Apple release new "Get a Mac" ads

The pc guy had to say: Games... Touche? LOL i own a mac and a pc and i like both but i still think the apple ads are a little to bashing on PC's

I use both OSes at home too and a PC at work. The ads are all in fun. People take things too serious.

I was playing Star Wars Empire at War last night on my MBP in XP and the bloody thing BSODed on me as I was about it finish off the Rebellion. It has happened a few times but those error messages "IRQ equal or less than 1" make no sense whatsoever.

:laugh:

I know it must be a driver issue with the sound card or video card but I cannot remember the last time I got a white screen of death on my mac. I think it was in Panther when I was connecting to a PC via Samba two years ago.

Edited by aristotle-dude

Ads are supposed to engage you emotionally. Obviously, these ads worked very well and because of that they are memorable. Can you remember the last McDonald's ad? Are those ads meant to remain memorable for a longer time?

Yup, for the deli sandwiches. "I'm lovin' it" is still around. Coke is known for the polar bears, "I'd like to buy the world a Coke", etc. MS has those ads that show the MSN butterfly guarding the house.

At least 7-up's tag line had nothing to do with Sprite.

"Crisp and clean, with no caffeine. Ha ha ha."

The problem with these ads is that even non-techies can easily call BS on them. "What? I can download all my family trip photos, make slide shows, burn dvds, etc... So what's all the fuss about these Mac things?"

or "Uhh, I already have Windows on my PC. So you can put Windows on a Mac too? What's the point if I already have that?"

etc, etc. Anyways, that's my problem with them. Not that I have anything against Apple.

I was playing Star Wars Empire at War last night on my MBP in XP and the bloody thing BSODed on me as I was about it finish off the Rebellion. It has happened a few times but those error messages "IRQ equal or less than 1" make no sense whatsoever.

I know it must be a driver issue with the sound card or video card but I cannot remember the last time I got a white screen of death on my mac. I think it was in Panther when I was connecting to a PC via Samba two years ago.

When I had XP running on my iMac I'd get BSODs too, which was odd because I never seemed to get them when I had a PC. Dunno if the drivers aren't up to snuff yet or what.

Weird, what part of opening the box and following the HUGE colour-coded paper that tells them where to plug their USB keyboard and mouse confused them? Was it the extra detail of plugging in the monitor that threw them for a loop? Or the part at boot where it says, "Press any key to continue", not once but TWICE even? Man, I sure needed a nap after all of that heavy thinking when I did it, I'll tell you that. :sleep:

Smaller market share = bashing in advertising. Burger King does it (or just outright copies McD), Pepsi does it (Pepsi taste tests compared to Coke) and Apple does it (PCs suck, we don't).

You'd be surprised, I've seen people with college degrees that aren't even capable of transfering pictures from a camera to a computer. It's not that they're "stupid", just that they get intimidated and ultimately assume it's hard and they can't do it. The Mac ads are trying to convince poeple they are easier, just work, and can fulfill all their needs. As someone else mentioned, they're not directed at the poeple like us who know better.

The problem with these ads is that even non-techies can easily call BS on them. "What? I can download all my family trip photos, make slide shows, burn dvds, etc... So what's all the fuss about these Mac things?"

or "Uhh, I already have Windows on my PC. So you can put Windows on a Mac too? What's the point if I already have that?"

etc, etc. Anyways, that's my problem with them. Not that I have anything against Apple.

When I had XP running on my iMac I'd get BSODs too, which was odd because I never seemed to get them when I had a PC. Dunno if the drivers aren't up to snuff yet or what.

We are getting BSODs because of the newness of the hardware and the combination of hardware. All of that is exposing major bugs in the drivers themselves. It does not seem to happen every time in the same place. To me, it seems that they are caused by memory leaks one of the drivers. You will not get those BSOD's on your PC because you do not have the same combination of hardware and drivers. I used to get BSOD's on my workstation once in a while but then it went away with a few updates.

While MSFT might not be to blame persay, they do not seem to provide as much support for driver developers as Apple does with their hardware labs and with the basic memory leak diagnosis tools provided with XCode.

I've looked at what comes with VS in terms of debugging tools and I have to say it is pretty sparse. If they provided more tools for diagnosing these problems, BSODs would be a thing of the past in virtually all situations.

You will not get those BSOD's on your PC because you do not have the same combination of hardware and drivers.

Well yeah, I know. By saying that, I was just trying to say "MSFT might not be to blame persay" as you did.

they do not seem to provide as much support for driver developers as Apple does with their hardware labs and with the basic memory leak diagnosis tools provided with XCode.

I've looked at what comes with VS in terms of debugging tools and I have to say it is pretty sparse. If they provided more tools for diagnosing these problems, BSODs would be a thing of the past in virtually all situations.

