6.8Ghz Laptop

It certainly would have cost a fortune just to obtain some of those items they have listed. How is it possible to get almost 2 terrabytes of data onto a laptop, being that sleek.. seems like a hoax to me even with costs to enter the CES.

586487340[/snapback]

I think their patents explain how that is possible, not that I can understand them, but it's using a completely different kind of storage than hard-drives.

the price... oh god what will the price be... but this is gonna outsell everything if its affordable... better not be like $10,000 LOL

awesome technology.. i see we just go from 1.1, 1.2, 1.3... 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 6.8Ghz...

nice pattern jump :p i'd love to use this bad boy

Think about it, if a game aint coded for it then it wont use it, but wat about when it is, think about that.

so how come the xbox 360 has 3 cores, for the sake, nah i dont think so, more cores is better, miles better, the technology needs catering for thats all.

586487339[/snapback]

The xbox 360 has 3 cores because the games for the xbox 360 will be programmed to run on three cores. More than one processing core is a relatively new fad in the computer industry. Thus most games were programmed to run a single thread. Im sure in the near future we will see most of our popular games reprogrammed to be multi-threaded(such as the unreale 3ngine), however it may be a long transition (same with win32-winfx, 32bit-64bit, etc).

So idealy, when most of our games in the future are multi-threaded, then yes it would be better to run the minmum amount of cores/processors, however since almost all of our current games are still single-threaded, and most will remain that way for a while, more-cores will not always mean better performance than faster core frequency for gaming.

I can easily believe a 6.8GHz CPU. I can *barely* believe a 6.8GHz CPU in such a dense heat environment. I can NOT believe a System Properties window that says 1TB RAM, on an OS that had a 4GB on a 32 bit platform or 128GB on a 64 bit platform RAM limitation last time I checked...

EDIT:

Here is some really big text to make my comment stand out. Windows XP would not run 1TB of RAM. It's FAKE.

586486612[/snapback]

the techo is real. there will be minimum heat for optical based system. the techo of electron traveling via metal is already 400 years. its now where techo change. even intel and amd is working on it. AND STILL WORKING on it. but this kinda fake for this yea.

Edited by sufikasih

the price... oh god what will the price be... but this is gonna outsell everything if its affordable... better not be like $10,000 LOL

586487398[/snapback]

According to the CES website the expected selling price for the RAM is $6000 and $5000 for the storage. So it will definitely be over $11,000

But if this manages to become mainstream technology the price will surly drop dramatically

omg chill with the ghz the thermal rating on the chip will be in the 1000's of TDP, not to mention all the cooling u'd need.

a dual core pentium M running at 3.0Ghz a core would be faster than any dual core chip available, require less power, produce less heat and be the fastest gaming chip around.

more cores would be better than ghz imo, the ghz gets ppl interested tho.

586487288[/snapback]

If you had been looking what they claim - processor technology is very different from what Intel, AMD, IBM or others do. magnet-optical whatever. And cannot talk about cores here.

I bet that processor doesnt need much cooling at all.

I belive this is not fake, and is very much homebrew stuff. If they get all the patents we may not see the benefits any time soon - corporations like Intel -

1. dont want to see this happen at all and use whatever strategies

2. pay some $ for patent and start transition from manufacturing technology they have already invested in so much

3. these guys(atomchip) dont get proper investments or bigtime buyers and keep layng low

and so on

While I believe this could be true, my friend says when he did an image contrast test on the laptop picture, the LCD's contrast did not differ at all or go along with the contrast difference of the case reflections. Even if the screenshot is fake though, and they just edited it into a laptop, it doesn't mean that it isn't possible. I personally hope it's not fake and they demo it at CES.

and what? I already answered his question.. please read everything before posting

586487512[/snapback]

So you did. My bad.

no those are not english format... 6,800 In ENGLISH format is 6.800 some languages use commas where we use decimals

586487535[/snapback]

3 people have already pointed this out, please read everything before posting ;)

Edited by phoe*nix

WOW First time I post a news topic.

I have created a MONSTER!!!

I think that this is real, but like all kick ace technology it won't get to the masses in 3-4 years.

I can easily believe a 6.8GHz CPU. I can *barely* believe a 6.8GHz CPU in such a dense heat environment. I can NOT believe a System Properties window that says 1TB RAM, on an OS that had a 4GB on a 32 bit platform or 128GB on a 64 bit platform RAM limitation last time I checked...

EDIT:

Here is some really big text to make my comment stand out. Windows XP would not run 1TB of RAM. It's FAKE.

586486612[/snapback]

Ever heard of 64Bit?

Ever heard of 64Bit?

586487958[/snapback]

Yes, he says in his post that the limitation for 64 bit is 128gb last time he checked.

all these newbie talking is confusing me.

is it the ram, cpu speed or the hard drive? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

it ought to be fake. oh well wasted 1 min of my life :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

Ever heard of 64Bit?

586487958[/snapback]

That's Windows XP SP2 (version 2002, 32bits), max RAM for 32bits is 4GB (nothing more)

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page4.html

it's a big fake

on the hard drive properties, there is a missin hard disk icon

what does mean that word in russian at the end?

Edited by Kalphegor

That screenshot is from a 32-bit version of XP (There is no 64-bit version of NT 5.1).

Beyond that dead giveaway, there are others:

1) The System Properties screenshot has the hard-coded "Computer:" text removed.

2) The system is not running Physical Address Extension and thus cannot support greater than 4GB of memory. Although, it probably IS running PAE, since SP2 enables it by default, but they blocked that out when they edited the screenshot (very poorly).

So yeah, it's very, very fake.