Dell 2405FPW UltraSharp Flat Panel Monitor

Do what I did:

put off the purchase until a good HDCP monitor is out.

586849827[/snapback]

Please forgive my ignorance, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of HDCP?

i'd also like to know  :huh:

586850260[/snapback]

Advantages...none

Disadvantages....it's a pain in the ass, not all hardware works with it, its meant to keep you from copying things, etc, etc

Advantages...none

Disadvantages....it's a pain in the ass, not all hardware works with it, its meant to keep you from copying things, etc, etc

586850417[/snapback]

which in turn means its best to get a monitor that supports it

which in turn means its best to get a monitor that supports it

586850652[/snapback]

Why would one want to do that?

People watch HDTV just fine on today's computer and monitor, why would one buy a new monitor with limitations to do the same thing?

yeah what NetGX said. While today we can watch content just fine in the near future apparently we wonjt be able to watch media using HDCP unless the monitor itself supports it. So if you dont plan on ever using such media then your fine, if however you will be (ie movies bought over a counter) then you may very well get burnt.

Im torn between getting this monitor in Jan or waiting for a HDCP enabled version. I think ill wait just because half the reason I want it is to watch video on a larger screen.

• 1 month later...

Finally broke down and bought one after a couple months without a monitor of my own (been using an extra 17" lcd after selling my 193p). Decided that for my purposes waiting for the 2407wfp combined with a sale wasn't worth it.

Ugh, the 2405fpw has a blue stuck pixel near the center of the screen. I really need to get some good luck again and get a monitor worth keeping for once. Maybe the one that'll be here next week will be perfect.

i called in for the $899 deal, got approved for financing and he even lowered it to $849- told him id think about it and call back. Called back an hour later- CLOSED, doh! im a moron- hope that the sale happens again (probably will).

just ordered mine today, will be using it for my xbox360 aswell as the pc. PGR3 looks squished on my 19" monitor currently :(

as for HDCP am sure there will be ways to still watch the movies

After inspecting the blue stuck pixel further I realized that it is actually 2 blue stuck pixels on top of eachother. Also, though black uniformity is perfectly fine on my monitor, white uniformity is not. Even in a normal desktop I can tell that the left half of my start menu is noticeably dimmer than the right have, and if I full screen a firefox window the right half will look white while the left have will look grayish. Hopefully, the replacement will perform better in this respect.

Does this monitor support 720p and 1080i over the component input? I'd been reading some forums with emails from Dell stating it doesn't (or at least they are officially not supported... ??).