Yeah, I agree with you there. If you want something like the tools included with xcode, you're going to need to download/buy some 3rd-party software (unless someone can point out where tools like that are, I sure can't find anything). Also, I've never written a driver before so I have no idea how it works.

"But first I have to uninstall all the Trial software"

Hmm what trial software... I made my own pc and had no trial software.

I can do fun stuff...

let's see some serious gaming going on a Mac then (without having to install windows in it)

Hmm this ads are just stupid >_>... cool but stupid

Once again, these ads are targetted at the people that run down to Circuit City and Best Buy to purchase a pre-built computer. Not for those of us that build computers ourselves.

You'd be surprised, I've seen people with college degrees that aren't even capable of transfering pictures from a camera to a computer. It's not that they're "stupid", just that they get intimidated and ultimately assume it's hard and they can't do it. The Mac ads are trying to convince poeple they are easier, just work, and can fulfill all their needs. As someone else mentioned, they're not directed at the poeple like us who know better.

That doesn't make it OK for Apple to be deliberately misleading. It's completely disrespectful to technophobes. Sure, highlight the point that the computers are easy to use (etc.), but you don't have to fill people's heads (that don't know better) with garbage in order to sell you wares.

That doesn't make it OK for Apple to be deliberately misleading. It's completely disrespectful to technophobes.

Why not? Microsoft does it everyday. Intel does it. AMD does it. Almost every technological company misleads their customers.

Not a day goes by without seeing at least one "Windows server is more powerful and cheaper than Linux.. Look here for proof.." - Right'o - interestingly it takes you directly to their marketing page where you have tons of Microsoft 'endorsed' surveys :whistle:

Also remember the "Plays better on <insert here>" product whilst in fact you end up having drastically better performance on a competitive product - the only difference is they didn't pay for advertising.

Marketing, marketing.

Why not? Microsoft does it everyday. Intel does it. AMD does it. Almost every technological company misleads their customers.

Not a day goes by without seeing at least one "Windows server is more powerful and cheaper than Linux.. Look here for proof.." - Right'o - interestingly it takes you directly to their marketing page where you have tons of Microsoft 'endorsed' surveys :whistle:

Also remember the "Plays better on <insert here>" product whilst in fact you end up having drastically better performance on a competitive product - the only difference is they didn't pay for advertising.

Marketing, marketing.

(Y) Or those ads in IT magazines by MSFT. In one ad, supposedly by just using Windows 2003 server, a development project could be done in half the time. Or I love the ones where the comparison and contrast the outcome of not using versus using VS.NET 2005 on a project.

The tools are not what make a project go off schedule so badly.

These pathetic commercials irritate the crap out of me, not because I love my Windows ...hardly, just because they are so plainly incorrect and smug.

Oh very good. Shall I link the OSX page now and we can keep this going all night?

The Work vs. Home ad is incredibly misleading, insulting even. And then mentioning that 'ooh, I can run Windows on a Mac' is also very misleading - since it is Apple that is preventing the opposite from occuring.

These pathetic commercials irritate the crap out of me, not because I love my Windows ...hardly, just because they are so plainly incorrect and smug.

Says the man with a windows logo as his avatar and in his sig shaped in the form of an aero style window.

:rolleyes:

It's just an ad. Get over it. Me thinks thou dost protest too much. They bug you so much because you know what they are saying is true.

Says the man with a windows logo as his avatar and in his sig shaped in the form of an aero style window.

:rolleyes:

It's just an ad. Get over it. Me thinks thou dost protest too much. They bug you so much because you know what they are saying is true.

Check out the 'current desktop' link in his sig for a real laugh. LOL

Oh very good. Shall I link the OSX page now and we can keep this going all night?

The Work vs. Home ad is incredibly misleading, insulting even. And then mentioning that 'ooh, I can run Windows on a Mac' is also very misleading - since it is Apple that is preventing the opposite from occuring.

You mean like how MSFT is preventing WMP from working in OS X or how XBOX games will not play on anything other than an XBOX? Should I be able to play PS/2 games on my Gamecube?

It is only insulting if you are emotionally invested in your platform choice so deeply that you take it personally.

Oi, you two, stop that.

He said it wasn't because he's a windows fan. Look, do I have a windows icon as my avatar? No. Yet I'm of the same opinion.

(and the fact his desktop looks like OSX hardly backs up your view).

This thread is about the misleading Apple adverts. Can we keep it on track?

Check out the 'current desktop' link in his sig for a real laugh. LOL

LOL. I had stuff like that on my XP box back in 2001/2002. It looks like that's objectdock, RKLauncher or mobydock and a Tiger Visual Style.