• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Indiana Pacers Trade Punches w/ Crowd

kombolcha    11

i'm done argueing this out...

what i really want a video of is another NBA incident many years ago, i forget what team and who was involved, but it was that one time where one guy turned around and punched another guy in the face so hard he pretty much broke his face so badly.....

blueshirt    0

Beats reality tv. :laugh:

Ayepecks    117
Too bad they started doing that way before the Pacers stormed the stands :whistle:

584959809[/snapback]

Too bad one jerk did, you mean? Don't imply it was more than one person if it wasn't, because that's a flat-out lie.

Wallace overreacted, Wallace blocked Artest about 60 seconds earlier and it looked like that Artest was trying to get one block back from Wallace. From the video clip, the foul doesn't look that hard, Artest made contact with Wallace's arm than clipped the shoulder.

584958336[/snapback]

Sigh... I don't think you even took the time to read my post. I wasn't blaming Artest... I guess the last part at the end that said "BLAME EVERYONE" in bold didn't catch your eye? :)

Toastyone    0

Thanks for the links :D from Stern:

"This demonstrates why our players must not enter the stands, whatever the provocation or poisonous behavior of people attending the games. :laugh: :laugh:

That was crazy! This is going to hurt the Pacers a lot more than the Pistons since they lost Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson....

ipacers    0

This is going to hurt Indiana much more than Detroit. I guess the Detroit fans got what they wanted. Although what Artest did was wrong I don't think it justifies a suspension of more than 30 games. Jackson should get 15 because although he went into the fans, he was only helping Artest. O'Neal shouldn't get more than 4-5 games. The only punch he threw was at a fan on the court and when fans go down to the court and try to attack the players, they have a right to defend themselves. So technically, O'Neal didn't chase any fans, he punched the ones that went down to him.

BroChaos    1

did you see the pacers game last night? the only had 6 players total...LMAO...

blackflash    0

yea lol but they played a good game, they only lost by three 83-86

Xeonic    0

NEW NEWS:

Suspensions are out:

Artest: SEASON (72) Games

Jackson: 30 Games

O'Neal: 25 Games

Wallace: 6 Games

Johnson: 5 Games

Peter Griffin    1

Where did you get that info?

Xeonic    0
Where did you get that info?

584963956[/snapback]

It is pasted all over ESPNEWS...All of the sports sites are now starting to post it.

It should also be noted that several players from both teams recieved one game suspensions and fines.

EDIT:

These are the players - Indiana's Reggie Miller, and Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman.

How can Reggie get a suspension when he is injured...its not like he was going to play anyway.

Xeonic    0

ESPN Report:

It appears the Indiana Pacers will pay a heavy price for Friday's embarrassing melee.

Ron Artest has been suspended for the season, while teammates Stephen Jackson received a 30-game suspension, and Jermaine O'Neal, a 25-game suspension, ESPN.com's Marc Stein and Insider Chad Ford have learned.

"The penalties issued today deal only with one aspect of this incident -- that of player misconduct. The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the professionalism and self control that should rarely be accepted from NBA players," commissioner David Stern said in a statement Sunday.

The Detroit Pistons will be without Ben Wallace for six games.

Indiana's Anthony Johnson also received a five-game suspension.

Eldon Campbell, Chauncey Billups and Derrick Coleman, as the Pacers' Reggie Miller each received 1-game suspensions and $35,000 fines for leaving the bench following the initial altercation between Wallace and Artest.

"We must ... not allow our sport to be debased by what seems to be declining expectations for behavior by fans and athletes alike," Stern said in the statement.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson -- who all threw punches at spectators in the stands or on the court at the end of the nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game -- began serving suspensions Saturday night when the league handed down indefinite bans until specific number of games could be decided upon.

The brawl was particularly violent, with Artest and Jackson bolting into the stands near center court and throwing punches at fans after debris was tossed at the players.

Later, fans who came onto the court were punched in the face by Artest and O'Neal.

Wallace began the fracas by delivering a hard, two-handed shove to Artest after Wallace was fouled on a drive to the basket with 45.9 seconds remaining. After the fight ended, the referees called off the remainder of the game. Pacers players were pelted with drinks, popcorn and other debris as they rushed to the locker room. The initial skirmish wasn't all that bad, with Artest retreating to the scorer's table and lying atop it after Wallace sent him reeling backward.

But when a fan tossed a cup at Artest, he stormed into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

"He was on top of me, pummeling me," fan Mike Ryan of Clarkston said. "He asked me, 'Did you do it? I said, 'No, man. No!"'

Jackson joined Artest and threw punches at fans, who punched back. At one point, a chair was tossed into the fray.

Security personnel and ushers tried to break it up. Former Pistons player Rick Mahorn, who was seated courtside as a Detroit radio analyst, also stepped in.

Artest was benched for two games this month for asking Pacers coach Rick Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a rap album.

Artest was suspended twice by the NBA last season, once for leaving the bench during a fracas at a Pacers-Celtics playoff game; the other for elbowing Portland's Derek Anderson. During the 2002-03 season, Artest was suspended five times by the NBA and once by the Pacers for a total of 12 games.

Artest also once grabbed a television camera and smashed it to the ground after a loss to the Knicks two years ago.

christracy    0

well that kills any chance of the pacers making it far into the playoffs. artest will have PLENTY of time to promote that album and further that music producer career, moron.

Peter Griffin    1

I hate Detroit, stupid fans. I don't blame any of the Pacers for what they did. And Ben Wallance set off the whole thing. Shameful city, Detriot sports has always had a bad wrap, and now I see why.

Chad    0

WOW....just wow. It's probably warranted, but this hurt's Indiana's season BIG TIME. I'd almost say it pretty much kills it

ChicoCahill    0

i think alot of these suspensions will be challenged

Dallas    0

its on ESPN, all news networks , probably to late now

davemania    1
well that kills any chance of the pacers making it far into the playoffs. artest will have PLENTY of time to promote that album and further that music producer career, moron.

584964073[/snapback]

I don't think they'll miss the playoff, they'll probably just get as the 7th or 8th seed.

Why was Reggie Miller suspended ? All i saw was him getting pelted with drinks

kars85    0

why would they be challenged? if anything, artest is lucky he can still play this season...he's a fricking psycho that needs to get a grip.

everyone is to blame though, the players should have skin of leather...they're getting paid millions. The should no let stuff like that get to them at all...let alone to the point of crossing the line and causing physical abuse to the people that make their paychecks possible

Ayepecks    117

Now everything would be worked out if they can find the stupid fans that threw the drinks and get them a small amount of jail time... namely the one that threw the first one.

CatnipOligarchy    1

wow, the whole season.. good for the NBA

kombolcha    11

:happy: Pacers season is now dead :happy:

L3thal    2
:happy: Pacers season is now dead :happy:

584965096[/snapback]

Don't count them out just yet ;)

Candy Dimsum    0

A whole season huh...Even to set an example this seems a bit too much.

You know what I wonder? What if Artest didnt do anything and just pointed the fan out which hit him with the cup. What would happen to that fan ?

Go Kings!

CatnipOligarchy    1
A whole season huh...Even to set an example this seems a bit too much.

Go Kings!

584965168[/snapback]

artest has had this coming though.. if he wasnt the bad boy of the league it may not have been as harsh..

on the bright side, artest will have all the time in the world to promote his album and work on a follow up