Official Superbowl XXXIX Discussion

Who do you think will win the super bowl this year?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the super bowl this year?

• New England
    • Philadelphia

This is the quote of the day from Media Day:

SportsNation Reporter: (10:30 a.m.) If you win, will you carry Andy Reid off the field?

Jeremiah Trotter: (10:30 a.m.) Did they carry Bill Belichick off last year? ; )

Brian Dawkins: (10:31 a.m.) We'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

I smell trouble if this ever happens. It could result in some career ending back injuries. :D

There are a couple reasons I feel the Eagles will win the superbowl.

Number 1: As a lot of people already stated, Donovan McNabb is not afraid to run with the ball. If he has to he will. The Pat?s, I don?t think, have seen a scrambling QB all season. Plus the Eagles O-line is very strong and aggressive. Half the time, DMC has so much time he could mail the ball to his receiversNumber 2: Anyway you look at it, special teams is the key to good field positioning. The Eagles have this advantage, here?s why. In NE?s 2004 regular season they were ranked 29th in punting avg. and 28th in the oppositions punt reand and kick return average. Whereas Philly ranked 4th in kickoff returns. David Ackers is one the best if not the best kicker in the league. A long deep kick and NE will struggle to return it for any decent yardage. If your line of scrimmage starts at the 15 or so during most of the game, it is going to affect your play calling. I think a lot of people either don?t realize this statistic or feel it doesn?t impact the game THAT much. That?s the secret to this game: SPECIAL TEAMS. Granted, NE does have the ability to move the ball down the field. But the Eagles D has been very strong these past couple games, especially Jeremiah Trotter and Brian Dawkins who have been like pitbulls out on the field.

As for those people who saying, ?ohh it?s gonna be a blow out?, pay closer attention. Anything can happen in this league. People keep saying ?ohh well, the Steelers handed the Eagles their @$$ and we handed the Steelers theirs?, which is true, but NE lost to the Dolphins. That goes to show any team at any time can have a bad game. These are the 2 best teams in NFL They both deserve to be here. It WILL be close game, but I think the EAGLES WILL COME OUT ON TOP.

Being from Philadelphia, we love the fact that we?re the underdog and people keep telling we?re going to lose. It?s what feeds us and this city is hungrier than ever for a championship.

Dynasties don?t last forever and just like ones before NE, and this ?DYNASTYVINCE IS COMING TO PHILLY!!! COMING TO PHILLY!!!

585396108[/snapback]

That's nice, but who the eff is vince?

...That goes to show any team at any time can have a bad game....

585396108[/snapback]

:)

I didn't want to quote the whole thing, as rehashing regular season stats and comparisons are useless.

I hope the Eagles get embarassed because of that idiot Freddie Mitchell. Dude didn't do a damn thing all year, has one nice game against the Vikings and now he thinks he is God's gift to football. Terrell Owens with a broken ankle might start in his place.

Go Patriots!

I hope the Eagles get embarassed because of that idiot Freddie Mitchell. Dude didn't do a damn thing all year, has one nice game against the Vikings and now he thinks he is God's gift to football. Terrell Owens with a broken ankle might start in his place.

585401012[/snapback]

Two good games, 4th and 26 also! He is a loudmouth, but even though he does not make TDs, he does get a first down on every catch he makes.

Two good games, 4th and 26 also!  He is a loudmouth, but even though he does not make TDs, he does get a first down on every catch he makes.

585402325[/snapback]

I know it's hard to go against any player on your favorite team: I endured TO for 6 years. He did amazing things for the Niners but I couldn't stand how he treated Jeff Garcia (who was his QB in his most productive year in 2001), how he treated Greg Knapp (who was the coordinator that got him all of his stats), and Steve Mariucci (who tried time after time to make peace with the guy). It just amazes me how quickly these guys forget how they got to where they are and those who helped them get there.

Oh well, should be a great game...

The Me Team vs. The Us Team

Here are some interesting stats I read in a story on NFL.com. The two teams are way to evenly matched:

• The combination of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and head coach Bill Belichick has never lost a playoff game (8-0).
  • Eagles head coach Andy Reid has never lost a game coming off a bye week (9-0).

• The Eagles have the third-best red-zone offense in the NFL.
  • The Patriots have the third-best red-zone defense in the NFL.

• The Patriots defense had 45 sacks during the season.
  • The Eagles defense had 47 sacks during the season.

