irc.neowin.net closed

No. Like I said, you won't understand unless you know all the details......

Care to give us some details then instead of repeating it over and over?

This is a forum, not MI5.

Or has Neowin got something to hide?

Care to give us some details then instead of repeating it over and over?

This is a forum, not MI5.

Or has Neowin got something to hide?

There are internal requirements made by the administrators that our IRC server must meet to make sure we have proper control over it. Due to the limited knowledge of IRC servers on our team (excluding a few, who are helping the dev who is installing it), it will take us time to meet these requirements.

That is honestly all that needs to be said. You don't need to be bothered by the internal staff duties. You can also stop asking why, because private staff information is exactly that: Private.

There are internal requirements made by the administrators that our IRC server must meet to make sure we have proper control over it. Due to the limited knowledge of IRC servers on our team (excluding a few, who are helping the dev who is installing it), it will take us time to meet these requirements.

That is honestly all that needs to be said. You don't need to be bothered by the internal staff duties. You can also stop asking why, because private staff information is exactly that: Private.

would it not be wise to find someone who does have experience to help out? assuming its only a single server, you can ignore all the hub/leaf settings, linking options etc and then you're down to the basic ip/port settings and oper settings which is a matter of hours even for the inexperienced

If so many people involed have limited knowledge of IRC, I don't see how this can turn out to be a sucess.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, seems like the community just wants to know what is going on with their chat room. It is starting to look like someone has something to hide...

Kelsey you really do like to TALK... change the record please... and stop rambling about your knowledge of IRCd's... it appears to be nothing extensive if you ask me.

Kelsey you really do like to TALK... change the record please... and stop rambling about your knowledge of IRCd's... it appears to be nothing extensive if you ask me.

how does one judge ircd knowledge on a forum? :p

If so many people involed have limited knowledge of IRC, I don't see how this can turn out to be a sucess.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, seems like the community just wants to know what is going on with their chat room. It is starting to look like someone has something to hide...

Nobody is trying to hide anything, it is just going to take some time to setup and tweak in the middle of our busy lives. End of story. You can cease with the paranoia.

I only like to talk sometimes.

Anyway I feel sick atm and I'm not going to waste my time typing a reply to some "UnReAl eXpErT" or so it seems...

Give it a rest on the whole "Fill us in!" "What are you hiding from us!" bit, no means no. There really isn't any reason for you all to know.....it doesn't really concern you. Two weeks isn't that long of a time anyway, like Chris said (along with the rest of the staffers in this thread) just deal with it.

It's the summer. Joel is right. If you don't get outside and stock up on vitamin D, when is your body going to get some?

Its winter here in australia

In case anyone else plans on complaining, for the sake of everyone else who wants the channel back, let the staff do their work. This is turning into the neowin 5 thread. The staff has little experience in this kind of thing, if you're going to complain about that, think of it as a learning experience for the staff. If they do this well, they'll know how to continue to improve the site.

In case anyone else plans on complaining, for the sake of everyone else who wants the channel back, let the staff do their work. This is turning into the neowin 5 thread. The staff has little experience in this kind of thing, if you're going to complain about that, think of it as a learning experience for the staff. If they do this well, they'll know how to continue to improve the site.

if they have little experience wouldn't it have made sense either to find someone who does to help/set it up or run a few tests in private for the staff to test out and then switch over the irc channel?

To settle one point, we do not have a lack of experience with setting up or securing an IRC server. The coderator with raw server access may not have done it before but once he gets the basic server up and running (configuring firewall ports, DNS, etc..>) then other staff members who do have extensive experience with IRC servers will be able to lend a hand.

What complicates a job where someone does the behind the scenes work and others help with the final configuring is that our staff have jobs, lives, wives and/or girlfriends (sometimes even both). Yes, I'm sure if they had a solid block of many hours where everyone could come together and get the job done then it could be done but that isn't how real life works. They will also want to test the server extensively before releasing it to the public.

Essentially, wait. Relax. Use the forums. Read the front page. Go outside. Dream of the opposite sex. Whatever works for you. It is coming soon and it will be done when it is done. The work has already started.

[01:10] #neowin unable to join channel (need correct key)

[01:12] #underground unable to join channel (address is banned)

whats the correct key

what are you on about. i've never even been to that channel before. why is it banned

Who cares that much how long it takes? People are acting like we just murdered their mothers by cutting it for 2 weeks. Seriously, go outside for a while in the meantime.

Yeah, people need to calm down, #neowin wasn't the entire world, there are other places to go, and other real places to go in real life.

Go shopping, see a movie, date somebody, do something other that sit here complaining that this is going to take a few days.

Edited by The_Decryptor

what are you on about. i've never even been to that channel before. why is it banned

this is old news

Yeah, people need to calm down, #neowin wasn't the entire world, there are other places to go, and other real places to go in real life.

Go shopping, see a movie, date somebody, do something other that sit here complaining that there is going to take a few days.

agreed. that thing called outside? yes, go expierence it. i'll be hitting the beach :D

i dont mind helping out with stuff, if you people need it :) Hell i dont mind donating cash towards an irc server or the costs

Oh right.. there was an irc :laugh: *has been doing the above and more*

Public service notice: doing the above mentioned actions may cause:

Glee

Nausia

Hickies

Coyote ugly moments

Lack of funds

Skin rashes/irritations

Sunburn

Alcohol poisoning

Tom cruise style outbursts

Fires

If symptoms persist, please consult a web forum.

Enjoy the time out guys (Y)

I feel compelled to issue a Public Health Warning in response to EP's post.

Warning, lack of #Neowin irc can cause the following side effects in some cases:

-Too much free time

-Increased concentration on work

-Bordom between exams (it's that time of year again)

-Repeated moaning about lack of IRC

-Repeated posting in forums about lack of IRC

-Noticing there is a place outside of the four walls you generally live in

-Wanting to go to this newfangled 'outside' place you heard about

-Realising you live in the UK and therefore it's raining

I could go on... but I'm out of ideas...

Oh right.. there was an irc :laugh: *has been doing the above and more*

Public service notice: doing the above mentioned actions may cause:

Glee

Nausia

Hickies

Coyote ugly moments

Lack of funds

Skin rashes/irritations

Sunburn

Alcohol poisoning

Tom cruise style outbursts

Fires

If symptoms persist, please consult a web forum.

Enjoy the time out guys (Y)

[10:38pm] * SkyyPunk hugs matt xD