Legalise Marijuana?

Should the governments legalize cannabis?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Should the governments legalize cannabis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont care

OH my gosh, and what scientifc study did this come from... oh i see hempevolution.org

If you are not going to post any REAL medical evidence or study, the don't post crap please, i makes you look STUPID

585862675[/snapback]

Um, please dont call me stupid. The link I gave you was the first hit that came up in google when I searched. There are thousands of other links providing the same information.

http://civilliberty.about.com/library/cont...ugWarIssues.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/1632726.stm

http://www.drugwarfaq.com/

http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/200...anaIllegal.html

http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/DrDrew/prohib.html

I leave you with scans from a popular mechanics magazine - from february 1938

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

no, i seen it mess up people bad.

I dont see why we should compare it to alcohol and tobacco. Saying alcohol and tobacco kill more than marijuana doesnt sound good at all, so its ok if one kills less then the others, sounds like all three should be banned then.

-}x0{-: i aksed for a scientific study that proves it does not cause the side effects that were listed as CONS that i posted, you have yet to do that

yo username, im not bragging, im seeing what ratio of Neowin thinks it should be legalised.

I dont think im cool because i do it, i think i know how to have a good time, just because i dont agree with the age the law puts on for drinking, it doesnt mean im some sort of thug.

I also didnt realise i was stealing, i thought they were going to be thrown away.

Im probably more intelligent than you, and if Im not, im sure i know much more about I.T, so why dont you just step off and go back to your mummy, you sound like someone who has never done anything wrong and had no friends as a child

I smoke marijuana and do not find it anymore dangerous than when I drink alcohol. I would like to see it become legalized. One of the main reasons why it is illegal is because the government cannot tax it. The plant grows well in many climates and users could grow it on their own and avoid paying a tax that the government would put on it if it was legal. Another reason why it is illegal is because it gives the government a reason to put people in jail. Keeping marijuana illegal helps fuel this "War on Drugs" that our (US) government practices. If marijuana was legal, there would be less criminalization and the government does not want that. Keeping people in jail makes them easy to control, and any reason to put someone in jail is what the government wants.

I do see a downside to legalizing marijuana. Lets say for example that one day all of a sudden, marijuana is legal to buy/smoke/sell whatever. Lets say that day is tomorrow. You know what would happen tomorrow? Tomorrow, so many people would be exercising this new freedom that it would be a problem. Too many people would be high. Especially the ones who are irresponsible when under its influenece. This is difficult to explain, but a large portion of the population would be so excited about this new freedom that it would probably slow down the economy because these people were getting high instead of doing their work. I'd like to see marijuana legal someday, but I think it has to be a slow process. It cannot be done overnight. The government could start out by lightening up on the charages associated with marijuana crimes, and then gradually moving from there. A good example of this is in the Netherlands. Marijauna is "tolerated" there, law enforcement is spending more time fighting "real" crime instead of arresting some kid for smoking a joint. Overall, the way I see it, if alcohol is legal, marijuana should also be legal.

Im probably more intelligent than you, and if Im not, im sure i know much more about I.T, so why dont you just step off and go back to your mummy, you sound like someone who has never done anything wrong and had no friends as a child

585862783[/snapback]

oh the irony is killing me, how do you spell alcohol again :laugh: tell me about those "other places" that "pot ****s you up" :whistle:

How about you give me your scientific study thats not from DARE and which is not 10 years outdated? I know I am right and I know you are wrong. Thats really all I care about. If your at all interested in what I have to say and not just trying to flame me whenever I post credible and proved information, why dont you check out all the that I have posted so far -- hey and here is a thought. Once you have some free time why not open the history books yourself and learn the real history about weed.

Its been state law for sometime now in California and widely used for medicinal purposes and isn't really even debated over anymore these days.

oh the irony is killing me, how do you spell alcohol again :laugh: tell me about those "other places" that "pot ****s you up" :whistle:

585862798[/snapback]

yep, thank god u dont smoke it your 'half an inch' might not be able to get up, and not being able to '######' dont even worry about what that means.

Why do you feel so strongly about it?

Kst, thanks for bringing that point up. I overlooked that fact when I was arguing with username...

Maryland also has legal medicinal usage, but its not as readily available compared to California.

Michigan is voting in 2006 to legalize/decriminalize, and I think Nevada is jumping on the bandwagon soon.

The deciding factor however is Raich v Ashcroft. Look it up.

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/200...uideToTheS.html

sod it all pros cons, neutrals here:

POSITIVE

mood lift

relaxation, stress reduction

creative, philosophical or deep thinking : ideas flow more easily

increased appreciation of music. More aware of, deeper connection to music.

increased awareness of senses. (eating, drinking, smell)

change in experience of muscle fatigue. Pleasant body feel. Increase in body/mind connection.

pain relief (headaches, cramps)

reduced nausea, increased appetite (used medically for this)

boring tasks or entertainment can become more interesting or funny

NEUTRAL

general change in consciousness (as with many psychoactives)

increased appetite, snacky-ness

slowness (slow driving, talking)

light closed-eye visuals (uncommon)

tiredness, sleepiness, lethargy

stimulation, inability to sleep (less common)

blood shot eyes (more common with certain varieties of cannabis and inexperienced users)

mouth dryness, sticky-mouth (varies with strain)

interrupts linear memory. Difficulty following a train of thought.

cheek, jaw, facial tension / numbness (less commonly reported)

racing thoughts (especially at high doses)

increased emotional impact of music

Time sense altered: cars seem like they are moving too fast, time dilation and compression are common at higher doses

