapback]

Yeah, same questions over here because I also have a monster optical cable.

Anybody know.?

My card is a Audigy 2 ZS.

Oh and I can't quite figure out why anyone would want to use a Y splitter for a digital cable. What I did was buy a minijack (3/8ths) to female RCA converter and used a male to male RCA cable to my coax digital input and that works great on my Boston Acoustics system.  Of course the ideal solution would be to use a minijack to RCA male cable and avoid buying a converter, but that may be hard to find.

584751022[/snapback]

can anyone confirm this? I'm guessing one could use something like this monster cable: IP200_GLAM_2.jpg ??

I bout the Audigy 2 ZS platinum, so can anyone confirm that this would be the only other cable I would have to buy to get digital sound? I'm not an audiophile at all if you haven't noticed so bear with me, heh. thanks!

Hi everyone. Just read this whole thing and recently purchased an Audigy 2 ZS W/O hub and the Logitech z5500. To hook up the coax on my speakers to the digital out on my Audigy I used a Monster coax cable and a gold plated RCA to

1\8 inch miniplug inline adaptor that I picked up from my local radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=274%2D897

Hope this helps some of you.

I will be ordering a Logitech Z-5500 in the US but I have to know if it will work with 220V. Actually all of the notebook computers works fine both with 110V & 220V. But I'm not sure about Z-5500. Does Z-5500 have an external power adapter or internal? Can I use it with a 220V power connection?

Also can anybody specify the dimensions of the parts and if possible also the weights?

Thanks...

-> Qui_Gon

The power cable in my version is just a Euro-cable

mains_fig8_cable_euro.JPG

So the power source is internal - for sure (it adds to the enourmous weight of the sub)

I also got this speaker set a few weeks ago - damn it was heavy to carry from the local post office to my home :wacko:

One thing about this speaker set is REALLY annoying me.. I only use the set for PC (connected both Coax and direct 6 ch) - I use the onboard nVIDIA nForce APU / Soundstorm, but there is a constant background hiss on these speakers - both on 6 ch direct and on Coax (S/DIF). The hiss is constant - It stays the same eventhough the volume is changed.. The only way to shut dem up is the press mute or select the Optical input (which is not connected)

Perhaps this is normal with a speaker set of this "size"?

Could the cables between the control unit and the SoundStorm I use (too long) be the reason?

Another odd thing

Sometimes when the speakersystem is turned off - the subwoofer makes a loud low-freq humming sound. I suspect the internal powersupply.. Anyone else heard this?

-> Qui_Gon

The power cable in my version is just a Euro-cable

mains_fig8_cable_euro.JPG

So the power source is internal - for sure (it adds to the enourmous weight of the sub)

I also got this speaker set a few weeks ago - damn it was heavy to carry from the local post office to my home :wacko:

One thing about this speaker set is REALLY annoying me.. I only use the set for PC (connected both Coax and direct 6 ch) - I use the onboard nVIDIA nForce APU / Soundstorm, but there is a constant background hiss on these speakers - both on 6 ch direct and on Coax (S/DIF). The hiss is constant - It stays the same eventhough the volume is changed.. The only way to shut dem up is the press mute or select the Optical input (which is not connected)

Perhaps this is normal with a speaker set of this "size"?

Could the cables between the control unit and the SoundStorm I use (too long) be the reason?

Another odd thing

Sometimes when the speakersystem is turned off - the subwoofer makes a loud low-freq humming sound. I suspect the internal powersupply.. Anyone else heard this?

584937783[/snapback]

Well i hear no hiss, i cant' get my ear right next to the speakers as they are on the wall and i cant' find my stool... but from say 3inches away i can't any hiss at all from any of them. the woofer is emitting no humming...

the woofer humming and the sats hissing would be the same problem and certainly if its noticable at any normal listening range i would ring the place you got em and have them returned :)

god i love the remote... no input button heh

I have a lap top with a mini-microphone/headphone jack on it. No other ports for the sound card. I was thinking about getting the Logitech Z-5500s, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to set them up without buying another cable. Will I be able to set them up out of the box, or will I need to buy another cable. I'm a noob, so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

These speakers are awsome. I have them set up as my home theater. They match my 51" Toshiba widescreen perfectly (silver and black). I have listened to many movies and lots of music. For anyone who has them... number one recommendation is................. watch "TOP GUN" on dvd. You will be grinning from ear to ear from the first scene.

wheres a good place to buy them online in canada

cause i placed my order with tigerdirect and i made sure that it said the item was is stock

but then they said the item was out of stock 2 days later and now the item isnt even on their page anymore

so i dunno

wheres a good place to buy them online in canada

cause i placed my order with tigerdirect and i made sure that it said the item was is stock

but then they said the item was out of stock 2 days later and now the item isnt even on their page anymore

so i dunno

584962943[/snapback]

www.shoprbc.com

wow thanks

that place has flat rate shipping which makes it like $30 less or even cheaper

have you ordered from them before? cause im thinkin about cancelling my order from td and buying from these guys

itl be cheaper and the speakers are in stock it looks like