[DEFINITIVE] Console of 2005/2006

What next gen. console are you getting?  

702 members have voted

1. 1. What next gen. console are you getting?

• X360
    • PS3
    • Revolution
    • Both, X360 and PS3
    • Both, X360 and Revolution
    • Both, PS3 and Revolution
    • None
    • Don't know yet
    • All 3 systems are coming home with me

zi0nx5:

Although for the most part a very sensible fairly unbiased responce I believe your opinion on the handheld is a bit skewed. Like what is commonly known the PSP has lost alot of steam, people just aren't buying it. The price range, lack of game library, I see PSP as being exactly what the gamegear was - better technology that never caught on.

I work at a call center with about 400 other computer nerds who are big into tech stuff like ipods, handheld gaming etc. etc. 1 person out of the 400 has a PSP. Probably around 2 dozen or so have gameboy advance/sp, and Probably half a dozen own DS'

Then my brother looks at his school, not one person owns a PSP there (that he knows of) but there's probably a couple handfuls of them that bring their DS to school regularly. That in itself is marketting at work. The kids will conform... they're not going to buy PSPs.

Sure I've seen some people on neowin praise it. But in reality, it simply costs too much, and by the time the price will come down, no one will care anyways. The PSP has lost.

EDIT: Also, I already know a couple people who are big into the small cool looking devices who want gameboy micros, so right there, I see a market for JUST the micro larger than the PSP.

EDIT2: sorry after rereading your post, I think I misread your opinion on the handheld market... NVM lol I'll keep my remarks up anyways...

</off topic rant> sorry :p

erich: it's coo. i personally haven't been too impressed with the DS. I've played it in-store (though just having played it in-store probably doesn't give me much credit to say anything but whatever). Maybe it's the games. I wasn't really feeling the control intuitivity in the Metroid Hunters demo but that's just one game. Also I find it hard to concentrate on two screens at a time. Sometimes when I'm playing it things are going on on the top screen and I'll have like a 1-3 second delay of realizing that I'm missing something (like in Warioware Touched). but anyway, this thread is about consoles so my bad for going off topic. I still stand on a "Don't Know" vote but I'm taking sides with either Nintendo and/or Sony on this one (I have no history whatsoever with Sony nor Microsoft either), but we still have yet to see...

Edited by zi0nx5

Revolution:

+Most classy

+Most mysterious

+most likely cheapest

+Most innovative

-least powerful

-most likely less games

-No hard drive (as of yet)

Xbox 360:

+Home media center

+released first

+changeable faceplates

+can connect to other devices like the iPod and possibly PSP?

+Included hard drive

-kind of ugly (IMO) in it's base color

-not as powerful as the PS3

-No real innovation, just upped the power

PS3:

+Most powerful

+Blu-Ray disks, now up to 100GB!

+tons of connectivity options: media cards, bluetooth, etc

+7 controllers!

+1080p, yes the p is important

+/-Okay styling, kind of looks like a wave

-Proprietary, proprietary, proprietary!!!! Sony Blu-Ray, Sony Memorysticks, Sony EVERYTHING!

-Hefty estimated price

-Hard-drive costs extra

All:

+HDTV Compatible (Assuming N will follow the trend if they haven't already)

+More powerful than predecessors

+Wireless controllers (Even the revolution)

-Most expensive group ever

I'd say the Xbox 360 is the best of them all. The PS2 was the least powerful of it's group but did the best, the 360 might do the same.

-Proprietary, proprietary, proprietary!!!! Sony Blu-Ray, Sony Memorysticks, Sony EVERYTHING!

All:

585949033[/snapback]

Good point on the proprietary thing with Sony.

Second point: this is what Miyamoto was talking about how Nintendo started the wireless controller thing and now everyone follows suit; but then again wireless is the way of the future so i guess it was inevitable for the next gen consoles to come with them out of the box. But given that info, of course the Revolution will be wirelessly controlled.... What should be in your parenthesis is "(Even the ps3/xbox 360)" :happy:

zi0nx5:

I work at a call center with about 400 other computer nerds who are big into tech stuff like ipods, handheld gaming etc. etc. 1 person out of the 400 has a PSP. Probably around 2 dozen or so have gameboy advance/sp, and Probably half a dozen own DS'

Then my brother looks at his school, not one person owns a PSP there (that he knows of) but there's probably a couple handfuls of them that bring their DS to school regularly. That in itself is marketting at work. The kids will conform... they're not going to buy PSPs.

Sure I've seen some people on neowin praise it. But in reality, it simply costs too much, and by the time the price will come down, no one will care anyways. The PSP has lost.

</off topic rant> sorry :p

585948918[/snapback]

It's totally reversed around here. When the DS came out, there were a few kids in school that had one, but outside of their social group (the ones heavily into tech/games) no one even knew what thing was outside of being a "toy".

My friends are casually into games but not really into tech. When the PSP came out, everyone knew what it was and a bunch of people, those heavily into video games/tech and those casually into them, had one. Everytime someone had one out it'd bring a crowd of people awing it, even from people who have absolutely no interest in games (just like the iPod). The DS simply wasn't "cool" enough.

