Why Apples Out-Innovate PC's

Heh, without third party software you would not even be able to see a GUI in Linux Operating Systems.

Linux is just a kernel, everything on top of that is third party.

585476704[/snapback]

damn, im sick of morons sayig "linux is just the kernel"

we know, dumbass.

i didnt want to say

well in "gnome/kde/fluxbox/blackbox/XFCE/, you dont need third party tools to customize it"

as far as im concerned, linux is everything from the kernel to the window manager, even though that technically isnt correct.

and what the hell is that screenshot you posted? wow, you ran xp in a virtual machine. good going. :rolleyes: you still have a dock and you dont have a startbar for OSX. i can run osx in pearpc, it doesnt mean i have a dock.

I don't understand why would I want a start bar?. I prefer the Dock + Expose to a "Start Bar" If people wanted it Unsanity would make it but people don't want it there is no market for it and so we don't have it.

However there are many Dock programs for windows & Linux Distro's I wonder why that is? Could it be that they are not happy with what they already have? Heaven forbid

I have even seen Expose cloans for Windows. Your argument holds no water everything you bring up can be shot down so easily I don't even understand why you bother fighting a losing battle.

I buy Apple products because I have higher expectations then you. I expect my computing exspirence to be enjoyable. And every time I hit the on switch I get just that.

Sorry but Apple stuff is not a higher standard. If you think that then well its your thoughts and I'm glad you think for yourself.

Apple stock went up today! Its up to about $88 ..

beside the point, why can't we get along? I have a mac, big deal! You have a XP start button, big deal! You have [insert what you have], big deal!

Lets get over the dumb stuff and learn to be cool with each other. Microsoft and Apple are close. They make some of their apps available for both OS'. iTunes? VPC? MSN Messenger? Office?

see ... if they [apple and ms] can get along, we should too.

I don't understand how you can compare start menu's to dock's when half of the people here trying to make the comparison haven't used both OS's.

I've used OS X and Windows, and personally I think Mac is alot easier and cleaner. Come on, your windows minimize to the dock, organized and clean. And there are no viruses (there MIGHT be some exploits but I'm not sure) and it's just overall easier to use than PC. However, PC does have it's pros over Mac, like more software choices, more customization of the guts (hardware in computer) and Windows just has a lot more support than Mac (talking out of my ass there, that's just my opinion).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, the software thing is pretty false, since for every XP app, there is an OS X version/port/better alternative.

585478405[/snapback]

Just keep telling yourself that and everything will be OK.

Just keep telling yourself that and everything will be OK.

585485993[/snapback]

uh there is :unsure:

i've switched to mac recently and have had no problems finding programs that do everything thing the programs in windows do. hell some are even better

Seriously the reason I don't like Apple in general. I don't like the way the company tries  to get customers based on lifestyle decisions. Mainly because it is irrelevant. It has nothing to to with picking a computer platform. You can use a Mac if you want but please don't do it because "it makes you cool" or "different".  :)

I have no experience with OSX but I can honestly say every other Mac OS was clunky for the most part. Wasn't stable and not easy to use.

If you compare it to Win 3.1 it kicked tail though. But there are way too many nuances in pre OSX that make the Mac annoying to use.

Also I don't like the gimmicks Apple tends to throw out every year. The rainbow colored iMac, the cube, the upside down lampshade / toilet looking iMac, the MP3 player without a screen (And then justify it with marketing. It's cool because life is random and so should be my music collection.).... That all just annoys me.  :p

585467633[/snapback]

Have you looked at some of the marketing techniques PC companies use?

Although Mac OS before 10 was far from perfect, I think it was better then windows up till win2k, but then OS X came out a year later and it was spectacular and has only gotten better since.

what marketing techniques?

dell commercial:

dell has good customer support

call now and get this awesome computer with free printer and lcd for only 495.95.

Dude! youre getting a dell.

Dell pc's use intel pentium 4 processors

:&: du-nan-un-now :&:

mac commercial:

<elevator music>

ya...ummmm....i got my pc a couple years ago and i took pictures of my dog. but it kept crashing. so i bought an iMac and ever since then i put pictures of my dog on the computer. i also use it to connect to my ipod. and i buy music for my ipod from the itunes music store. it just works.

apple logo on blank screen.

</elevator music>

Edit: MORE!

dell jukebox

get the dell jukebox with your new pc and take your music with you on the go...bla..bla..bla

Apple iPod

<U2 music>

uno...dos..tres....katorse!!!!!! YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!!!!!!

</U2 music>

mac commercial:

<elevator music>

ya...ummmm....i got my pc a couple years ago and i took pictures of my dog. but it kept crashing. so i bought an iMac and ever since then i put pictures of my dog on the computer. i also use it to connect to my ipod. and i buy music for my ipod from the itunes music store. it just works.

