February CTP Build 5308.17

Wow. Got a new announcement for you kids:

Announcements

Downloads Not Available Due to Site Maintenance

Downloads from MSDN Subscriber Downloads are currently not available due to site maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience, and will restore full download functionality as soon as possible.

Taken right off the MSDN announcements.

Wow. Got a new announcement for you kids:

Taken right off the MSDN announcements.

thanks for the update, my download is still not going - only 0.5MB :) grrrr... oh well, at least i know why.

My colleague is getting it through "other means" and it looks like he will have it before me. This sucks.

problem is im now thinking "oh well, i only need the iso...... i am licenced as a gold partner...... i have a valid cdkey......."

Anyone else have to wait about 1 minute for a folder to open or even change folders?

Seems like there's a serious windows explorer bug :(

did you turn off some services you werent supposed to???? ;)

if you turned them off, turn them back on and it will speed back up for ya

I wouldn't expect to see a boot logo beyond 16 colors because the drivers responsible for advanced display modes are not intialized when the boot logo is displayed. Would certainly be cool though.

The fact that this is 2006 and computers still default to 640 x 480 x 4, the same as 20 years ago, is quite pathetic. Maybe we could take a gigantic leap and try to boot in 800 x 600 x 16?

(This is why the legacy BIOS stuff needs to be trashed, SOON, like in Apple's Intel gear.)

The fact that this is 2006 and computers still default to 640 x 480 x 4, the same as 20 years ago, is quite pathetic. Maybe we could take a gigantic leap and try to boot in 800 x 600 x 16?

(This is why the legacy BIOS stuff needs to be trashed, SOON, like in Apple's Intel gear.)

For me both the installation and first boot were at 800x600. Vista will support EFI so you're free to get a MacBook Pro or new iMac when it comes out.

FYI the install size is about 7GB, it's workin quite well. a lot faster and smoother, just the damn crappy ATI drivers... :angry:

The whole ISO is 2.7GB. I assume you got a trojan Windows Vista?...

The whole ISO is 2.7GB. I assume you got a trojan Windows Vista?...

Mines more like 8GB. The ISO contains a compressed image file - wim files. XP installs nearly 2GB from a normal CD.

Well i finally got around to installing this build, took me exactly 33minutes. That was on a athlon xp 2600+, 1g of ram, x800xl... Only things that i've notice really bad about it is just how sluggish things were, im thinking its just my processor and motherboard, but compared to my athlon 64 (currently blown) its about a 2 on the scale of performance vs my amd 64 was a 7.. The drivers are great and everything, but they pulled my creative sound blaster audigy ls for some reason, in 5270 I had native support. Also if microsoft is gonna be trippin on this favoring ATI trip of theres, they might as well clean there drivers up a bit or just get the control panel supplied by ati and just incorprate it into the install.

Now to the good things... The boot time for this os actually amazed me this time, it was about 3s faster and does a couple additional things in the login that im not sure of yet. The remaining features was a good thing to see, I like what microsoft decided to do with side bar, instead of having it like they had in the old alpha builds. The start menu flowed a lot better in this build, and it also looks like they added a fade effect to the icons now. Another note that I caught, maybe it was in 5270, but when you copy a file over, theres a actual animation above were its copying information is. Also, they fixed a few bugs with in the wmp 11 and mce which is a nice change.

compared to my athlon 64 (currently blown) its about a 2 on the scale of performance vs my amd 64 was a 7.

Woah, what spec was that? Must've been an FX-60 or something? My X2 4400+ at 2.66GHz with 2GB of RAM and a 7800 GTX only scores a 5. The CPU alone scores 5.9 I think.

Why do you people even post crap like this? :no:

You have to know a mod is going to b**ch slap you for saying stuff like that.... I just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Good question; and these same people are the ones who spend hours cracking the activation as well.

If we want to know who to blame for the rise of activation, its little creeps who can't be bothered getting off their duffer, getting a job, saving up and paying for the damn software.

Yeah, was very surprised by the nice welcome animation :)

I wouldn't expect to see a boot logo beyond 16 colors because the drivers responsible for advanced display modes are not intialized when the boot logo is displayed. Would certainly be cool though.

The interface is alright, the glass is a very nice effect but the colors used for the gradients look too pastel and light... not enough hard edges and definition. The earlier builds had richer colors that looked very professional... everything in Vista is light blue/light green. I'm sure we can replace those colors via visual styles... hopefully.

I also loved the fake aero-style Windows during the installation.

Just a small cretique, but my understanding was that Microsoft had pushed back the display driver initialisation as to allow higher resolution start ups etc. Maybe that'll be coming in a future build? what ever the case, I think the greater issue, when it comes to drivers is this - improve the stability; either make the API so rediculously easy that it would take a moron to stuff it up, or simply push it out to user space.

As for stability with my current machine, Windows XP, yet to have a single BSOD yet - latest and greatest WHQL certified drivers from ATI, patched with all the latest patches for my applications and Windows, and everything seems to be ok.

Mines more like 8GB. The ISO contains a compressed image file - wim files. XP installs nearly 2GB from a normal CD.

The image file is a mini-root that dumps itself into memory, loads and jumps straight into a gui rather than the old routine of having to install the base operating system, running the setup and going from there; its now one step installation rather than rebooting and so forth; it'll make installation for first timers that wee bit easier.

:(im so frustrated right now.. finaly ive got my own copy n happy as i was tryin to install.. but no. first of all i tried to upgrade. but it wont work, stops at the "compatibility checks" n just search n search n nothing happens.. then i tried to make a clean installation but it ses "unable to determine the size of the installation image, please verify that image is still accesible and try again" so wtf? whats wrong? its rly weird. hope someone can help me with this so i can try this thing. :pinch:

sounds like you have a corrupted installation?

Anyway. I managed to install Vista. It was a pain from the start.

I thought that my laptop was a 64 bit, considering the AMD Turion. I was quite wrong. When I tried upgrading first, it kept saying "Invalid 32 bit application" so I burned it using a different burn program, still same thing. So I figured 64 bit is a no go, and went to 32 bit. It was fine. The best thing about the installation is that I did the upgrade from MCE 2005, and it worked VERY well, I had one driver compatibility issue, but it's no big deal. The installation took up to 2 hours to complete. That's probably the most disappointing part, other than that, it went pretty good.

Right now, I'm running Vista 5308, a lot of program compatability issue, so I had to cut down onalmost half the start up, and then I did the rating check, and got a 2.0. I'll point the SS on that in the ratings thread.

"Unable to determine the size of the installation image. Please verify that image is still accessible and try again."

I get the same thing. I'm going to try to burn it again on a slower setting and see if it helps.

yeah - I have only 0.5MB left on the download and it stopped :angry:

I'm feeling like they are just taunting me now ;)

still waiting....

still......

grrr...

Click the resume button. Works for me.