MSN Messenger 5 for OSX Release date

Wow! That is a really disgusting interface.

... After a second look, maybe it's the OVERLY LARGE "send" button. Good grief, if they did some usability testing I am sure they would find most people use the "enter key" for sending instant messages anyway. That button's size is just unnecessarily awkward.

585835979[/snapback]

Yeah, the send button is too big. :x

And, i hope they possibly allow changing between metal and normal, and possibly the new style on tiger. Cause i really dont like the brushed metal. :no:

Haha I kinda like the new interface, it's waaaaayyyyy better than the one MSN Messenger 4 is using.

@divinatum

Actually I find the 1 billion preference options in Adium more horrible than MSN Messenger for Mac.

Edited by PureLogic

Just use adium 0.8beta. the current version of MSN for mac is horrible, and I expect this release to be trash too.

585836134[/snapback]

Yes lets use Adium which will not allow you to unblock contacts, limits your upload to 5kbps when sending files, has a few second lag when sending msgs to other people i.e. 2 - 3 seconds after you send a msg they then receive it (I have had lots of complaints from my contacts about this) and has so many preferences even I think "wtf..".

Microsoft designed MSN and we want an official client not some half assed attempt by a 3rd party.

lol, I've never heard of people complain about too many features. I use Adium, love adium, and have tried the official clients for AIM, MSN, and Y! on OS X. Adium is volumes better.

lol, I've never heard of people complain about too many features.  I use Adium, love adium, and have tried the official clients for AIM, MSN, and Y! on OS X.  Adium is volumes better.

585837367[/snapback]

its just way to bloated on the customisation menu's if they made it CLEANER and easier to find what you want to change then it would not look so bloated and I would not be moaning. If any of you have used MsgPlus! on Windows for MSN Messenger (www.msgplus.net) the way it lays out its configuration menu is the best I have ever seen on any application on any platform period.

It's working for me, using it as we speak.

585837475[/snapback]

It works for some and doesn't work for others. I'm behind a router and 7.0 won't sign in. Though 6.2 works perfectly. On my other pc 7.0 works fine.

It works for some and doesn't work for others. I'm behind a router and 7.0 won't sign in. Though 6.2 works perfectly. On my other pc 7.0 works fine.

585837485[/snapback]

Okay.

its just way to bloated on the customisation menu's if they made it CLEANER and easier to find what you want to change then it would not look so bloated and I would not be moaning. If any of you have used MsgPlus! on Windows for MSN Messenger (www.msgplus.net) the way it lays out its configuration menu is the best I have ever seen on any application on any platform period.

585837464[/snapback]

To be fair, the 0.8 betas have gone a long way into actually organising the preference menus, but I do agree that there can seem to be a lot. I happen to like the customisation aspect of it, but I can understand that some people might just want a client that works.

Oh, and the new betas handle blocking/unblocking pretty well for me, and my file transfers usually peak at around 12kb/s. Not amazing, but an improvement.

Did they equip Adium with a proper contact list already or does it still exists out of a few floating bubbles on the desktop?

585840990[/snapback]

Just another one of the million preferences you can change.

I would love adium if they would quit spending their time making up new features and just make the damn thing work consistently. The 'cool' effect of the software runs out after about the 5th crash, or the 3rd time you need to do something it doesn't support/impletment correctly like blocking, file sending, etc...

Just another one of the million preferences you can change.

585841151[/snapback]

Okay thanks, didn't felt like searching for a week for it. :p

lmao man and I thought I didn't like AdiumX?:pp

585841605[/snapback]

They should make AdiumXP of it, the pointless preferences and stability of the app fit Windows more.

thats a low blow?:whistle::

585841718[/snapback]

Nah, they should make it more Mac OS X-like: Simple, elegant, stable, easy to use with features we actually need.;))

Nah, they should make it more Mac OS X-like: Simple, elegant, stable, easy to use with features we actually need. ;)

585841738[/snapback]

I was refereing to the Microsoft Windows bash actually.

• 3 weeks later...
Microsoft Messenger 5.0 for Mac (previously MSN Messenger for Mac) has been confirmed for release within the next 7 days.

Sources indicate the development cycle for the application has ended and the documentation for the application has been completed and finalised slating the new version of Messenger for Mac to be released as early as Monday 16th May.

Source: http://r-james.myby.co.uk/messenger/article.php?id=021

At long last looks like we might get Messenger 5!

I sincerely hope they don't block version 4, I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than use the ugly UI in 5 :x

SEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Er, yes, I can see the send button, thanks. Jesus.