</elevator music>

585486079[/snapback]

i like elevator music...

I've been using Windows for around 5 years now (95-XP) and faced so many different problems, I've been using OS X for 3 weeks at work now and have already converted to being a Mac/OS X lover. Time to sell the PC and hop ontop Dual G5's and a 20" Cinema display.

I've been using Windows for around 5 years now (95-XP) and faced so many different problems, I've been using OS X for 3 weeks at work now and have already converted to being a Mac/OS X lover. Time to sell the PC and hop ontop Dual G5's and a 20" Cinema display.

585486148[/snapback]

the only reason why i'm keeping my windows machine is for gaming. i'm not even a big gamer at that

personally Macs and Windows are eqaully good. One thing I hate is the fact that people refer to Macs and PCs and how PCs are SO bad.

For God's sake all PC's aren't Windows! Hell the Mac is just FreeBSD (which is originally x86), modified into Darwin, with Cococa and GUIs above it! Your OS is ONLY as good as you make it. If you didn't take care of your Windows box and it always crashed on you thats your fault, not Windows fault. Its your responsibliity to make sure its secure, running in its top condition and working its best, just as it is with any other OS. Me and Raum were discussing the views of Windows(or as they just generalize with the term PC), if you look in the Mac forums right here on Neowin you will see "Windoze" "Micro$oft" "Microshaft" "PeeC" and many other things but God forbid if you say "Crapple" then you'll have 20 people ripping on you for saying something opposed to Macs, even if it is a joke. I get so tierd with the retarded Mac community, its so biased. I accept Mac's as a great operating platform and good hardware, Apple makes good computers. I just hate the community, at least the people in the Windows community aren't bitching about Macs or *nix all the time.

Edited by LiquidGUI

Wow, a troll thread if I ever saw one.? You can always tell an Apple user because they're blinded by their faith in Steve.

You might want to take a trip outside of MacWorld and see the innovations of the PC world.? There is nothing the Mac can do that a PC can't do at half the price.?

Performance benchmarks are about as trustworty as a 100 year old rope bridge.? Everyone 'tweaks' them to suit their needs.? It's a time honored tradition in the computer world.

Apple's 'resurgence' is more due to people's frustrations with Windows than Apple producing a better product.? It's also the reason Linux is 'gaining momentum'.? Everyone is looking for an alternative to Windows.

Is Apple products superior?? It depends on the individual's needs.? Some will always hate a Mac and others will love them no matter what happens.

585462146[/snapback]

I agree 100% and some pc's are just as good or way better than apple (mac)

dual pci expresse video card

dual processor systems

more ram

-For example Alienware Alx ,But Apple Has The 30inch hd screens

-the ipod is crap compared to the creative zen personal media center but the ipod is cheap and better advertised its more like a fad right now

-lots of hardware and software are now "mac/pc" like printers and office and even msn

I still Hate Apple and will make fun of any apple users but i can see why some people like apple and that not everything about apple is bad

Edited by MvT Cracker

what marketing techniques?

dell commercial:

dell has good customer support

call now and get this awesome computer with free printer and lcd for only 495.95.

Dude! youre getting a dell.

Dell pc's use intel pentium 4 processors

:&: du-nan-un-now :&:

mac commercial:

<elevator music>

</elevator music>

Edit: MORE!

dell jukebox

get the dell jukebox with your new pc and take your music with you on the go...bla..bla..bla

Apple iPod

<U2 music>

uno...dos..tres....katorse!!!!!! YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!YA!!!!!!

</U2 music>

585486079[/snapback]

Hahaha, that's the first post in this thread that really cracked me up. :rofl:

I agree 100% and some pc's are way better than apple (mac)

dual pci expresse video card

dual processor systems

more ram

585486196[/snapback]

eh one quick thing. check out the powermacs. they are up to dual 2.5ghz g5 and you can use up to 8gb ram

eh one quick thing. check out the powermacs. they are up to dual 2.5ghz g5 and you can use up to 8gb ram

585486215[/snapback]

sorry but i don't really care and u can get up to 32gig on a dell server at dual or quad 3 ghz whats ur point

Quad Processor Intel Xeon, 3.0GHz/4MB Cache PowerEdge 66XX [add $18,999]

32GB DDR SP ROW (16X2GB) [add $27,380]

32GB DDR MIRRORING (16X2GB) [add $27,380]

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...650_RBP_RELSCSI

sorry but i don't really care and u can get up to 20gig on a dell server at dual 3 ghz whats ur point

585486218[/snapback]

wow youre comparing a server to a desktop...

wow youre comparing a server to a desktop...

585486221[/snapback]

yes so what why would anyone need dual processor or 8gb of ram on a pc ?

and the ram is only ddr 400 at $3050