Neowin's Official World Cup 2006 Thread

This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! First final for Italy since '94 (I wound up in tears after that one) and I have a family wedding!!!!! What kind of Italians plan a wedding on the same date as the final of the World Cup?!?!?! I didn't mention this earlier becuase I didn't want to jinx my hopes that Italy would be featured in the game. And yesterday I was too ecstatic to care. But this is really setting in today. The game starts at 2:00 pm EDT and the wedding starts at 2:30 and is in Queens so we'll surely have to leave before 2:00. GAAAAAAAAH!!! I am seriously considering investing in a crappy handheld portable TV and just sitting in the back of the church watching intently (I'm hoping the Big Guy will give me a pass lol). I'll be recording the game of course but it's nothing like watching it live. Cruel cruel world.

O and while Buffon has been spectacular when called upon, Fabio Cannavaro's play has probably helped to prevent another 15-20 shots on goal. He has been all over and often the last man back or in one-on-one showdowns without being beaten yet. All heart and soul. He's had an amazing Cup and if Italy pulls it off on Sunday he deserves the Golden Ball IMHO.

Edited by bigbluepride35

ok, nice match today! From both Portugal and France

but not the nicest one of the tournament.

Two things that went bad: first Portuguese player needs to stop diving for nothing... now this is just stupid... they missed a lot of play just because they wanted to draw the referee attention. All in all, I even thought Portuguese player played faster and better in this game if that is not for all of those retarded dive.

Second, France played like total zombies in the second half... not at all the total ownage they showed against Brazil.

Anyway, I'm glad France passed because it is my team (in heart) -me half french-half spanish-

ohhh, I notice people are saying viva la france... PLEASE and no pun intended, but viva is spanish... it's Vive la France... no "a" at the end, a "e" !!!! just a correction so you guys know! anyway thanks to all who support France for the final! Je vous aime aussi et je vous embrasse :p

Vive les bleus!

This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! First final for Italy since '94 (I wound up in tears after that one) and I have a family wedding!!!!! What kind of Italians plan a wedding on the same date as the final of the World Cup?!?!?! I didn't mention this earlier becuase I didn't want to jinx my hopes that Italy would be featured in the game. And yesterday I was too ecstatic to care. But this is really setting in today. The game starts at 2:00 pm EDT and the wedding starts at 2:30 and is in Queens so we'll surely have to leave before 2:00. GAAAAAAAAH!!! I am seriously considering investing in a crappy handheld portable TV and just sitting in the back of the church watching intently (I'm hoping the Big Guy will give me a pass lol). I'll be recording the game of course but it's nothing like watching it live. Cruel cruel world.

O and while Buffon has been spectacular when called upon, Fabio Cannavaro's play has probably helped to prevent another 15-20 shots on goal. He has been all over and often the last man back or in one-on-one showdowns without being beaten yet. All heart and soul. He's had an amazing Cup and if Italy pulls it off on Sunday he deserves the Golden Ball IMHO.

oh man! I feel sorry for you

you are considering!?!?! I would have already bought the damm TV, go now! go buy a portable TV what the hell are you doing sitting in front of your computer!!! :p :laugh:

My bet is on Italy taking the World Cup.

(I was hoping it would be Portugal).

Italy have a near perfect record for goals scored against them so far - just one (a self goal).

And the French goalkeeper looks poor when challenged.

Anyone have a video of Zidane's penalty kick goal? :D Please!

it was really nothing special.... just a hit to the side. the goalie dove to the right side too; he just didn't reach far enough.

The most respectable and just final confront that we could imagine.

Brazil - played poor with shamefull star individual conditions and egos. Parreira is just a dumb coach. Crap performances from Ronaldinho (-100% very negative impression) and dumbass experience from Ronaldo-Cafu-Roberto Carlos. Shame, shame, shame. Thanks to GOD because we never will see Roberto Carlos again. ######.

England - much was said little was shown. I just waited a great Lampard performance in agreement to 2005' second best player nomination and he was just crap like Ronaldinho.

Germany - plays very well but caught bad luck against Italy. Congratulations to Klinsman had a great work.

Portugal - Scolari 80%, Team 20%

France - SUPERB. Proved really what football is: overcoming.

Italy - Italian football: claw, force, beauty football.

