[Definitive] Sony PS3 Thread

Gamespot updated their News Article to include some specs of the PS3

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. It also confirmed the machine would be backwards compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a detachable 2.5 inch HDD.

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals--four up front and two in the back.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz. 

Edited by ItsOnlyMonday

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz, a detachable 2.5 inch HDD slot, six usb 2.0 ports, Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, a compact flash memory slot, Compact flash slot, 2 hdmi outputs, 1 av multi out, 1 SPDIF optical output, and 1-gigabit Ethernet built in port and seven bluetooth wireless controllers.

It's just been confirmed that the PS3 will have a detachable hard drive, six USB ports, a memory stick slot, and seven bluetooth wireless controllers.

Kaz Hirai has taken the stage, beginning his speech with "190 million PS2s sold. 2 billion software sales" Hirai then began speaking about PlayStation 3... It features the CELL processor as previously reported, and also features a Blu-Ray Disk drive, running at 6x. Backwards compatibility with both PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games has also just been confirmed. Hirai also stated that PlayStation 3 runs at twice the speed of Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 console is capable of reaching 10 Terraflops of processing information.

I wonder if by 2x the speed they mean 2x the actual processing power, or 2x the # of ghz or whatever... and are they speaking CPU or GPU? kinda vague for me... 10 teraflops is quite impressive though lol

just been confirmed that the PS3 will have a detachable hard drive, six USB ports, a memory stick slot, and seven bluetooth wireless controllers

7 wtf?

10 f'in teraflops...hell im buying it just to say "hey baby i roll on ten teraflops"

ill wait to belive it when i see it

585929622[/snapback]

GameSpot says they claimed 2 teraflops. I'll also believe THAT when I see it.

t's just been confirmed that the PS3 will have a detachable hard drive, six USB ports, a memory stick slot, and seven bluetooth wireless controllers.

Kaz Hirai has taken the stage, beginning his speech with "190 million PS2s sold. 2 billion software sales" Hirai then began speaking about PlayStation 3... It features the CELL processor as previously reported, and also features a Blu-Ray Disk drive, running at 6x. Backwards compatibility with both PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games has also just been confirmed. Hirai also stated that PlayStation 3 runs at twice the speed of Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 console is capable of reaching 10 Terraflops of processing information.

http://www.cgno.com/news_live.php?name=sony

*faints*!!!!!!!!!!

PlayStation 3's hardware has gotten a little more detailed. The main CELL processor included will run at 3.2GHz, and feature 7 SPEs. The nVidia GPU will run at 550MHz, and there will be two 256MB RAM sticks included, for a total of 512MB. PS3 will have robust multimedia support, including: video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video playback.

PlayStation 3's hardware has gotten a little more detailed. The main CELL processor included will run at 3.2GHz, and feature 7 SPEs. The nVidia GPU will run at 550MHz, and there will be two 256MB RAM sticks included, for a total of 512MB. PS3 will have robust multimedia support, including: video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video playback.

:ninja:

wow...I think my heart just stoped for a sec.....jezz crips....10 teraflops....that is freakin insane...that's like...faster than all of my computer at colleage put together..:laugh:

so thats pure cpu floating point? is that even going to effect the games that much? i thought in most games cpu was not the bottleneck...

Sounds too good to be true, Hopfully there wont be any issues Like The Ps2 with its problems of Not Reading Games After a Amount of time, and the psp with its dead pixes issues.

wow...how much is this freakin thing going to cost?...and how the HELL will the games look like?!?....man...I swear to god the Matrix will start within the next 100 years...>.<

Oh dear... Sony jumped right on the "fuzzy math" bandwagon.

2 TFLOPs, if you count non-IEEE compliant, single-precision FLOPS. If you do an apples to apples comparison the Xbox 360 will trounce it.

"Playstation 3... It does half the work, twice as fast!"

2.18 teraflops of performance, that is more like it.  10 teraflops must be a typo.  Still, 2.18 teraflops is incredible.

585929668[/snapback]

but several guys just confiremd 10 teraflops up top..^^...I don't think all of them made a typo...:/

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz, a detachable 2.5 inch HDD slot, six usb 2.0 ports, Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, a compact flash memory slot, Compact flash slot, 2 hdmi outputs, 1 av multi out, 1 SPDIF optical output, and 1-gigabit Ethernet built in port

2.18 teraflops sounds more like it and ties in with the twice as fast as Xbox 360 statement (360 = 1 teraflop). 10 teraflops sounded rather far fetched.

I think it will be the added multimedia features that mkae the most difference in the PS3 vs 360 race, as their specs are in actuality relatively similar.

Oh dear... Sony jumped right on the "fuzzy math" bandwagon.

2 TFLOPs, if you count non-IEEE compliant, single-precision FLOPS.  If you do an apples to apples comparison the Xbox 360 will trounce it.

"Playstation 3... It does half the work, twice as fast!"

585929673[/snapback]

lmao (Y)

actually...yeah..never mind...it is 2.18...if you go back and look at the chart some one posted, it says 218 right there....that do tie in with the twice as fast thing...still....2 teraflops is incredible...:/