irc.neowin.net closed

This is going to be a great change, no longer will we be controlled by Stardock and have to abide by their rules. Of course there will be new rules enforced by Neowin, the new Neowin IRC will be more enjoyable because it will be ran by the staff*.

Edited by AppleDave

You mean the one nobody could crack security on because no cracker considered it worth their time to figure out how? ;)

Speaking as a server admin, it's been sufficient for our needs. Maybe it doesn't do things exactly the way you're used to, but that's what diversity is all about. If everyone used Unreal, life would get boring. :D

UnrealIRCd isn't the only non-IRCX ircd. There are many many more, most of them are a bit more RFC compliant than Unreal. Heck, Unreal has a lot of IRCX features such as +a and +q (Channel admin and channel protected mode)

Anyway, most IRCds I know of don't have huge gaping security holes.

anything other than unreal is S***. Unreal all the way!

Why is that? Because UnrealIRCd murders the RFC? Because UnrealIRCd uses more bandwidth than most other IRCds? Because UnrealIRCd is a complete mess (code wise)? Because UnrealIRCd uses outdated DNS code? Or because Unreal has redundant and useless features that only encourage oper abuse?

Out of the mmmm...25 IRCds I have experiance with I can safely say Unreal is the absolute worst. How many IRCds have you worked with, and what makes you think such a thought?

The kind we did.

With most IRCds, you can specify if people are allowed to make new channels. It shouldn't take two weeks.

I pray to god you don't choose Unreal. Unreal is absolutely horrible.

Why don't you just put yourself on an already established network? (Such as one that trys to cut down on oper interference and only has a few basic network-wide rules) That way, you'll avoid some IRC politics and you won't have to spend the time running your network (Belive me, it is a lot of work)

Why don't you just put yourself on an already established network? (Such as one that trys to cut down on oper interference and only has a few basic network-wide rules) That way, you'll avoid some IRC politics and you won't have to spend the time running your network (Belive me, it is a lot of work)

Because we just came from that and it wasn't working?

Because we just came from that and it wasn't working?

Your missing the point; Stardock is more the type that has too many network-wide rules.

I'm talking about networks with rules similar to EFNet.

This is going to be a great change, no longer will we be controlled by Stardock and have to abide by their rules. Of course there will be new rules enforced by Neowin, the new Neowin IRC will be more enjoyable because it will be ran by us.

to be honest, stardock's rules are a lot more relaxed than neowins from what i know, and i'd like to know who 'us' is in your post :p

Why is that? Because UnrealIRCd murders the RFC? Because UnrealIRCd uses more bandwidth than most other IRCds? Because UnrealIRCd is a complete mess (code wise)? Because UnrealIRCd uses outdated DNS code? Or because Unreal has redundant and useless features that only encourage oper abuse?

Out of the mmmm...25 IRCds I have experiance with I can safely say Unreal is the absolute worst. How many IRCds have you worked with, and what makes you think such a thought?

With most IRCds, you can specify if people are allowed to make new channels. It shouldn't take two weeks.

I pray to god you don't choose Unreal. Unreal is absolutely horrible.

ircds cant use a lot more bandwidth than each other, irc has no compression to clients and so if i send a 300 character message, its going to take 300 bytes (exclude channel name, host etc) to be sent to everyone. Oper's being able to join banned or without invite/keys etc can be seen as helpful, what use is an ircd if someone starts flooding the network and the opers are banned from the channel to be able to get in and stop it?

to be honest, stardock's rules are a lot more relaxed than neowins from what i know, and i'd like to know who 'us' is in your post :p

ircds cant use a lot more bandwidth than each other, irc has no compression to clients and so if i send a 300 character message, its going to take 300 bytes (exclude channel name, host etc) to be sent to everyone. Oper's being able to join banned or without invite/keys etc can be seen as helpful, what use is an ircd if someone starts flooding the network and the opers are banned from the channel to be able to get in and stop it?

Us...as in Neowin :huh: Should I have said Staff?

It takes as long as it takes, with the resources we have.

Who cares that much how long it takes? People are acting like we just murdered their mothers by cutting it for 2 weeks. Seriously, go outside for a while in the meantime.

Who cares that much how long it takes? People are acting like we just murdered their mothers by cutting it for 2 weeks. Seriously, go outside for a while in the meantime.

i'm guessing its because the only change people know about is not permitting users to create new channels, which could be done in hours, the less people know the more they'll question, if you drew up a list of things that needed sorting and they looked liked taking 2 weeks, people would be less questioning

Sounds like you don't know too much about ircd.