NOTE: This isn't what I think, but what I've noticed. I'm impartial to either the DS or the PSP because I'm no longer interested in handheld games :p

Really Really Torn between Xbox360 and Revolution at the moment.

I want Nintendo to redeem themselves, and if they dont manage to do so with Revolution, then 360 it is

Revolution:

+Most classy

+Most mysterious

+most likely cheapest

+Most innovative

-least powerful

-most likely less games

-No hard drive (as of yet)

Xbox 360:

+Home media center

+released first

+changeable faceplates

+can connect to other devices like the iPod and possibly PSP?

+Included hard drive

-kind of ugly (IMO) in it's base color

-not as powerful as the PS3

PS3:

+Most powerful

+Blu-Ray disks, now up to 100GB!

+tons of connectivity options: media cards, bluetooth, etc

+7 controllers!

+1080p, yes the p is important

+/-Okay styling, kind of looks like a wave

-Hefty estimated price

-Hard-drive costs extra

All:

+HDTV Compatible (Assuming N will follow the trend if they haven't already)

+More powerful than predecessors

-Most expensive group ever

I'd say the Xbox 360 is the best of them all. The PS2 was the least powerful of it's group but did the best, the 360 might do the same.

585949033[/snapback]

Apparently XBox360 is the most powerful console, but you forgot to ad a positive for PS3: probbly will get most support and games from developers.

Apparently XBox360 is the most powerful console, but you forgot to ad a positive for PS3: probbly will get most support and games from developers.

585952883[/snapback]

That remains to be seen; a lot of people think Microsoft will be getting far more developer support this time around. I mean, just look at what's going on; they already got Squaresoft...

I currently have a PS2 and GameCube, although haven't played my GC in months, and I voted for PS3 and Revolution.

I don't think the design of PS3 is the best, especially the controller, but it is a powerful machine that offers a lot of good games due to a lot of developers supporting Sony.

I will only get a Revolution if the Revolutionary feature is as good as they are making it out to be, by keeping it secret etc. and if it is very cheap as it should be as it is not as powerful.

If the Revolution doesn't suit me, I probably won't buy an Xbox 360 unless that is also fairly cheap (although it wont be as cheap as I expect Revolution to be) and i don't want you all to have a go at me for saying this, but i feel that at the moment the only exclusive games worth buying on Xbox is Halo/Halo 2, and i think that the main game for 360 will be Halo 3.

As far as I know the PS3 has the most developers backing it up.

A fact to add for the PS3 developers talk. With the extension of all the peripheral (Eyetoy/IPCam/Beatmania stations/Dance Pads/Microphones.. the list goes on...), this is sure to invoke the "Interactive Play" developers in both hardware and software (Konami/Red Octane... [There are more but I can't remember them]). I'm not sure about the other systems but the PS3 just call out to those companies with that aim of gameplay.

Theres also many of those game developers that supply anime based gameplay games like Bandai, Square Enix, Banpresto, Namco, etc... It's sure it will do the best in Asia (Especially in Japan).

Proven(?) that the Xbox 360 is(?) more powerful than the PS3, I'm sure most would agree that the PS3 is the top for the most advanced technologies though.

With the success of PS2 for world-wide sales, It's safe to say that the PS3 will do just as well world-wide.

It's fairly obvious that the PS3 will be my first buy, Xbox 360 after mainly cuz stupid Tecmo bad-mouthed Sony so I won't be seeing any Team Ninja games anytime soon on PS3 :no:

Edited by Ryvis

I thought SquareSoft was only making FFXI for the xbox360? If that is so, they don't have SS's huge lineup of games (I'm hoping they do, just don't make it exclusive -.-).

The best console I feel would be the XBOX 360 all the way.

They will be having a free version of xbox live and the

processing power behind the graphics will be unparalleled.

All games are required to have surround sound and HDTV

level resolution. I just can't wait, mine is already preordered.

For me it will be the PS3 i don't really care people saying but you can see the spots on a guys face on the xbox 360 to those people i say shut up, however i will get the xbox 360 but for me i always prefer playstation to xboxes, because i use my console for gaming and i see the xbox as a middle man between consoles and PCs, but i will probably end up getting them all in due time but the ps3 will be first.

I thought SquareSoft was only making FFXI for the xbox360? If that is so, they don't have SS's huge lineup of games (I'm hoping they do, just don't make it exclusive -.-).

585956115[/snapback]

FFXII was one of the game demos during the PS3 presentation.

I'm really loving watching this computer power arms race thats going down between all the video game makers. Its pretty cool. Very interested to see who comes out on top performance wise, and who come out on top in the market.

Vote in my sig guys ;)

I choose x360 and NRevolution

585957231[/snapback]

lol sumeet,i wanted to vote for xbox360,but it says i already voted for PS3 lol

lol sumeet,i wanted to vote for xbox360,but it says i already voted for PS3 lol

585961412[/snapback]

:s lol try again in a few days maybe it'll work :)