Dell 2405FPW UltraSharp Flat Panel Monitor

how well does gaming perform at non native resolutions.

I'm looking at getting one but for gaming I dont have a card that will hit 1920 x 1200 at a decent framerate in newer games (X800 pro). How would games look letterboxed (no stretching or anything)

smigit, it looks fine if you don't stretch.. i mean, its just like having a smaller monitor at that point but i think you may watch to stretch aspect wise. it still looks good. i only have a 6600 gt and i still manage to game one way or another with this monitor.

inplode, i unno, that would have to be dell.. usa, if you're in the usa. just call em if you're under warranty.

yea im just dreading  calling CS  lol

586772363[/snapback]

why? they usually are reasonably understanding; just explain your situation thoroughly and you should be fine.

Dell sounds quite good in terms of CS, the one problem I heard is you can take a while to get through to em. Do it in some time off in front of the TV or something

Dell sounds quite good in terms of CS, the one problem I heard is you can take a while to get through to em. Do it in some time off in front of the TV or something

586772566[/snapback]

I hope your kidding, their cs is terrible. You will wait a hour then you will get somebody that you cannot understand and they will not understand what your refferring too. Then they will send you to another moron, but you have to wait on hold for another hour. Dell cs is one of the worst. If you are calling through dell epp or small business then it is much better, but dell home cs is tops for being one of the worst.

well by "sounds" I was referring to what other people have said. I've never called and wouldnt know myself. By good I meant really the fact they dont appear to ask too many questions on returns, I havent heard anyone being denied one. I did state it would be a long phone call too.

hey guys, i have decided to buy 1 of these monitors instead of 2 2001FPs, and had 2 quick questions...

1) i want to eventually get a new computer, but for now i will have to use this with my current computer- will my radeon 8500 be able to handle to native res needed for this monitor?

2) also, on the Dell Canada website this monitor is currently on sale for $1039, down from $1399, i think thats a huge savings, BUT do u guys think i should wait for the christmass sales?

thanks! :)

hey guys, i have decided to buy 1 of these monitors instead of 2 2001FPs, and had 2 quick questions...

1) i want to eventually get a new computer, but for now i will have to use this with my current computer- will my radeon 8500 be able to handle to native res needed for this monitor?

2) also, on the Dell Canada website this monitor is currently on sale for $1039, down from $1399, i think thats a huge savings, BUT do u guys think i should wait for the christmass sales?

thanks! :)

586791907[/snapback]

1) a) The only game a Radeon 8500 could run at 1920x1200 is Solitaire. I don't know if the 8500 supports that resolution in Windows, but I can only imagine that it does. Just pay VERY CLOSE attention to 1b.

b) You probably cannot use the DVI connector with a Radeon 8500, I specifically recall Radeon 8500s using a DVI-D connector instead of a DVI-I, meaning your card is incompatible with the DVI connectors on LCD displays. Assuming you're stuck with the VGA connector, keep in mind that 1920x1200 over VGA = ass.

2) I live in the U.S., so I can't comment on Canadian prices, but I wouldn't pay any more than $700-$800 U.S. dollars for one of these LCDs. They go on sale periodically and to pay more would just be foolish. Still, if speed trumps budget then do whatever you want.

A DVI-D output will work fine with a DVI-I monitor, no worries there. DVI-I is more inclusive, not the inverse. I know, since Intel has these ADD2-N cards for new 915/945g systems and the output is DVI-D only.

But, I doubt the 8500 can do 1920x1200 over DVI, regardless. :)

A DVI-D output will work fine with a DVI-I monitor, no worries there.  DVI-I is more inclusive, not the inverse.  I know, since Intel has these ADD2-N cards for new 915/945g systems and the output is DVI-D only.

But, I doubt the 8500 can do 1920x1200 over DVI, regardless. :)

586817270[/snapback]

what if the option to get that high a res is presented to me now in display properties, and my current monitor simply cant handle it? does that mean my 8500 can do it? just curious as i do not want to buy a single piece of new hardware until i build my new computer mid 2006 ;)

Also, im in the same boat as the poster above anyone know of any canadian dell coupons for either the 2001fp or the 2405, please PM me or simply post them here woould be great! :)

For the ones that keep asking about 8500 and whether or not it can handle the resolutions here is the specs from ATI website for the 8500.

2D display modes: resolutions, colors and maximum refresh rates (Hz) in 256, 65K or 16.7M colors

Monitor Resolution Hz

640x480 200

800x600 200

1024x768 200

1152x864 200

1280x1024 160

1600x1200 120

1920x1080 120

1920x1200 100

1920x1440 90

2048x1536 85

Maximum 3D resolutions

64M

65K colors 2048x1536

16.7M colors 2048x1536

So, yes it can handle the 2405FPWs resolution demands.

Since it's been a while that the 2405 is available, one would think that something new and better will come out from DELL soon?? Any idea?

The 2405 is quite nice, but not the fastest out there...

:huh:

ive been hearing rumblings that a new 30" Dell lcd will be coming out late january/ early feb,. has all the bells and whistles of the previous LCDs, but also has that new protection scheme, forgive me forgot what its called,. HDCP or something.

it's currently 1300$ CAD which is pretty high for my budget, i think i'll wait until there is a good price drop :yes:

586849356[/snapback]

dude, you missed a sale a couple of days ago :( it was $1036, still high, but thats almost $300 off! :)

Ah yes I saw that, but wasn't too sure (and still aren't) what monitor to get, i know I want a 20+ but i'm not sure if it's going to be a dell 21 or 24, a gateway 21 etc.

Anyways, the prices might drop even more as we near christmas :woot:

Ah yes I saw that, but wasn't too sure (and still aren't) what monitor to get, i know I want a 20+ but i'm not sure if it's going to be a dell 21 or 24, a gateway 21 etc.

Anyways, the prices might drop even more as we near christmas :woot:

586849717[/snapback]

agreed, and also tempted to buy 2x 20" instead of 1x24" because its almost the same price! :p