[Definitive] Nintendo Wii Thread

No, 2 more!  I meant 9AM PST, sorry I live in Eastern time.  Damn time zones!

585932974[/snapback]

hehe np, you actually cut down my waiting time by 3 hours :p ;)

media25rr.jpg

media14dv.jpg

media4wi.jpg

Nintendo Revolution Unveiled

Nintendo's new console's design, online service revealed.

Just before Mario and friends kick off their pre-Electronic Entertainment Expo press conference, USA Today has revealed the first pictures and information on Nintendo's next-generation game console, Revolution.

Revolution appears to be the confirmed final title for the machine, as the console itself is branded with the name. The actual machine itself is tiny enough to be pretty versatile, as it can sit flat or stand vertically thanks to a silver, detachable stand.

Though technical specifications on the Revolution hardware are not yet available, Nintendo says their new console is only two or three times as powerful as the GameCube. "It's not all about having 'turbo power,' " Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan told USA Today. "It's about what you do with it."

Revolution will feature an online matchmaking service ala Xbox Live with downloadable content in the form of a library of archived games. From old school games like Donkey Kong to modern GameCube releases like Super Mario Sunshine, Nintendo says they'll all be available for download on Revolution, though a price, if there will be one, has yet to be determined.

Ease of development is what Nintendo claims separates their next-generation hardware from the competition. "They do not need to make major changes from the games they were designing," said analyst Richard Doherty of The Envisioneering Group. "They have better performance without having to do a lot of extra work."

Part of the philosophy driving Nintendo's decisions behind introducing the Nintendo DS and their Revolution research and development has been keeping the heart of gaming in tact, and that appears to be a central part of Revolution. "We've built Revolution around the concept of 'all-access gaming,'" said Kaplan. "We're about sticking to the soul of gaming."

Nintendo will reveal the full details on the Revolution later this morning. Stay tuned to 1UP.com for more.

Source

Oh wow, it pops out of the silver verticle stand thing. That is so cool, at least it will compliment the color of my other electronics on the shelf. That is pretty damn good looking.

It's simplistc, it's non-offensive, and gets the job done. It basically looks like an external harddrive. I like it.

It's simplistc, it's non-offensive, and gets the job done.  It basically looks like an external harddrive.  I like it.

585932996[/snapback]

Agreed.

In terms of looks:

Revolution >>>>> Xbox 360 >>>>>>>> PS3

Hm, 2 to 3 times the power of the Cube?

This kind of worries me as that means that it'll be difficult to port over Xbox 360 or PS3 games to the Rev =\. If anything that means that multiplatform games might only exist for the two powerful systems, leaving the Rev in the dust (unless it has an extensive enough library to compensate).

Looks cool though :)

The console itself looks the best out of the 3 I think. However Nintendo are really blowing it by not releasing a powerful enough console yet again. It seems like they have just given up trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft in terms of power and going for a "niche" market again. If Nintendo keeps going this way, I'm sad to say that they will be out of buisness soon. That said, we still haven't seen the specs and what is so "revolutionary" about it. I guess we will all find out in a couple of hours.

It sure is sexy, I was hoping for a design that stood out from the herd, but it clearly seems that time is over and done with, Nintendo are rolling with the times.

Now what about the controller? That'll be the coup de grace hopefully. I'm still going to buy one of these, looks great.

About the 2-3 times more powerful than GC, Nintendo did say that they don't care about Graphics so much, so I guess thats where they stand. I dunno it's not a good idea to make your system not as powerful as every other one, I just don't want Revolution to be next in line to PS3 when it's getting crappy ports of games handed down from Xbox like it did in this past generation, I still don't get why they didn't use GC's extra power first instead.

I don't really know about the design, looks a bit too plane to me, though I do love the blue light coming from the drive slot. The fact that it's not got the power of the other two worries me, I really don't want to see Nintendo mess up again. I was really hoping that there was some truth in the VR headset thing, is that definitely all out the window now?

So I am guessing that the console is offically going to be called the Revolution. I didn't notice this until someone mentioned on another forum, but the "O"s have been replaced with the DVD size optical disc and the mini-optical disc.

post-4044-1116340118.jpg

The console itself looks the best out of the 3 I think. However Nintendo are really blowing it by not releasing a powerful enough console yet again. It seems like they have just given up trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft in terms of power and going for a "niche" market again. If Nintendo keeps going this way, I'm sad to say that they will be out of buisness soon. That said, we still haven't seen the specs and what is so "revolutionary" about it. I guess we will all find out in a couple of hours.

585933046[/snapback]

Power has nothing to do with gameplay. Personally, I hate 20 minute cut-scenes. Let me play the damn game! :p

People said the GC was inferior also, and IMO it wasn't at all. Games still looked great and played great.

Stream of Press Conference will be on Nintendo.com :) and here :).

Also, it's interesting that it's slot loading and you have to stick GCN games in there still, I know it feels weird to stick mini DVDs into a slot loading drive. I wonder how Nintendo worked that out? Unless the GC slot is the one thats covered under the big blue slot.

Edited by Marduk

aye, also remember a very important factor: cost

if the Revolution only have say for example 1 PPC processor, itll be a hell of a lot cheaper to produce than the other 2, and therefore will have a lowe shelf price. 150 quid anyone?

Oh man I was just thinking, if what USA said today is true and you can download games from the library of Nintendo's older systems I could get rid of 4 consoles that are taking up alot of space. All 4 older consoles and the Revolution games in one box just bigger then the size of three stacked DVDs = GOLD.

585933046[/snapback]

Be out of business? :laugh:

If something goes horribly, horribly wrong, they can still develop. And they still have the GameBoy. Out of business is taking it a bit far, buddy.

the revolution logo (with the discs) suggest to me that the only thing "revolutionary" might be that it takes 12cm discs aswell as GC ones... please let there be something else that's unthinkably cool.

Well it's certainly the best looking of them all, I'm wondering if it's going to have wireless connectivity for other Revolutions too, save networking them when taking to friends. Could just be a case of plug in the telly and go which would be amazing.

With regards to the specs at the end of the day, Sony's 'claimed' specs for the PS2 trounced the Gamecube, but look at the proof, there was nothing on there that the GC couldn't handle, and now we are seeing it on the other foot when the PS2 has tried to port RE4. A game that I don't think I've seen anything better on any format in this generation of consoles. :yes:

Let's just wait and see what Nintendo say they have to offer. Can't wait to see the new controller too. Just got a feeling it's gonna be the most jaw-dropping of the displays. :woot: