[Definitive] Nintendo Wii Thread

Source: Nintendo.com

Each generation of video game consoles builds on the past to set new standards for the future. As the company with the strongest heritage of innovation, Nintendo redefines expectations for all next-gen systems by employing a wide-ranging strategy to attract more kinds of gamers to more kinds of games. When Nintendo’s new console, code-named Revolution, arrives in 2006, everyone will discover the meaning of All-Access Gaming.

"We will show the world what a next-gen system can be. Revolution marries the strongest heritage of innovation to the future of gaming," says Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. "With backward compatibility and the 'virtual console' concept, the stylish, compact body provides maximum gaming power. It will not only take home entertainment into another dimension by expanding the definition of video games, but it also will give you access to the great history of gaming."

Some of the system features that wowed the crowd at the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles include:

The cool look: The new console boasts high-quality materials and a smart, compact design, approximately the size of three standard DVD cases stacked together. A variety of prototype colors are being showcased during E3. It will come with a silver stand that makes the system a welcome, artistic component of any multimedia setup, whether it’s displayed vertically or horizontally.

Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the current Nintendo GameCube generation. But there's more…

The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory.

Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

The specs: The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution’s technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

The stars: Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will add to the world’s richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Wireless freedom: A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo’s newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment.

Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game “masterpieces” as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

"Our next console proves small in size but big on ideas," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of sales & marketing. "We’re throwing open the doors of gaming to wider audiences, from casual players to hard-core gamers who live for the thrill of defeating an endless army of wireless opponents."

Nintendo's All-Access Gaming philosophy covers the spectrum. The next console fits anywhere. It brings together new games and old. It gives people worldwide access through wireless Wi-Fi connections. And it opens the world of video games – to everyone. Software for the new console will even attract people who don’t consider themselves players. Adults, kids, men and women around the world will have access to the most popular video game characters, the best game franchises and the most engaging experiences yet developed – only with Nintendo.

Known Specifications: Wikipedia

* Processors:

o IBM PowerPC CPU "Broadway":

+ Has been recently completed

o ATI GPU "Hollywood":

* Supposedly "one development source we spoke to had this to say of the Revolution CPU and GPU: "Basically, take a GameCube, double the clock rate of the CPU and GPU and you're done." source: [17]

* Memory:

o 88 MB 1T-SRAM by MoSys

o 512 MB built-in expandable flash memory

o 16 MB DRAM or D-RAM

* Ports and peripherals:

o Two USB 2.0 ports.

o Wireless controllers.

o Possibly a single proprietary output for video and audio.

o 4 ? Nintendo GameCube controller ports and 2 ? Nintendo GameCube memory card ports (for compatibility).

o Optional USB PC-compatible 802.11b wireless router.

* Media:

o Slot loading optical disc drive compatible with both 12 cm and 8 cm proprietary optical discs (again, for GameCube compatibility) as well as standard DVD discs. The proprietary optical discs will hold 4.7 GB (single layered) and 8.5 GB (double layered).

o 2 ? front loading SD memory card slots.

o Nintendo has announced that the Revolution will have a content ratings system in its console, having age restrictions as follows: PEGI 3+, 7+, 12+, 16+,18+, and ESRB EC, E, E10+, T, M, and AO.

* Networking:

o Wi-Fi by the Broadcom Corporation:

+ Built-in 802.11b & 802.11g support.

o No Ethernet port built-in, though Iwata has mentioned that a USB-attachment Ethernet port peripheral will be released, though no further information is known.

* Final version will be smaller than the presented E? prototype, which is "about the size of three stacked standard DVD cases" (as quoted from the conference).

[quSpeculation: Wikipedia

* Nintendo will probably have multiple colors for the Revolution. Five colors were shown at E?: White, Silver, Black, Red, and Lime.

* The Revolution may have connectivity with the Nintendo DS or Nintendo's next handheld system (seeing as Nintendo says that the Nintendo DS is not the next Game Boy system). Nintendo Power magazine has said this is likely in its July 2005 issue. A reported interview with Mr. Miyamoto seems to confirm this; however, the legitimacy of the source is unknown.[28]

* Several publications are citing an anonymous source inside Nintendo that claims the system will be renamed "Revo". The source has released images of what could be 2.5GHz IBM G5 Custom cores, with 128 KiB of level 1 cache and a 512 KiB shared level 2 cache, while the graphics will be powered by a dual core ATI RN520 chipset, with 16 MiB of on-board eDRAM for the frame buffer."[29] Current rumors from the same website provides new, as well as contradictory, details to the first report: "The specifications [...] suggest that the system will be powered by two 1.8Ghz IBM PowerPC G5 processors, a 600Mhz graphics chip from ATI and a 7.1 Digital Sound chipset. The console will apparently sport 128MiB of high speed 1T-SRAM as main memory, along with 256MiB of slower DRAM, while the graphics chip has 12MiB of on-board high speed RAM. 6GiB proprietary DVD-size discs, designed by Panasonic, would be used for Revolution's games. 1 "[30] The contradictions make it evident that some, if not all the information presented by this source, is incorrect.

* Additionally, Jim Merrick of NoE stated that the hardware specs won't be released until right near the Revolution's Launch, if ever. This is an attempt to put down the importance of specifications, and the fact that the Non-Gamers, an audience they're trying to reach, wouldn't care.

* Another rumor on the specs - According to a rumor, the Nintendo Revolution will have a dual-threaded IBM Custom PowerPC 2.5 GHz with 256 KB L1 cache and 1 MB of L2 cache (an L3 cache is rumored), an ATI R520-based custom GPU core at 600 MHz with 256 MiBs of 1T-SRAM with a average in game performance of 100 million polygons per second and 50 billion shader operations per second, and an Aegia PhysX PPU with 32MB 1T-SRAM. [31] Factor 5 president Julian Eggebrecht responded by saying that Han_Solo is not a employee of Factor 5, does not speak for Factor 5, and might be facing possible legal action from Factor 5. [32]

* A Nintendo of Europe Executive (Jim Merrick) has claimed that "there would be no significant difference between the graphical abilities of the console compared to other next generation systems". This suggests that the graphical abilities of the Revolution are likely to be comparable to those of the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3.

* There is speculation that there will be 50 games ready for launch. A third Super Smash Bros. game with online play is said to be bundled in with the Revolution.

* Classic Sega titles may also be made available for download, in addition to classic Nintendo titles. This potentially includes titles released for the Sega Master System, Sega Genesis/Megadrive, Sega CD, Sega 32x and Sega Saturn. Some of the CD-based games would need to be either stored on external SD cards that the Revolution supports or delivered on optical discs, given the system's expected 512MiB of internal storage. These rumors were sparked by comments made by Sega on the Nintendo Revolution. [33]

* A new Kid Icarus game was hinted to be in development by Shigeru Miyamoto in an interview with IGN.

* Mario Revolution is likely to be the long developed Super Mario 128, considering comments by Mr. Miyamoto. [34]

* Pilotwings 3 may be slated for a Nintendo Revolution release, after being cancelled for the GameCube.

* Konami may be in the process of developing two projects for Revolution.

* An ad circulating on the net states "A new experience is coming. The revolution starts March 2006". This could be a potential release date. Another rumor previously suggested a November 2006 release. Newer Information discredits the original rumour. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said the Revolution will not launch until its fiscal year ends, which is March 31st.

* Nintendo may utilize an internally developed proprietary visual distortion method to be applied to all of the games compatible with the Nintendo Revolution, including NES, SNES, N64, GameCube and Revolution titles. A blog does state that a technology called NURB is being developed by Nintendo, which could bring graphical capabilities up to the PS3's level. However, nothing from Nintendo has been officially announced. The same source claims that Cube Environment Mapping [35] will also be used. However, such ideas have been circulating since the Nintendo 64 was in development.

* Nintendo or a third-party company may develop an Ethernet port accessory compatible with the system's USB 2.0 ports.

* It has been rumored that the Nintendo Revolution will have the ability to download Nintendo DS video game demos that you will be able to receive on your Nintendo DS. [36][37]

* Nintendo has been strongly hinting that not every major feature with regards to the Nintendo Revolution, and specifically its controller, has been revealed, likening it to the way that they first only revealed the fact that the Nintendo DS would have two screens, and only later revealing that it had a touchscreen, microphone, and wireless capabilities. According to Nintendo of Europe's Jim Merrick, they "have not shared everything that there is to know about Revolution or its controller. (...) C'mon, we're Nintendo - we like to hold things until the very end!". [38]

* Third-party developers such as Activision, Atari, Capcom, Electronic Arts, Konami, Midway, Sega, and THQ have said positive comments about the Revolution and may be supporting the system, but have not announced specific games themselves.

* Some websites are claiming the Revolution will be released (meaning sold) on May 9, 2006 and Nintendo says it plans to release he Revolution with a 14 week worldwide span, meaning Europe may have to wait until 2007. Noteworthy is that on that date more information about the console will be released, although no mention of a full release had been made.

* The GPU is believed to be being developed by the same team formerly known as the Californian firm ArtX which developed the graphics chip of both the GameCube and its predecessor, the Nintendo 64, before being purchased by ATI

[qConfirmed Gamess

- Nintendo GameCube Games

- Downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

- Animal Crossing project

- Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

- Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

- Killing Day

- Mario Paint Revolution

- Metroid Prime 3

- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

- Possession

- Super Mario 128

- Super Smash Bros. Revolution

- The Darkness

- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 4

- Untitled Camelot RPG

- Untitled Donkey Kong project

- Untitled EA-Tiburon Title

- Untitled Electronic Arts Title(s)

- Untitled Free Radical/Ubisoft Action Game

- Untitled Grasshopper Manufacture Title

- Untitled Gearbox Software Project(s)

- Untitled Harmonix Project(s)

- Untitled Hideo Kojima Project

- Untitled Hiroshishi Matsuoka Project(s)

- Untitled KOEI Title

- Untitled Legend of Zelda project

- Untitled Nintendo EAD Project

- Untitled The Simpsons project(s)

- Untitled Soul Calibur project

- Untitled Ubisoft Montreal First Person Shooter

- Untitled Ubisoft Paris First Person Shooter

revo_8l.jpg

revo_6l.jpg

revo_3l.jpg

revo_5l.jpg

Controller (Video Demonstration):

ZJqABBSb8HsVAOU2y6j7bfhMrd1-mhgI.jpg

ygUrLWfBbkLmSZw4qpbZBkHWwhfjOrfc.jpg

Main Controller Features

* 3D Pointing. Sensors understand up, down, left, right, forward and backward.

* Tilt Sensitive. Controller can be rotated or rolled from side-to-side.

* Buttons Included. Has a trigger on its backside, face buttons, and a D-Pad.

* Multifunctional. Has an expansion port which can be used with different types of controller peripherals. Analog stick with two trigger buttons planned for left hand.

* Wireless. Totally wire-free. Currently there are no details on the max distance, source or power, or otherwise.

* Rumble Built-in. Included as a standard in all the controllers.

Example Usages (Games Are Not Revolution Games):

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064635339.jpg

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064636449.jpg

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064635792.jpg

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064635574.jpg

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064634792.jpg

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064634027.jpg

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064635027.jpg

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064634324.jpg

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064636074.jpg

revolution-controller-the-possibilities-20050915064634558.jpg

Also Works With The GameCube Controller:

gcn_controller.jpg

Wallpaper:

nintendorevolutionwallpaper9vc.th.jpg

Edited by jmole

VR headset, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Everything adds up. There will be a standard controller included too, but the vr headset will be the revolutionary selling point.

What nobody is interested in Revolution ? :angry: Thats a surprise :p

Nintendo Revolution concept logos leaked?

585927292[/snapback]

I think those logos are fake since the console is codenamed the Revolution and not the actual name of the console. I just think it would be sort of stupid to put time and money into a logo for the prototype name.

What caught my interest in their press release was this:

..low-power operation...

When it comes to consumers the majority of them could care less about power consumption for a console. I just thought it was weird for them to mention unless if this console is somehow going to be portable, which would be really strange.

Some possible revolution photos:

I can't believe someone made a concept art of the same design of how I thought revolution is going to be and work.

rev020ps.jpg

revo28vf.jpg

These are fake I suppose.

I can't believe someone made a concept art of the same design of how I thought revolution is going to be and work.

rev020ps.jpg

revo28vf.jpg

585927685[/snapback]

I do recall Nintendo saying that the Revolution wouldn't include a D-pad... Yes probably fake.. We'll know in 23 hours!

585927685[/snapback]

They would have to be fake because there is no way that controller could be backwards compatible with GameCube games.

They would have to be fake because there is no way that controller could be backwards compatible with GameCube games.

585927742[/snapback]

The solution to this I predict is that you will be able to still plug in your GC controller into revolution console.

The solution to this I predict is that you will be able to still plug in your GC controller into revolution console.

585927750[/snapback]

Oh zing good one, I never thought of that.

I see the Revolution will have wireless internet capabilities standard. I'm utterly surprised neither Sony nor MS caught onto this. How many people have an ethernet jack within spitting distance of their favorite TV? Really? To make gamers either rewire their network or buy a third party product to set up wireless access is absurd.

I see the Revolution will have wireless internet capabilities standard.  I'm utterly surprised neither Sony nor MS caught onto this.  How many people have an ethernet jack within spitting distance of their favorite TV?  Really?  To make gamers either rewire their network or buy a third party product to set up wireless access is absurd.

585927787[/snapback]

How is that absurd? The future is wireless...

How is that absurd? The future is wireless...

585927825[/snapback]

I said it's absurd not to support wireless connectivity standard.

I correct myself on the PS3 front. The specs thread says that PS3 will have the ability to connect to a wireless network. I suppose now someone will come by and tell me that the Xbox360 has wireless too :blush:

-bYtE,May 16 2005, 12:09]How is that absurd? The future is wireless...

585927825[/snapback]

I think he is saying paying extra to have wireless capabilities basically just sucks. It is like when MS made people buy the DVD playback kit. If you are going to pay $300 for the console they might as well include wireless capabilities instead of paying extra for an add-on.

I said it's absurd not to support wireless connectivity standard.

I correct myself on the PS3 front.  The specs thread says that PS3 will have the ability to connect to a wireless network.  I suppose now someone will come by and tell me that the Xbox360 has wireless too  :blush:

585927866[/snapback]

Sorry I missread your post. I take that back :)