Intel iMac running XP!

haha ye simon, where did the other thread go?

I merged it with this one, figured one will do the job after the subtle hints ;)

I'm so happy, he better not be faking me out :cry:

haha ye simon, where did the other thread go?

The two threads seem to have been merged...

I'm so happy, he better not be faking me out :cry:

Given the recent rash of fakes, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out this is yet another hoax.

This guy really needs to make a video if he's actually got it running now. Or better yet just take it to who is running the contest for them to see for themselves if he's paranid about others knowing how he did it.

Lack of video is the only thing keeping me from believing it's real. Unless something on-screen at startup shows how it's done and he doesn't want others to see it.

And yeah, it's it's real, he needs to learn how to take a decent picture of it

Just calm down everyone. There is WAY too much money on the line for much more than we are seeing now. Hell, if it were me I wouldn't even give you a damn screenshot until I had it working 100% and had recieved my money. We have already discussed that this is a camera phone, hence the bad clarity. Continuing to whine about the picture isn't going to change anything. We just have to wait patiently to see if it ends up being true.

I just feel this is fake. His photos are way too blurry for someone who should be excited to show his results to the bunch of people who are eagerly waiting for this to happen. And what's that black thing in front of the monitor to the right? It seems to be there in all the pics, can't he get more space for a nice imac? :/

Complete garbage! UNIX (Not Unix) has evolved quite nicely to support threading, take a look at Solaris please. Portability, look at NetBSD, this flavor of UNIX supports far more architectures than Windows and is allot more portable. Which came first, GNU/Linux or Windows x64 for EMT64 and AMD64 based CPUs? And of course UNIX sopports "multiple side-by-side APIs", by design in fact, ever wondered why you can run GNOME & KDE on the same machine?

So you've pointed at 3 radically different flavors of Unix. But threading in Linux and BSD was bolted on very recently. The architecture wasn't designed for it. NetBSD is an extremely specialized case. It's highly secure, and highly useless.

There's a difference between being portable and "supporting more platforms." The HAL -> Microkernel -> Executive -> API Subsystem architecture is vastly more flexible than anyone offered in Unix-land. And it was built from the ground-up for threading. Not twisted and bent to have pseudo-support for it like Linux/BSD/OS X.

For 64-bit, I'm still not aware of any x64 Linux distribution that comes even close to comparing with Windows x64.

Unix does NOT support side-by-side system APIs. KDE and Gnome are both applications. They're both linked against the same underlying system API. Windows NT, on the other hand, was architected with an abstraction between the undocumented NT Native API and the expose system APIs. There are 3 that are supported - Win32, OS/2, and POSIX/Unix/SUA.

It shoudn't be a surprise that NT is more advanced. It's newer than any *nix architecture (most of which build on designs from the 70s), and developed by some of the leading architects from Unix and VMS worlds.

It doesn't and it's way off topic, but someone brought it up. Guys, let's keep this discussion on topic. It doesn't matter what you prefer more, as long as you're happy with it. Argue in PM if you must :p

Since this is a competition what is the prize a lot of money right? I'd laugh if right at the end of it for some crazy reason apple or microsoft release a way to do it and it was something simple the whole time :-P

Since this is a competition what is the prize a lot of money right? I'd laugh if right at the end of it for some crazy reason apple or microsoft release a way to do it and it was something simple the whole time :-P

I thought it would be really funny if someone at Apple saw how much it was worth and said screw it and quit and leaked the info for the prize money haha. It wouldn't happen, but it's funny to think anyway.

Either way, if he really did get XP to boot and run then that is a huge step forward, and I think that if this guuy could do that, then making it dual boot won't be as hard.

If all of this is real, why can't he take a pic that isn't fuzzy as hell? It isn't hard. It wouldn't take much in terms of screenshots of device manager and all to eliminate doubt as well.

What's harder to fake?

A clean screenshot of device manager, or a live photograph that may not be perfectly in focus?

As a 7 year veteran of photoshop, I can tell you the latter is much harder to fake. I can whip up a screenshot of device manager saying my PC has 231 terabytes of RAM and runs on a 'YoMamma' processor at 3.8 petahertz. However, faking a slightly out-of-focus photograph of XP running on an iMac isn't as simple. You have to take a screenshot of XP, blur it to match the photograph exactly, match up the lighting conditions, glare, shadows, etc., and then paste it into the photo of the iMac.

Frankly, the photos look legit to me.

http://windowsxp.onmac.net/The%20Contest.html

Edit: I just realised the competition insists on dual booting - that means it's going to be even longer! No! :(

im pretty sure he's got it dual booting, he did say he was "done" in the forum for the contest

What's harder to fake?

A clean screenshot of device manager, or a live photograph that may not be perfectly in focus?

As a 7 year veteran of photoshop, I can tell you the latter is much harder to fake. I can whip up a screenshot of device manager saying my PC has 231 terabytes of RAM and runs on a 'YoMamma' processor at 3.8 petahertz. However, faking a slightly out-of-focus photograph of XP running on an iMac isn't as simple. You have to take a screenshot of XP, blur it to match the photograph exactly, match up the lighting conditions, glare, shadows, etc., and then paste it into the photo of the iMac.

Frankly, the photos look legit to me.

yea blurry is WAY harder to fake than a really crisp picture

Assuming this is legit...

A big question to me is then whether this will be made open source or not for adoption to e.g. Vista.

I wouldn't like this development would stop if he'd win, and I wouldn't like this to depend overly on just one developer's motivation. :-/

edit: ah, nice, saw this from their forums:

Be patient, man. Don't expect him to share anything (VGA was a huge hurdle according to narf), and as he says, he's not giving that piece of the puzzle away before the contest is over. Once it's over, I'm sure you'll be able to use whatever pieces he has to try to get Vista booting-- just be patient and wait till he and his team are finished :)