MSN Messenger 5 for OSX Release date

The only combination right now that works for full audio and video between OS X and Windows is iChat and AIM.

585924605[/snapback]

Or if you just want to use audio, skype is pretty good

Or if you just want to use audio, skype is pretty good

585926888[/snapback]

Or for just video, Yahoo Messenger works. But, as I said, the only one that supports both currently is iChat/AIM. I've pretty much given up all hope of Yahoo ever updating their client any further, which is unfortunate, since I really like it.

Or for just video, Yahoo Messenger works.  But, as I said, the only one that supports both currently is iChat/AIM.  I've pretty much given up all hope of Yahoo ever updating their client any further, which is unfortunate, since I really like it.

585926941[/snapback]

I used use the yahoo client on a daily basis just for video, but it crashed too damn much lol

so where is Microsoft Messenger 5.0? thought it was coming out today

585930567[/snapback]

Is it really that hard reading the first page? It's due to be released in the next seven days, starting May 16, 2005.

And "today" isn't over yet in Europe and the US.

hey smarty. a bit earlier they said monday...!

585932587[/snapback]

They said for sure in the next 7 days, as early as Monday.

Try reading a bit further:

As with previous releases, Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit has a tendancy to release updates on a Monday however they have been known on several occasions to delay updating the site to reflect updates until a Tuesday

So we have to keep Tuesday as an option too. It's just passed 5 AM in California, 2 PM in Holland. Just be patient and remember it's still a rumour, we haven't heard anything official from Microsoft. :)

Yeah that totally sucks. They made the text boxes in such a way that Mac OS X spellcheck doesn't work, and they didn't include a plugin to make the Office 2004 spellcheck work either. I hope they fixed it in the new release.

585926465[/snapback]

MS seem to do that for a lot of things, like WMP (and office), it has it's own label, group box and textbox controls.

I cant see any possible reason for doing this, unless they don't know how to use them (and i hope that's not true, but seeing the quality of their mac software, one has to wonder)

Spellcheck isn't available in Office or Messenger text boxes because it works only in Cocoa apps, whereas both Office and Messenger are Carbon apps.

Spellcheck isn't available in Office or Messenger text boxes because it works only in Cocoa apps, whereas both Office and Messenger are Carbon apps.

585932756[/snapback]

Yeah. I'm glad that Microsoft Office 2004 uses it's own spellcheck because it's way more advanced than the one Mac OS X uses. The way iWork '05 handles it's spellcheck just makes me wanna cry: I have a really hard time convincing it to use Dutch spellcheck for the whole document and not just word per word while using English for the system's interface.

They should have made an Office spellcheck plugin for MSN Messenger though. :crazy:

I got a "soon" from a Microsoft Rep...that's all he could say though...so it is SOON. Just on telling when.

585933741[/snapback]

Soon as in this week, or soon as in "Longhorn soon"?

"Longhorn soon" senario:

Tuesday turns into this week, tuns into next month, turns into 2nd half 2005, turns into 1Q 2006 etc. :pinch:

Soon as in this week, or soon as in "Longhorn soon"?

"Longhorn soon" senario:

Tuesday turns into this week, tuns into next month, turns into 2nd half 2005, turns into 1Q 2006 etc. :pinch:

585934484[/snapback]

You know how that is...he wouldn't tell me anything else but SOON...I was like DAMN!!! but i am being completely honest though.

It must be really hard uploading the Messenger 5.app file if it's really final then. ;)

585935074[/snapback]

Hey, these ARE Microsoft servers we are talking about. :p

Hey, these ARE Microsoft servers we are talking about.  :p

585938199[/snapback]

Yeah, and they have to upload Mac files on them. What was I thinking?! That will never work out! :laugh:

No but seriously, what's keeping them from releasing it if it's final? It's only a few MB compressed file, and all the help pages are already online.

Yeah, and they have to upload Mac files on them. What was I thinking?! That will never work out! :laugh:

No but seriously, what's keeping them from releasing it if it's final? It's only a few MB compressed file, and all the help pages are already online.

585938218[/snapback]

There is a lot more to releasing an app than just a final version. Politics, shareholders, promises, last-minute screw ups, marketing... could be anything.

There is a lot more to releasing an app than just a final version. Politics, shareholders, promises, last-minute screw ups, marketing... could be anything.

585939525[/snapback]

We're talking about a moderate IM client update, not the release of a new Operating System that needs to be pressed on thousands DVD's and shipped to stores all over the world. :p

We're talking about a moderate IM client update, not the release of a new Operating System that needs to be pressed on thousands DVD's and shipped to stores all over the world. :p

585939545[/snapback]

For sure, but we're also talking about Microsoft.

585939525[/snapback]

I'm betting on the "last minute screw up" myself. :p :yes: