GCSE's......

Yeah, I got 6-6-6 in the SATs and I ended up in set 1 for science and set 2 for maths (after being in set 2 for science and 3 for maths). English wasn't sorted by ability.

If you end up doing the foundation papers, the the highest you can get is a C at GCSE. Just like I was only able to get a maximum of B at maths GCSE. It might have changed though, as I took my SATS in 2001.

Just like I was only able to get a maximum of B at maths GCSE.

585822061[/snapback]

Sounds like you were doing the intermediate tier.

Foundation maximum of a C grade.

Intermediate maximum of a B grade.

Hight maximum of an A grade.

Not all subjects offer the intermediate tier though:rofl:l:

Anyone got any motivation tips? heh...

Its not that I dont want to do well, its just i cant be bothered studying at times.

Need 2 B's from... Physics, Information Systems, Classical Studies.

The Scottish Highers work differently from the English by the way.

I've made a study plan but sticking to it is going to be a challenge...

Anyone got any motivation tips? heh...

Its not that I dont want to do well, its just i cant be bothered studying at times.

Need 2 B's from...  Physics, Information Systems, Classical Studies.

The Scottish Highers work differently from the English by the way.

I've made a study plan but sticking to it is going to be a challenge...

585828304[/snapback]

Well next week I plan to motivate myself to revise by dragging myself off my computer and going downstairs to revise, but actually getting me off the comp will be the hardest part.

Gets up, eats breakfast etc.

Comp on,

Comp off,

Get bus to school,

Come home from school,

Comp on,

Comp off,

Bed,

Yep thats my life :)

Well next week I plan to motivate myself to revise by dragging myself off my computer and going downstairs to revise, but actually getting me off the comp will be the hardest part.

Gets up, eats breakfast etc.

Comp on,

Comp off,

Get bus to school,

Come home from school,

Comp on,

Comp off,

Bed,

Yep thats my life  :)

585837791[/snapback]

You aint alone ;)

GCSE's, I found, were too easy (did mine in June 2003). They've recently dumbed down AS-level maths this year loads too. I'm doing A2 maths right now, though too much of it focuses on learning a method rather than understanding. Examples of this include; bionmial, differentiation/integration, log laws. I just wish GCSEs and A-levels were made to:

A: teach us something useful

B: be interesting

C: quit the dumbing down

(Currently I do; Maths, Physics, Economics and Philosophy)

Be happy if you get A* in your GCSEs. Remember though, that GCSEs aren't a test for your intellect, and nobody really cares a few years down the line what your grades were. I?ve seen people get A* in GCSE maths and get D in A-Level, there is a difference between being able to recite facts and real intelligence.

Edited by Knight'

As a teacher I mark crap loads of exams the best thing I could recommend is write more than you have to talk crap you might find you answer the question by dumb luck honestly if you mention the right buzz words you get the marks.

I mark ICT papers and mentioning data, audience, fit for purpose, validation gets you marks even if they are completly in the wrong place!

------A bit late I know but coursework is the best way to get through an exam if you can walk in with a decent grade already you can put you feet up and whistle dixy and still get a C ----- example ICT 60% coursework 40 % exam you need 54% overall to get a C

good luck though everybody

I A'd all my GCSEs. They were so simple! This was back in June 2003

I barely studied for any of them - you really don't need to. It's all common sense, especially bio/physics/chem. English - all you need is a vivid imagination. Math - well, GCSE math is elementary math here. :p Languages are easy too.

The USA school system is far more challenging at that age. A-Levels do eventually catch up though. :)

i didn't have YR9 SATS either (private school) acctually i think i suffered for it. I've allways had end of year exams. However there is a big difference between the real exams and the ones you know don't matter and that diffrence comes out in how much work you do for it. GCSE's dont really matter in terms of results but the truth is that they simply prove that you are a consistent and hard working person. After screwing my GCSE's up, (4 A's 5 B's and a C) well after doing alot worse than i should have i've found it much more difficult to get into the swing of things. It's not the work, that isn't difficult it's the acctually getting down to it in the first place and being organised enuf ALL THE TIME. A levels require consistent year round work, even more so if you do modules. I've already started revising..only a little at a time but enough to fit it all in well in advance of exams. Just think about this. What do you want to do in life? What do you need to do it? Am i going to feel guilty if i don't do as well as i could/should have? Try and see the consiquences of not revising if you have big ambitions. I've always wanted to be a doctor but now i'm gonna have to go down some LOOOOOONNNG route to get there becasue i was too lazy to sit down for a month and revise and ya know what I think that really proves how dumb the system here in the UK is.

i didn't have YR9 SATS either (private school) acctually i think i suffered for it. I've allways had end of year exams. However there is a big difference between the real exams and the ones you know don't matter and that diffrence comes out in how much work you do for it. GCSE's dont really matter in terms of results but the truth is that they simply prove that you are a consistent and hard working person. After screwing my GCSE's up, (4 A's 5 B's and a C) well after doing alot worse than i should have i've found it much more difficult to get into the swing of things. It's not the work, that isn't difficult it's the acctually getting down to it in the first place and being organised enuf ALL THE TIME. A levels require consistent year round work, even more so if you do modules. I've already started revising..only a little at a time but enough to fit it all in well in advance of exams. Just think about this. What do you want to do in life? What do you need to do it? Am i going to feel guilty if i don't do as well as i could/should have? Try and see the consiquences of not revising if you have big ambitions. I've always wanted to be a doctor but now i'm gonna have to go down some LOOOOOONNNG route to get there becasue i was too lazy to sit down for a month and revise and ya know what  I think that really proves how dumb the system here in the UK is.

585839255[/snapback]

So the message is to revise me thinks :yes:

Why??

585838908[/snapback]

My first school was state so I had to do SATs. But my high school is independent, say don't follow the state school SATs exams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is no effective way of revising. Any way has its downsides and upsides. For example, what ever you do, dont revise when drunk! :wacko: Just doesnt work and you wont remember a thing! Best way to revise, IMO, is to read through your revision books and watch your Bitesize videos and make notes while doing it, so that by writing it down, the actual info is being "processed" in your head, so the chances of it being remember are increased! :rofl: Thats just me though! Worked for me! :happy:

The exams are drawing ever closer.........

Im starting to get stressed

There's a classic example. When you get stressed, go do something else, it just aint gonna work if your stressed. Revision is a no go, when stressed, nothing will be remember, when little will be, hence, revising while stressed is in effective, so dont do it! Just revise when calm, relaxed and so on.

Hope that helped!

Does anyone know when the English and Maths GCSE's are? Preferbally WJEC or AQA???

gl to everyone.

585959267[/snapback]

AQA English Lit. Specification B is on Wednesday 25th May. Can't remember or don't know the others.

well u all guys are so lucky who are taking gcse.

i live in HK and we need to take hkcee public exam just like gcse.

the fact is that Hkcee is 40% harder than GCSE.

so i think u guys can do well for sure., if u do 2hrs revision for each subject

AQA English Lit. Specification B is on Wednesday 25th May. Can't remember or don't know the others.

585959742[/snapback]

Im doing specification A and mine is tomorrow :cry:

Its official: Im going to fail.........

Had my German Higher Listenin and German Higher Reading today, some questions were hard but nothing too difficult.

Tomorrow as many people have said, i've got English Lit. :(