First of all, most ircds nowadays support gzip compression. Second, there is more than just the messages being typed by users transfered; for example if you have two linked they need to be able to communicate with each other. Anyone who knows a bit about Unreal using more bandwidth would agreee with me, its a pretty commonly known fact.

And if someone was flooding a network, the person should be temporarily klined, having an oper come in and ban someone from a channel isn't enough.

Its like a week and a half by now anyway.....by the time all of you stop whining it will be here.

Like I said, it's just a few changes to the config file, nothing much.

What IRCd are you guys going to be using?

Your missing the point; Stardock is more the type that has too many network-wide rules.

I'm talking about networks with rules similar to EFNet.

Stardock's "rules" were not an issue here. Unless you fully understand the situation and why we had to move, you wouldn't fully grasp why we are setting up our own server.

Stardock's "rules" were not an issue here. Unless you fully understand the situation and why we had to move, you wouldn't fully grasp why we are setting up our own server.

Well you could tell us more then?

Either way if you were on a large network such as EFNet there is a good chance that it wouldn't even be noticed by network staff.

Sounds like you don't know too much about ircd.

First of all, most ircds nowadays support gzip compression. Second, there is more than just the messages being typed by users transfered; for example if you have two linked they need to be able to communicate with each other. Anyone who knows a bit about Unreal using more bandwidth would agreee with me, its a pretty commonly known fact.

And if someone was flooding a network, the person should be temporarily klined, having an oper come in and ban someone from a channel isn't enough.

yes gzip compression something with irc clients dont support so there goes that, yes i know its used between linked servers, only way unrealircd can use more bandwidth is if there are a lot of opers and lots of glines/klines/etc going on as they get sent to all opers which is the best way to do it.

if someone was flooding the network, without being able to be in the channel, how would find the nick/host? what happens when they come back? how do you know the new nick/host?

and regarding efnet, at least pick a network that has services :p

Well you could tell us more then?

Either way if you were on a large network such as EFNet there is a good chance that it wouldn't even be noticed by network staff.

We're setting up our own server and assuming full control over things. This decision is not going to be changed now.

if someone was flooding the network, without being able to be in the channel, how would find the nick/host? what happens when they come back? how do you know the new nick/host?

Hopefully a user will report the flooding. If that is the case, they will probably tell you the nick of the flooder and then you can do a /whois on the nick to determine the person's host.

It's because of the dodgy-ness of the connection isn't it bangbang? We've all been dropped by it several times at least and after the first wave of DC's it kind of loses its funny side.

It's because of the dodgy-ness of the connection isn't it bangbang? We've all been dropped by it several times at least and after the first wave of DC's it kind of loses its funny side.

it'd be nice to be actually told what happened and what is making it so long to setup the irc server, although it is very unlikely to happen. Then again, from what i know the new irc server will be on the same connection anyway so that's unlikely to be the reason karl.

I really can't comment on anything, but we felt we could better get a handle of the IRC if we set up our own. With such a large community and our need to better enforce our community rules, this was the most logical choice for us. We very much appreciated the free IRC Stardock gave us, but because it wasn't our server, we were limited at times and felt we needed to do something to expand our control and our ability to enforce the rules.

For those complaining about the length of time, just deal. The person taking the time to set it up has never set up an IRC server before, so it's taking a bit of time to get all the settings to our liking and such.

I really can't comment on anything, but we felt we could better get a handle of the IRC if we set up our own. With such a large community and our need to better enforce our community rules, this was the most logical choice for us. We very much appreciated the free IRC Stardock gave us, but because it wasn't our server, we were limited at times and felt we needed to do something to expand our control and our ability to enforce the rules.

For those complaining about the length of time, just deal. The person taking the time to set it up has never set up an IRC server before, so it's taking a bit of time to get all the settings to our liking and such.

Ah, so it's one of the "I have a big channel so you better make me oper" situations?

Ah, so it's one of the "I have a big channel so you better make me oper" situations?

No. Like I said, you won't understand unless you know all the details......

I could care less as to how long it takes, everyone I talk to is in #underground .... and you should be too! *points like the uncle sam picture*

No. Like I said, you won't understand unless you know all the details......

then enlighten us :p

i don't see how much more control you can have over your own server except turning it off/on when you want, having oper is all you need to control an irc server

then enlighten us :p

i don't see how much more control you can have over your own server except turning it off/on when you want, having oper is all you need to control an irc server

And to run a channel, you don't need to be oper, even if it's a big one. There is no reason that someone needs to be oper to enforce rules in a *channel*