[Definitive] Sony PS3 Thread

hardly, since sony don't really have the best of track records when it comes to telling truths, now, do they? :-)

In my opinion, they are as good at telling lies as Nintendo and Microsoft.

Nintendo doesn't outrighly lie a lot of the time as such, they simply word things very carefully. I.e. "There is no plans to show a new DS at E3 2006", which people thought meant there was no DS Lite, which was wrong :p

Nintendo doesn't outrighly lie a lot of the time as such, they simply word things very carefully. I.e. "There is no plans to show a new DS at E3 2006", which people thought meant there was no DS Lite, which was wrong :p

Agreed, I wouldn't call Nintendo liars. Microsoft is simply guilty of setting high goals that they may not reach in the time they'd like to, but they eventually deliver on their promises (Longhorn, Xbox 360 inital supply, etc). As for Sony, however, that's a different story... Emotion Engine anyone?

All they did was address the rumors as "pure speculation".

They did it with the DS Lite .. and now we have it. Hopefully it's the same case as TwilightPrincess using the Revolution controller. :D

In my opinion, they are as good at telling lies as Nintendo and Microsoft.

What specific lies did Microsoft tell about the 360? I'd really like to know, because I can't think of any.

The only 2 promises that I've seen Nintendo make so far that they haven't kept up on is Online Pictochat and the Homeland MMOG for the Gamecube. I'm beginning to think it's being moved to the Revolution. Although, I wouldn't really call Homeland a Lie, because they didn't really promise much. I don't even think it had a release date tbh. As for TP's delay, while some may say they lied about the November Launch, I don't think they intended at first to delay it. it's one of those things that happen to many developers. The biggest thing they've out rightly lied about to me in recent history is the Online Pictochat. They said it's gonna happen, but it hasn't.

What specific lies did Microsoft tell about the 360? I'd really like to know, because I can't think of any.

they only made some predictions about sales, and supplies. Supplies are always short at launch, and always will be, especially around holiday season. Microsoft showed games running, they said when it would be released, what would be released, and they delivered or everything as far as i'm concerned.

i sure hope sony can, because they're faultering more and more these days, and i wonder how much another big ****up will harm their once bulletproof image.

PSM mag reveals new PS3 details

posted 9:09am EST Mon Feb 06 2006 - submitted by Matthew

BLURB

The latest issue of PSM has a slew of new details relating to features that will be included in the forthcoming Playstation 3 console.

We all know that the machine will have a Blu-Ray drive in it, but apparently this isn't going to add much to the cost, since the CELL chip and supporting hardware can handle all the processing. Meanwhile, standalone Blu-Ray players will be more expensive, since they will need the hardware to handle playback that the PS3 has in place anyway.

A forthcoming online service will be called the Playstation Network, which will offer matchmaking and a ranking system. Sony also plans an iTunes-style store for music and film. The best part is the PSP tie-in feature, which allows you to transfer your downloaded digital media onto the handheld for playback. The PSP will also be capable of acting as a remote for playback on the PS3. Finally, the PS3 will also act as a digital video recorder (DVR), therefore replacing the need to buy a separate box such as a TiVo.

If the PSM article is correct, then Sony may have just gone and kicked Xbox Live into second place. Since the machine will act as a DVR and have an online store, it is clearly the only box you need under your TV. The tie-in with PSP will also add to its appeal, and probably increase sales of the handheld as well. The article also mentions that the PS3 will have regular firmware updates, meaning Sony is going for a similar approach to its PSP initiative and should make things a little more difficult for hackers.

For more, please see Eurogamer

its pretty dam good news...and i like the name for the PS3 online :)

MS might bring out music and such to LIVE but i mean I have my media center to my 360 and all i use it for is to act as a pvr and stream my movies from my computer to my tv. I dont listen to music cuz its kind of lame. And u cant just create an itunes style service and an xbox live type service out of no where and for the first time and to expect to get it right. Both apple and ms have years of experience through this and Sony is just pushing their propietary agenda further along.

If the PSM article is correct, then Sony may have just gone and kicked Xbox Live into second place.

That's very unbiased of Playstation Magazine.

Erhm.. NOT! :sleep:

might aswell sell my xbox 360 :D

Aren't you the guy who claims to already own an X360 but yet still to buy one? :huh:

As far as Sony "kicking Xbox Live into second place", they are a long way from doing so, and it's utter stupidty to even claim such a thing when the product isn't available yet to do so..

AFAIK MS also plan to use xbox live marketplace to allow music downloads and video downloads. So Sony aren't really offering or doing anything that hasn't already been discussed as far as Live goes.

And I don't see the big appeal myself with the compatibility of the PS3 and PSP. (just incase people accuse me of being a fanboy I'd like to point out I do own a PS2 and PSP, and will buy a PS3 in the future) but good luck trying to store all those wonderful HDBR videos from "Playstation Network" onto a lil 1GB MS DUO :rolleyes: . Until storage increases it's about as useful as X360's hard drive. Granted sizes will increase, costs are much higher for a data stick than that of a hard drive. At least when Microsoft charge ?70 you get a decent sized hard drive.

Glad to hear BR won't be as expensive if what PSM is true :))

Great news :) but doesn't Xbox 360 already have most of those features anyway? I'm pretty sure it has a Media Centre Extender built into it that allows it to record TV and other TiVo functions and of cause stream data from a connected PC?....But back to the PS3, I hope the bit about the Blu-Ray drive is true cause that would be fantastic :) I'm actually not sure if I'll even get a next-gen console now...I'm not getting an Xbox 360 cause AUSD$600+ is just too much (not to mention we are getting charged MORE then everyone else) and games costing AUSD$119.95 each is too much...I just don't get it...they delay the launch of Xbox 360 here by about 5 months and now they are asking us to pay MORE then the US/UK people paid :unsure: :wacko: ...well I'll be interested to see what Sony decide todo here (in AU).

EDIT: Well I kinda do get it, they are probally delaying it because they are having trouble supplying the US and UK because of the high demand and they are probally charging us more in an attempt to slow down the sales until they can supply enough units (then I'd assume they might lower the price)...but still considering how well Xbox 1 was accepted here, we are getting shoddy treatment for it.

Edited by Xerxes

plain lazy...if u read my other post u will c wat i meant..and i even posted a pic of my 360 :blink: and i really hope the PS3 will have all these features but i also want it to have good games too unlike the PSP :no:

rawhitsalt9aa.jpg

lol .. but so true. if the rumors are true, then you can count me in on the ps3. it sounds good, but lets see what the finished product looks like. as far as i'm concerned right now though, sony is pulling a nintendo and keeping it pretty dry.

Sony will showcase the PlayStation 3 (PS3) at the upcoming Taipei Game Show (TGS) 2006, which takes place between February 16-20. This will be a first Taipei showing for Sony’s new game console, prior to the official worldwide launch of the unit, although Sony has already shown the PS3 in the US and Japan.

Sony’s exhibit will occupy a total of 80 booths at the TGS show, including 20 booths allocated exclusively for the PS3, according to a February 9 report in the Chinese-language Commercial Times.

Source: http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060209A8050.html

"prior to the official worldwide launch of the unit"<<<could this mean something!? :huh:

I have to say, indianN00b, you perfectly fit the stereotype of the type of people that use the IGN and GameSpot boards - post the same stuff without searching, and believe everything they read (or pose things as a question "Could this mean something?" when they already believe it does mean something).

To answer your question, no it means absolutely nothing.