• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

MSN Messenger 5 for OSX Release date

.Dan    0

Yea... Finally :p:P:P

Dan

The_Decryptor    1,105
I sincerely hope they don't block version 4, I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than use the ugly UI in 5 :x

SEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Er, yes, I can see the send button, thanks. Jesus.

585922033[/snapback]

LOL

hopefully, they are moving to more compliant controls (they never used to be), if that's the case, open the .nib in interface builder, and modify it (im going to try to remove the metal apperance)

Dav-id    5
LOL

hopefully, they are moving to more compliant controls (they never used to be), if that's the case, open the .nib in interface builder, and modify it (im going to try to remove the metal apperance)

585922087[/snapback]

is interface builder part of xcode? I hope it is possible to remove the metal because i personally hate it!

Shetland    5

I'd like someone to change that send button to something a little less distracting and over the top.

Even though i have yet to buy a mac;)

The_Decryptor    1,105
is interface builder part of xcode? I hope it is possible to remove the metal because i personally hate it!

585922102[/snapback]

It's part of the Developer Tools, xcode just uses it for ui dev.

PureLogic    0
It's part of the Developer Tools, xcode just uses it for ui dev.

585922155[/snapback]

MSN Messenger 4 is coded in Carbon, so I'm not sure if you can mod Messenger 5 with Xcode very easily either.

And the whole gui will probably fall apart when changing it to Aqua or Aqua with Unified Title/Toolbar look. In other words: It will probably look really crappy in Aqua or Plastic.

Amnesia    0

i was looking at the comparison chart, and it was saying Messenger Mac 5 has only 22% of total options etc...

But i think thats a good thing. Less bloat.

Only things they need to add is animated emoticons (and custom ones), and messages history.

I dont care about nudges and winks and search bards etc...

powerdafuture    0

How do you all know what it looks like? Can I see some screenshots?

PureLogic    0
How do you all know what it looks like? Can I see some screenshots?

585922870[/snapback]

Did you bother clicking the link in the first post?

powerdafuture    0

LOL sorry I didnt even catch that...I must have skimmed over it.

Purple Haze    2

Eh, it's been passed over so much by AdiumX that I won't even bother.

PureLogic    0
Eh, it's been passed over so much by AdiumX that I won't even bother.

585923166[/snapback]

Adium X doesn't add any improvements to the network itself, Messenger 5 does (improved file transfer for example).

powerdafuture    0

well i wanna try messenger 5 before i try audiumx

RadishTM    312

Brilliant! :happy:

Radish?

Rudy    457

its about time

dansta    0

will they ever realease anything that allows us to have audio/visual convo's with windows users?!

Southern Patriot    934
will they ever realease anything that allows us to have audio/visual convo's with windows users?!

585924601[/snapback]

The only combination right now that works for full audio and video between OS X and Windows is iChat and AIM.

dansta    0

AIM? aol? i take it the windows person has to be on it too? or can they just use msn?

with iChat... thats the one where u have to have an .Mac account isnt it? sorry, im still a mac newishbie.

powerdafuture    0

So is there any official word? or is this based solely on this one site.

Southern Patriot    934
AIM? aol? i take it the windows person has to be on it too? or can they just use msn?

with iChat... thats the one where u have to have an .Mac account isnt it? sorry, im still a mac newishbie.

585924612[/snapback]

iChat and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) are compatible with each other. You can use an AOL account with iChat, you don't have to use a .Mac account. Yes, the Windows user has to be using AIM.

versiondub    0

Microsoft is really just doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. Why develop a program for a computer that doesn't run your OS, only carries 4% of the market, and already has more full-featured clients available? It just doesn't make sense...

fuzzy_logic    0
Microsoft is really just doing this out of the kindness of their hearts.  Why develop a program for a computer that doesn't run your OS, only carries 4% of the market, and already has more full-featured clients available?  It just doesn't make sense...

585925643[/snapback]

Oh you think so? Granted Apple only has 4% market share, but don't tell me you don't have a single friend who uses Macs. Therefore Microsoft has to make a client for Mac OS X so that Windows users will be able to communicate with Mac users. If not, MSN can't broast about cross-platform compatibility. Personally I think the MSN messenger division would make a Linux version too, if Microsoft as a whole weren't so against open-source software.

When a company goes public, there really isn't such a thing as "the kindness of their hearts". Pretty much everything is profit-driven.

The_Decryptor    1,105
MSN Messenger 4 is coded in Carbon, so I'm not sure if you can mod Messenger 5 with Xcode very easily either.

And the whole gui will probably fall apart when changing it to Aqua or Aqua with Unified Title/Toolbar look. In other words: It will probably look really crappy in Aqua or Plastic.

585922210[/snapback]

Really, i read it had strange ui controls (like they made their own textbox, why bother doing that?) but i didnt know it was a carbon app.

But, hell, i'll mod it anyway, lets see if it looks any better, or worse (im going for worse, but still, it's the principal)

PureLogic    0
Really, i read it had strange ui controls (like they made their own textbox, why bother doing that?) but i didnt know it was a carbon app.

585925993[/snapback]

Yeah that totally sucks. They made the text boxes in such a way that Mac OS X spellcheck doesn't work, and they didn't include a plugin to make the Office 2004 spellcheck work either. I hope they fixed it in the new release.

Southern Patriot    934
Microsoft is really just doing this out of the kindness of their hearts.  Why develop a program for a computer that doesn't run your OS, only carries 4% of the market, and already has more full-featured clients available?  It just doesn't make sense...

585925643[/snapback]

Messenger is supported by advertising (unless you happen to also own Office, in which case you can turn the ads off). While Mac users aren't that great in numbers, they do tend to be more affluent than other computer users, and they may be more likely to purchase things that they see advertised there.