NEGATIVE

nausea, especially in combination with alcohol, some pharmaceuticals, or other psychoactives

coughing, asthma, upper respiratory problems

difficulty with short term memory during effects and during periods of frequent use

racing heart, agitation, feeling tense

mild to severe anxiety

panic attacks in sensitive users or with very high doses (oral use increases risk of getting too much)

headaches

dizziness, confusion

lightheadedness or fainting (in cases of lowered blood pressure)

paranoid & anxious thoughts more frequent

possible psychological dependence on cannabis

clumsiness, loss of coordination at high doses

can precipitate or exacerbate latent or existing mental disorders

Source: http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_effects.shtml

POSITIVE

mood lift

relaxation, stress reduction

creative, philosophical or deep thinking : ideas flow more easily

increased appreciation of music. More aware of, deeper connection to music.

increased awareness of senses. (eating, drinking, smell)

change in experience of muscle fatigue. Pleasant body feel. Increase in body/mind connection.

pain relief (headaches, cramps)

reduced nausea, increased appetite (used medically for this)

boring tasks or entertainment can become more interesting or funny

those are not even facts, so take that with a grain of salt that they are worth

It's not LEGAL because there are more smart an educated people out there than idiots, thats why it always gets voted down

It's not LEGAL because there are more smart an educated people out there than idiots, thats why it always gets voted down

585862874[/snapback]

how can you have facts if it it effects how a person feels. you can only trust someones words word unless you do it yourself and expirament with it. its like explaining to somehow how it feels to get drunk. and these pros might not be the feeling some are looking for so it might not be a pro for them.

yeah you are right, there are no "facts" on the mental and physical effects of pot or alcohol :whistle: just personal opinion

Coming from Ann Arbor, MI where annual hash bash is held to promote the legalization of weed, I don't think it is such a bad thing to legalize it. A lot of rich people are making more profits by illegally importing weeds for lower price, and then expand on the profit by selling small quantities at once. Well, by banning weed, it does seem to push people off the edge.

My only conern against weed is that my two housemates are both pot heads by default, which makes them like living zombies all the time. I have a tons of work, and then I come home seeing two zombies sleeping and eating tons of food. That really looks annoying.

Plus, I hate smokes, and the smell of weed is aweful. Mind you, but these smoke can trigger my potential asthema symptoms. Sometimes, I can't breathe. That's how bad it is. I often force my housemates to smoke in their own room becuase it is too much to deal with.

The funny thing is that they never seem to go broke. They always have money for weed, but no money for food and car gas?

The funny thing is that they never seem to go broke. They always have money for weed, but no money for food and car gas?

585862911[/snapback]

HOW FUNNY!

585862874[/snapback]

and how do you know this, you said you have never tried it

585862874[/snapback]

Quite a nice job of cut-n-paste you did there username. It always suprised me how someone could take one report, trash half of it, and frame the other. You'll notice though that its also the same people who feel they have a right to legislate with a consenting adult does in the privacy oh his/her home.

I personally would never touch the stuff, but if Bill across the street needs it to relax after work, so be it. I also don't feel like being insulted by a man who gets his facts from a 1950's brochure on "Reefer Madness".

I'd first like to say, can we stop the bitching? This'll get the topic locked and I don't want that happening :) . Thanks!

Ok, to start off with! Disturb3d is a 15 year old boy who people says stole things etc. You weren't there at the time of the crime, heck you don't even know him! He says he took them, because he thought they were going to be thrown out. Until he posts an official police report here (which is unlikely) we won't see both sides of the story, hence it's incomplete - and we can't make assumptions.

Second of all Username, please stop attacking people because they give you flame bait, just sit back and laugh in the comfort of your chair - your just making people get excited and use a lot of *s.

But now onto my argument, I am currently 16 years of age - and live in the country that "tolerates" the use of Cannabis (Marijuana).

Well as the legal age to buy it is 18, and the legal age to smoke it is 18 I guess you could say I have broken the law having smoked it on the odd occasion. However, in a way I do see it as a "run-away" drug, where people think it can solve all their problems. I had a bit of trouble, with school etc. (grades wise) - and yet after I'd smoked my first roll of cannabis (also known as a doobie / joint / fruit rolly etc.), it made me realise that I can try harder, and since then I can honestly say my grades have improved. From low C to High B / Low A, now on the grounds of this I could argue legalise it.

However different people different side effects etc. for me it calmed me down, put my head straight and made me realise if I didn't put my rear into gear i'd be job hunting nevermind finishing school!

I have acquitances shall we say at my school, they're not my friends, nor are they just people I ignore in the hallway. They've been smoking it for a few years now (ages vary from 16-18), and some of the people in that "gangs" grades are abysmal! However a few of them are getting high grades B/A* and have been smoking it for a minimum of 1 year - and do it on an extremely regular basis.

Now allow me to repeat what others have said - there have been studies that say Cannabis is bad for you, however studies have also proven that Alcohol and Cigarettes can have worse and longer side effects than that of cannabis. However once again, this varies from person to person.

So in conclusion, I think that Cannabis should be legalised, but in extremely small quantities. The Netherlands, currently tollerates the amount for 3 "joints", on ones own of age 18+, and cannot be smoked in public (only in coffee shops, and your home). Personally I think this is a bit much and would probably limit it to carrying 1-2 "joints" and keeping at home for a maximum of 3-5. Ofcourse it would be hard to enforce this, however I honestly feel that people cannot accept the fact that cannabis, alcohol and cigarettes, have their own pros and cons. Which have more or less i'm not argueing in this post, however I'm going to do some research and come back here with my findings :) .

what the hell are you talking about? i was quoting what your buddy groovedude posted

585863040[/snapback]

When you referred to the link that Groovedude posted, you only quoted the positive side when questioning the factuality of it.

find me the one that says pot has less long term side effects than tobacco

code_monkey: because they positive was used in his argument and they were total BS...