Two legends facing each other for the last time and showing each other respec

Haha good one! You is just comparing an GOD with a an ant. :laugh:

Two legends facing each other for the last time and showing each other respect.

oh yeah it was interesting moment. Lovely when zidane put on figos shirt at the end :laugh:

Germany - plays very well but caught bad luck against Italy. Congratulations to Klinsman had a great work.

indeed much out of luck. or maybe ven not daring enough! Too bad Klinsman wont be coaching germany no more.

Heres an interesting article on the BBC regarding the Portugal vs France game. Ronaldo thinks the referee was biased towards France the whole game. I hope hes not being serious after his dives in the penalty area! At least hes taken the booing with a pinch of salt though.

Ronaldo was left in tears after Portugal's defeat lol

Is it me or does he have red/pink colour under his eyes everytime on match? like pre-crying for match?

He can't complain when he does naughty things on the pitch too.

Looking forward to the Germany vs Portugal match tho :woot:

You know what was better than that? Beckham crying like a little kid like his mother didn't buy him a candy bar. To all the English out there - you'll never reach the semis again!

Oh, where is that loser's flag gone from your avatar? Suck on, Portugal!

Italy have a near perfect record for goals scored against them so far - just one (a self goal).

What a own goal that was!

England - much was said little was shown. I just waited a great Lampard performance in agreement to 2005' second best player nomination and he was just crap like Ronaldinho.

Lampard never plays well for England because of Svens tactics. Whos now left :woot:

What a own goal that was!

Lampard never plays well for England because of Svens tactics. Whos now left :woot:

Na Lampard was crap from day one. One of the worst players on the England team. I mean how many shots did he have? :rofl:

Two legends facing each other for the last time and showing each other respect.

That was nice indeed, though it was funny to see Zidane put on the shirt inside out. :rofl:

J.

Oh I do feel sorry for the Portuguese team, especially C. Ronaldo...

Ah, hold on, no I don't that was just wind!

On a more serious note, I do feel that last nights game displayed what bunch of diving, cheating, idiots some players are, and I'm afriad to say that goes for Henry to. Last night was, in my opinion, the second time Henry had "simulated" from which the French scored a goal! :no:

Pete

All things aside, I must agree that Portugal dived way too many times. It got to the point I was cursing them out as well regardless if I am Portuguese or not.

well said l3thal!!

Interestingly, Portugal havent scored a goal in open play in over 4 hours of world cup football....

Christiano Ronaldo - "Everyone who saw the match could see that the referee wasn't fair.

"He should have shown yellow cards but he did not because Portugal is a small country. "

So that fans are saying that he dived, it was plain to see that he dived yet as the referee didnt award him anything (not even a yellow card) he whines!!

This world cup has had an up side and a down side....

The Up side - A brilliantly organised tournament with all fans mingling together with very little trouble. Germany has been a superb host.

The down side - Extremely poor refereeing in alot of games, players from many nations trying to cheat their way through the rounds by diving and fouling whenever they can.

Overall, this tournament has been a credit to the German people and nation.

Oh I do feel sorry for the Portuguese team, especially C. Ronaldo...

Ah, hold on, no I don't that was just wind!

On a more serious note, I do feel that last nights game displayed what bunch of diving, cheating, idiots some players are, and I'm afriad to say that goes for Henry to. Last night was, in my opinion, the second time Henry had "simulated" from which the French scored a goal! :no:

Pete

I genuinely think that the defender caught Henry as he fell down (the defender) with his trailing leg, which thus caused him to lose his balance (as he did a really sharp turn).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fIXYLKdbM

This was not just English fans turning on Ronaldo - France fans happily joined in, and many other nations represented could also have played their part.

I swear i heard some one say it was all english fans who turned on Ronaldo... :whistle:

Hope he leaves football for good i mean world cup football = no kids

Ronaldo was left in tears after Portugal's defeat lol

well ronaldo is not the first footballer to cry. There was plenty of other people from argentine, england, germany.

i guess its a natural thing when your hopes get ruined like that. Anyway he looks funniest of all when crying...big baby :rofl:

England Fanboys still crying? Why? England and Brazil was crap. Stop talk about cheating bad-losers.

They are actually talking about yesterday's game... :rolleyes:

J.