Neowin's Official World Cup 2006 Thread

I'm in no way trying to make excuses because they lost, but I believe that penalty was a bit harsh against Carvalho. Carvalho grazed his foot in an attempt to clear the ball and Henry felt that graze and let himself fall 2 seconds later, exaggerating the gravity of the touch.

In my honest opinion, it would have been better for the game if that penalty wasn't called. There have been many clear penalties in this cup and that one wasn't even close to being one but it was called and that's that.

England Fanboys still crying? Why? England and Brazil was crap. Stop talk about cheating bad-losers.

Yes, they are. I guess it's their second nature... Just look what they wrote in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal_national_football_team

justdontknowhowtoloose2nl.gif

And if you read the article, you'll find more.

Edited by miguel_montes

<edit start here>

^ man, that is simply sick. How far someone can go with their deceptions.

<end of edit>

Hmpf, funny thing.

Ppl complain that C. Ronaldo is a diving master....but it seems they simply wont comment about Henry.

(he is another dive master, still i love Henry's football)

But the news in France pushed this dive thing so hard against C. Ronaldo and imo, has influenced the referee.

This is why i believe he didnt give any penalty for Portugal. Just one note, there was 2 oportunities where there was a clear unfair action against CR.

Anyway, it wont change a thing.

Im proud of Portugal (not like my **** BR), they played with heart till the end. (Y)

Edited by Krpano

What the hell I know alot of people change things on Wiki but that's gone abit far.

Top and bottom of it Portugal don't play the game the way it should be played.

Play acting, diving, pleading for fellow professionals to be sent off, it's just not in the spirit of the game.

As for sportsmanship, I think Scolari summed it up at the end confronting the ref. Hopefully Fifa will be looking into it and try to stamp these antics out in future tournaments.

I couldnt agree more. nuff said.

Oh, where is that loser's flag gone from your avatar? Suck on, Portugal!

lol

Wow...just wow :no:

That is indeed a pity though I still think not all English fans should be judged on that. I am one am I therefore also a cryer? ;)

J.

well.. we lost to france yet again with a penalty scored by zidane... :( it was fair game i guess... of course we could allways argue about the referee and call henry a diver (trying to find stupid excuses like the english fans have been doing), despite that i still think the referee did a good job. anyway, we still have a match against germany (probably the hardest for the portuguese team in this world cup).

but now i'd like to point two things as we are in the final days of this tournament:

1st: the english fans' childish attitude (insulting ronaldo specially)

and 2nd: the french fans' way of celebrating their team's victory by punching, at least, one portuguese reporter and cameraman in france. :no:

1st: the english fans' childish attitude (insulting ronaldo specially)

and 2nd: the french fans' way of celebrating their team's victory by punching, at least, one portuguese reporter and cameraman in france. :no:

Your suggesting all the fans are the same, which is so far wrong its unbelievable. Mindless acts of violence or vandalism by some fans does not reflect the majority of fans at all.

The English fans that are angry at Ronaldo were spurred on by the media. The media have found their scape goat, but in the end Ronaldo made himself looks stupid by diving against France, then complaining in the media the referee was biased towards France. Its the boy who cries wolf with his crocodile tears.

Its clear after the England/France games that several Portugeuse players are guilty of being unsporting cheaters, and the fact they got beat by a diving Henry is a small justice.

even if the portuguese dive, you talk like they are the only ones doing it. everyone dives, english players too...

and the supposed diving didnt won portugal a single match like this henry's dive did.

about the vandalism, i think when it comes to punhcing reporters its a little bit more than just vandalism, one thing is a kind of fight between fans or something like that, other thing is assaulting a reporter.

even if the portuguese dive, you talk like they are the only ones doing it. everyone dives, english players too...

and the supposed diving didnt won portugal a single match like this henry's dive did.

about the vandalism, i think when it comes to punhcing reporters its a little bit more than just vandalism, one thing is a kind of fight between fans or something like that, other thing is assaulting a reporter.

Yeah but some of the people here are just like that because they lost to Portugal 2 time in a row...

Just face it, you lost with us I don't really see the problem here... we also lost with France and he aren't insulting their players, country and fans, it happens just grow up

that match just shows portugal as being a diving team. not only that, but going too far in trying to gain advantages. and to say that that ref was unfair, is just what babies do when they lose. blame someone else for THEIR loss. that ref was on point on almost every single call. as far as the france penalty, it may have been a bit harsh. i think he did intentionally leave his leg out to trip him up or throw him off balance. worthy of a penalty... not sure. but the ref didn't hesitate one second on the call. he made his decision instantly, which, love it or hate it, you can honestly say he was influenced by ANYONE about it.

i don't have the link to the article because just the text was sent to me.

THANK GOD

Beckenbauer calls for summit to stop play-acting

BERLIN, July 6 (Reuters) - Franz Beckenbauer has called for a summit meeting of players, coaches and referees in a bid to stop the increasing trend towards play-acting and feigning injury which has blighted matches at the World Cup.

Beckenbauer, president of the German organising committee who skippered West Germany to World Cup victory in 1974 and coached them to success in 1990, said it was time for players to stop cheating in a bid to gain an unfair advantage.

'I think it is time to get the players, the coaches and the referees around the table and try to find some sort of solution to this problem.

'None of us in the game wants these incidents. The players are seeking to gain an unfair advantage and attempt to exploit every situation.

'The referees are there to correct this kind of misconduct, but the players do not make it easy for the referees.

'If I was a referee I would also show the yellow card to any player who signalled to the ref with an imaginary card to get an opponent booked. That is also cheating.'

that match just shows portugal as being a diving team. not only that, but going too far in trying to gain advantages. and to say that that ref was unfair, is just what babies do when they lose. blame someone else for THEIR loss.

so blaming ronaldo for getting rooney sent off is just doing the same thing... you guys really need to grow up. takin' this rooney thing for example: if a player 'asks' the ref to show a red/yellow card its against the rules so, if the ref thought it was fair to show a yellow card to ronaldo then he would have done so. and blaming ronaldo on this is just laughable, if he has this misterious power to get other players sent off i just dont understand why he doesnt use it every match.

portugal is not a diving team, we surely didnt get this far (like we did on euro04, reaching to the final) by diving, if the team you were supporting (like england, for ex.) lost just face it, k?

finally, play-acting has allways existed, you guys are just bringing this up now 'cuz you find it as the best excuse for the fact that your team was 'kicked out' of the competition.

netherlands played a very good game against us, they could have won as they could have lost. they lost!

england didnt play good enough (as they werent playing before) to defeat us so they lost.

against france, portugal was a little bit better but france scored and we didnt, so they won. period.

first of all. i never mentioned the portugal v england game. rooney is a disgrace, that's all i have to say about that. i don't 'have a team'. the US is terrible at soccer and i don't consider MLS to be any sort of professional league. the US is awful. for most of the cup, i've been rooting for the underdog. as it's gone further, i've wanted france to win, because it's zidanes last cup and i would like him to win another, because HE is a true sportsman.

yes, portugal IS diving team. at least in this cup, that's what they showed to everyone.

i KNOW play-acting has always been a part of the game. alebit a small one. but when it gets to a point where everytime you have the ball and a defender touches you, you fall to the ground, SIT THERE, and look at the ref with your hands up waiting for them to call it, your not a true sportsman. not only that, you're not helping your own team at all because you're sitting there complaing. also, i'm not saying portugal is the only team that does it. they are just the worst i've seen.

why are you bringing up all these games? if your going to talk about what i have to say, at least stay on topic. england played like crap all tournament. they were lucky to get as far as they did.

like that article says, when you're trying to get an UNFAIR advantage, it's cheating. which is exactly what the portugal team did, ten-fold after the france penalty, so they could get back in the game. i realize that players are going to do whatever they can to gain an advantage, but when you obviously are not fouled, complain that it wasn't called, THEN blame the ref for being unfair... you lose EVERY bit of integrity, in my opinion. it's not the players decision on whether a foul is worthy of a booking. ONLY THE REF. to sit and moan, it unsportsman-like and doing that on a regular basis should be grounds for a booking itself!

again, as i stated in an earlier post. it doesn't matter what i say or anyone else. soccer is like religion. you have your team/religion and you will defend it to the end! win, lose, whatever. there is always someone cheating, if you lose.

I can believe this world cup, all my favourtites are out. Can't wait til saturdays 3rd place game, I hope the Diving bastards get hammered ironically by a team that is managed by the founder of the diving society!

I can believe this world cup, all my favourtites are out. Can't wait til saturdays 3rd place game, I hope the Diving bastards get hammered ironically by a team that is managed by the founder of the diving society!

you mean ze germans? In that case i dont see how Klinsman invented diving.

Anyway enough of this diving talk already...people are doing everything they can to win the damn trophy! they are so desperate :p

Wow, L3thal jumped off that bandwagon pretty quick.

Now thats a real fan.

not everyone can be near pc all the time :)