Vista Build 5342 Released - Official Topic

No, they're not. I know a lot of people that use Telewest blueyonder and only one connects via. USB.

Nearly all UK Cable Modems have a usb port as well as ethernet though :p

The broadband modems that SBCYahoo! and Comcast give out here in the US are USB, with ethernet as well and they encourage users to use USB

Comcast doesn't do DSL. They do USB for Ethernet, however (because lots of folks NEVER go inside their computers). My feelings about USB for Ethernet can be summed up thusly:

"Real computer users use real NICs."

Better driver support with Windows Update, Some of the XP drivers works fine so far

post-121126-1143296883_thumb.jpg

New gadgets

post-121126-1143297162_thumb.jpg

New tool...

post-121126-1143297371_thumb.jpg

New game...

post-121126-1143297582_thumb.jpg

Well, so far nothing revolutionary in 5342 but I guess that's what to be expected. Incremental improvements in things such as the minimize/maximize animation; minimized windows appears out of the taskbar at an angle and zoom up to front & center, seems smoother and a bit more prounounced than before. When logging in, MS is still attempting to fade out the login screen and fade in to the desktop. But at this point, the desktop still flashes to the point of destroying the intended effect. I'm sure it will improve. A few new gadgets there however I had no luck in specifying a folder location for the picture viewer gadget. Anyone else have this issue? I installed Office 12 on 5342 and so far seems to have taken a step backward in stability. Outlook in particular crashes regularly when specifying previews to the right of the message pane using an Exchange 2003 profile and MSN connector. O12 on 5308 in similar usage scenarios seemed better behaved. The large memory footprint is still there, that shouldn't be too surprising at this stage either. This version of media player includes more sample media content with ratings and such pre-applied. Looking nice. The upside-down animated "V" is more prevalent in this build as well, an example being the Welcome Center. Some lower res sample pictures are available in User/Public/Public Pictures and lots of "placeholder" jpegs abound. There's also more sample video media. Aero-glass is still identical to previous builds. When using Flip-3D, the blank desktop appears in the 3d view of windows now, I don't remember seeing that before but I could be wrong. I didn't notice any difference in backgrounds or screensavers. The ten minute hard drive grind fest is gone when first logging in when in previous builds Defrag and indexing commenced. Strangely, as in 5308 the "Reliability Monitor" is gone as a choice in the Computer Management MMC. You need to launch mmc.exe and add it as a snap-in. The defrag console is also gone from the Computer Management MMC. Overall, 5308 is 95% of what 5342 is. It's not a must have upgrade unless there's enhanced driver support for a particular piece of hardware. I'm running a single Dell D810 and everything worked as in previous builds, so I can't comment on increased HW support/drivers. Anyway, sorry for the rambling post, but hope this is helpful to those wondering about 5342.

@daniel_rh

Is that snip thingy a new screenshot mode?

Yep! :) It looks like a tool for screenshots

(Freeform screenshot with sniptool)

post-121126-1143298198_thumb.jpg

I can't believe it is not showing up on Connect for me! I am in a TAP program for Vista, and am running Build 5308 now, but 5342 STILL has not shown up. :angry: Grrrrr.

Any other Connect users still not seeing it? I've got a DX9 laptop (Radeon 9600 Mobility) that should run "real glass" if it is in fact in this build, but since it hasn't shown up I cannot check it out!

<Jack Bauer>DAMMIT!!</Jack Bauer>

It's not showing up on Connect for me either and I'm on the TAP. I have a link from the main Vista page:

New 3-24-06 - Click here for X86 and here for X64 to download the newest build v.5342 and click here to request new keys.

But when I click on either X86 or X64, it brings me to another page which says "Error: An object that you requested, or that was needed to process your request could not be found." I've tried froma different PC and am still having the same problem.

It's also not showing up in the downloads. Anyone else having this problem? Is 5342 showing up in the downloads for the ones who do see it?

Well, so far nothing revolutionary in 5342 but I guess that's what to be expected. Incremental improvements in things such as the minimize/maximize animation; minimized windows appears out of the taskbar at an angle and zoom up to front & center, seems smoother and a bit more prounounced than before. When logging in, MS is still attempting to fade out the login screen and fade in to the desktop. But at this point, the desktop still flashes to the point of destroying the intended effect. I'm sure it will improve. A few new gadgets there however I had no luck in specifying a folder location for the picture viewer gadget. Anyone else have this issue? I installed Office 12 on 5342 and so far seems to have taken a step backward in stability. Outlook in particular crashes regularly when specifying previews to the right of the message pane using an Exchange 2003 profile and MSN connector. O12 on 5308 in similar usage scenarios seemed better behaved. The large memory footprint is still there, that shouldn't be too surprising at this stage either. This version of media player includes more sample media content with ratings and such pre-applied. Looking nice. The upside-down animated "V" is more prevalent in this build as well, an example being the Welcome Center. Some lower res sample pictures are available in User/Public/Public Pictures and lots of "placeholder" jpegs abound. There's also more sample video media. Aero-glass is still identical to previous builds. When using Flip-3D, the blank desktop appears in the 3d view of windows now, I don't remember seeing that before but I could be wrong. I didn't notice any difference in backgrounds or screensavers. The ten minute hard drive grind fest is gone when first logging in when in previous builds Defrag and indexing commenced. Strangely, as in 5308 the "Reliability Monitor" is gone as a choice in the Computer Management MMC. You need to launch mmc.exe and add it as a snap-in. The defrag console is also gone from the Computer Management MMC. Overall, 5308 is 95% of what 5342 is. It's not a must have upgrade unless there's enhanced driver support for a particular piece of hardware. I'm running a single Dell D810 and everything worked as in previous builds, so I can't comment on increased HW support/drivers. Anyway, sorry for the rambling post, but hope this is helpful to those wondering about 5342.

Christ, learn to paragraph; even if yer rambling.:laugh: :woot:

My system Score, 3 point with this new build, with the older build I got 2 points

post-121126-1143299124_thumb.jpg

Is not perfect, I just have 1.5GB of RAM but it shows 2GB

Just been leaked apparently. Didn't take long :/

Edited by King Mustard

I can't activate my Vista, I requested an additional key in Microsoft Connect and it didn't work. The activation process keeps showing "Try a different key" :unsure:

where? (the sample pictures)

Sample pictures of what? I'm not posting a screenshots of the website.