• The Eagles had 17 interceptions and their quarterback threw only eight, giving them a plus-9 ratio.
  • The Patriots had 20 interceptions and their quarterback threw only threw 14, giving them a plus-6 ratio.

• The Patriots gave up 16.2 points per game on defense.
  • The Eagles gave up 16.2 points per game on defense.

• The Eagles gave up 13 rushing touchdowns and 16 passing touchdowns.
  • The Patriots gave up nine rushing touchdowns and 18 passing touchdowns.

• Patriots kicker Adam Vinatieri was 12 of 13 on field goals between 40-49 yards.
  • Eagles kicker David Akers was 15 of 18 on field goals between 40-49 yards.

• Eagles running back Brian Westbrook has generated over 100 yards of offense in eight straight wins.
  • Patriots running back Corey Dillon has averaged 122 yards rushing vs. NFC opponents this year (4-0).

• The Eagles are 20-0 when Westbrook gets at least nine carries.
  • The Patriots are 16-1 when Dillon plays in the game.

• The Patriots were 2-1 vs. Baltimore, Cleveland and Pittsburgh this year with a combined score of 89-52.
  • The Eagles were 2-1 vs. Baltimore, Cleveland and Pittsburgh this year with a combined score of 52-68.

Source: Link.

its three days away and it STILL can't get here fast enough. I'm taking a beating from the pats fans up here and i just want it all laid to rest with an eagles win. :D

its three days away and it STILL can't get here fast enough.  I'm taking a beating from the pats fans up here and i just want it all laid to rest with an eagles win.  :D

585409672[/snapback]

Your telling me. This has been the longest two weeks ever. What makes it worse is that I hear people mention the Eagles every 5 mins and at least twice a hour I hear an Eagles' chant come from somewhere. Then when I come home and turn on the news low and behold the top news story of the day is the Eagles. Nevermind that a few people got shot today in Philadephia or that the President gave his state of the union address last night. What is important in the news today is that T.O. scratched his head and action news was there to break the story.

its three days away and it STILL can't get here fast enough.? I'm taking a beating from the pats fans up here and i just want it all laid to rest with an eagles win.?:D:D

585409672[/snapback]

You're in the Bean and you like the EAGLES?!

Click here, and follow the directions.

---------------------------------------------------

So, CJC. Do you know where Cherry St. is in Newton?

Edited by Bawx

You're in the Bean and you like the EAGLES?!

Click here, and follow the directions.

---------------------------------------------------

So, CJC. Do you know where Cherry St. is in Newton?

585412769[/snapback]

been an eagles fan since before the bean and even in the bean im an eagles fan first and a pats fan second. those directions dont apply to me because im running xp :happy:

Here are some interesting stats I read in a story on NFL.com.

585408153[/snapback]

It fails to mention the fact that the Pats kick ass, and the Eagles do not.

been an eagles fan since before the bean and even in the bean im an eagles fan first and a pats fan second.  those directions dont apply to me because im running xp  :happy:

585414342[/snapback]

Curse you! I can't believe I move out of Boston for a year, the year the Sox win the WS and the Pats go for three ... and yet there are people like you up there instead! :laugh:

The pats familiarity with this situation give them a huge advantage. Huge.

It fails to mention the fact that the Pats kick ass, and the Eagles do not.

Curse you! I can't believe I move out of Boston for a year, the year the Sox win the WS and the Pats go for three ... and yet there are people like you up there instead!?:laugh::

The pats familiarity with this situation give them a huge advantage. Huge.

585414386[/snapback]

well im not much of a baseball fan but living across from fenway the sox have become my baseball team. actually i have a wide assortment of teams i root for, eagles(nfl), wolves(nba) and sox(mlb). growing up in a rural area i had to pick my own teams through media and my own travels. sorry u missed the fun of the sox winning the series. it was a wild party and even i got out of bed early to watch the sox rolling rally go past my place. :pp go eagles!!

lol btw, love the chubby hugs avatar.

I'm just wondering;

at what time is the superbowl over in the US... because the broadcast here in the netherlands takes 4 hours, and I can hardly imagine they'll play football that long... (0.00 to 4.00AM here :p)

besides, how many eurpoeans here'll watch it live? :p

Is this game going to be streamed online? Someone should stream it. But make sure you have a good connection, last time someone tried to stream something on TV, it was over their cable connection and after a few people started watching, it got jumpy.