Apple Event - 19th Oct

I just got a powerbook at hte beggining of this semester, so its around 2 months old, the biggest thing I  envy on the new powerbooks is hte 5 hour battery life, my 2.5 hours is great and i have it on 'max performance', but I'd kill for 5 hours, however ill most likely just pick up a 2nd battery, according to apple if the computer is asleep you can swap batteries without turning it off.

586695632[/snapback]

You won't get 5 hours in any of the new PowerBooks with your processor set to "Highest". You can kill whoever you want for 5 hours, but you won't get it with a CPU on highest and a display on full brightness.

Oh I knew about it, but I was hoping they would atleast wait a month or two so I wouldnt feel so bad lol. But its ok, I got mine for 1300 :D

586695872[/snapback]

Good. Now go to crucial.com and pick up another 512MB stick of RAM and you'll be good until the Intel-powered Macs come out next year (Y)

I'm gonna go for the 12" I think. I borrowed one a while ago to try out the size / weight in my bag (I'll be taking it too and from uni every day) and it worked out great. PLUS with educational discount, it's only something like ?950!

Think I should get it?;))

I just got a powerbook at hte beggining of this semester, so its around 2 months old, the biggest thing I  envy on the new powerbooks is hte 5 hour battery life, my 2.5 hours is great and i have it on 'max performance', but I'd kill for 5 hours, however ill most likely just pick up a 2nd battery, according to apple if the computer is asleep you can swap batteries without turning it off.

586695632[/snapback]

Yeah the improved battery life is great, I think they incorporated it into the new ibooks a couple months ago because I can get 5 hours and 30 minutes of general activity on my ibook.

love the updated line of pbs and powermacs. im a bit disappointed though cause 10.4.3 wasnt announced. thought i read somewhere they 'had' to release it anyway with the new products to ensure driver compability or something.

anyway, i guess well just be waiting a bit longer.

mmike

Well the Powermacs are not out yet till November so they could still launch 10.4.3 or they could just do what they did with the updated Mac Mini's - the new Mac Mini's have a different build of Tiger only about 5 builds higher then the retail Tiger 10.4.2, they could do the same thing with the Powermacs.

I thought it was weird that none of the announcements were on the front page of Neowin...

Clearly I'm buying the 20" iMac now, I'm gonna wait and check what Aperture runs like on it. Unfortunately for the iMac, I wanted 2GB of RAM which isn't possible in the new model. I either settle for 1.5GB (about ?70 upgrade) or jump to 2.5GB (?600), clearly I'm gonna have to go for the 1.5GB option. Kind of sucks you can't have a single 1GB stick installed by default. The videos of Aperture really appealed to me, they look fantastic:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/quicktours/

the addition of Front Row as well is fantastic.

The Powermacs and Powerbooks just don't appeal to me, the bumps on the PBs were pretty poor. The Powermacs seem pretty cool, but for the value for money aspect it seems the iMac is a bargain. Front Row, remote control, airport, BT, superdrive, 2.1GHz G5, 20" screen; all seems good to me.

Will be nice to have you back as a Mac user Dazzla.

I have to agree that, value for money wise, the new iMac G5 20" is just the tops. I love mine, I have a Rev. B model and I would really love to be able to use Front Row on it.

As for the updates from yesterday I wasn't really that interested in the PowerBook, but it's nice to see the PowerMac get some nice upgrades. Hopefully, fingers crossed my next Mac will be a PowerMac in a couple of years when I have my business set up.

Dazzla if you do a lot of RAW check out http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/PROSoftware.aspx At the moment it's pretty commonly used in the photo industry. It's pretty nice, I've not explored that much of it yet, but Aperture looks far better.

586699688[/snapback]

Yeah, that does look pretty nice, I'll give it a try on Windows. The Aperture videos just blew me away though, looks fantastic (if a tad overpriced).

I'm not against getting the new Powermac either, it does look quite tasty, I was thinking of the Dual 2.3 and a 23" ACD but that's like twice the price of the iMac, is it really twice as good? I'm losing some cool stuff like the small form factor, Front Row etc, at the same time I'm gaining a bit of speed. Who knows, I'm gonna mull over it for a bit and see :D

gawd i hate apple but then i cant complain i got my powermac darn cheap :) its still an awesome computer like ..just not the most awesome haha :p the 8 gig of ram would surely give me a bigger e penis

Yeah, that does look pretty nice, I'll give it a try on Windows. The Aperture videos just blew me away though, looks fantastic (if a tad overpriced).

I'm not against getting the new Powermac either, it does look quite tasty, I was thinking of the Dual 2.3 and a 23" ACD but that's like twice the price of the iMac, is it really twice as good? I'm losing some cool stuff like the small form factor, Front Row etc, at the same time I'm gaining a bit of speed. Who knows, I'm gonna mull over it for a bit and see :D

586699850[/snapback]

Damn your truly amazing! :rofl:

What's wrong with your Acer laptop! :laugh: I think you should get the PowerMac, you've already had an iMac, you like change don't you? :p

He got a used one from ebay so he has no chance.

586699856[/snapback]

He is doomed with the previous revision, sucks :laugh:

Radish?

I wonder how the new 2.3Ghz model would perform in comparison to my 1st gen Dual 2.0GHz machine...

Am I missing something?  I think they just came out...

586701037[/snapback]

On the 19th, please search before posting. Since something this big is normally posted straight away :)