Zizou Provoked by Serious Taunt?

I'm pretty sure you'll change your opinion once someone knocks you a tooth out...

Hmm, that's funny. I thought he said verbal violence was just as wrong as physical, not as painful... Either way, it's not acceptable. Zidane lost his cool. He shouldn't have, but he did. That being said, his violent headbutt is unacceptable, as is Materozzi's verbal attack. These are two people who were under quite a bit of stress for the entire game, if not entire World Cup. They both made a mistake that I'm sure they both regret now. I think we just need to recognize that both made a mistake, and forget all this 'he was right cause he was provoked' mentality.

Hmm, that's funny. I thought he said verbal violence was just as wrong as physical, not as painful...

And I think you're right. I misunderstood. Sorry! :/

Italian Soccer Training Camp... need training for sometning like this :yes:

thats pathetic.. its been around for 2 years this video, and although very funny, has nothing to do with italy, nor this thread

the diving joke with italy is getting pretty lame too. all the teams have been diving.. and from recent games, like italy-germany, the germans were much worse

Zinedine Zidane has elaborated on the chain of events which led to his attack on Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final.

The midfield genius brought the curtain down on one of the world's great careers when seeing red for a headbutt on Materazzi.

Numerous reports have commented on what led Zidane to launch his attack on the Italian defender and the France star has claimed Materazzi insulted both his mother and his sister.

"He (Materazzi) pronounced very tough words about my mother and my sister. I tried not to listen to him but he kept repeating them," Zidane told in a live interview on French television channel Canal Plus.

Zidane had kept his own counsel on Sunday's events prior to his interview on French television and he has apologised for his actions - but still feels Materazzi was the guilty party.

"I apologise to all the children who watched the match on Sunday," he stated.

What Materazzi said about Zidane's family is terrible, there is no place for that in football.

What Materazzi said about Zidane's family is terrible, there is no place for that in football.

Both Marco Materazzi and Zinedine Zidane have given their side of the story leading up to the disgraceful head-butt in the World Cup Final.

Words were exchanged between the players before the Frenchman violently struck Materazzi in the chest. Lip-readers have been unable to clarify exactly what was said.

?I want to ask forgiveness from all the children who watched that. There was no excuse for it,? said Zidane this evening.

?I want to be open and honest about it because it was seen by two or three billion people watching on television and millions and millions of children were watching. I won?t repeat exactly what was said, but it was very personal and concerned my mother and sister."

However, Materazzi has also spoken out against claims his provocation was enough to warrant punishment from FIFA.

?I said nothing that had anything to do with racism, religion or politics,? the defender told the Gazzetta dello Sport. ?I didn?t even mention his mother. I lost my mother at the age of 15 and to this day am still moved to tears talking about her.?

There were suggestions in the world?s media that Zidane was infuriated by an alleged comment because his mother is currently battling a serious illness.

?Naturally, I had no idea Zidane?s mother was in hospital. I wish them all the best and a speedy recovery. As for Zidane, he has always been my hero and I admire him a great deal.?

The Frenchman was sent off in extra time for that head-butt and could now be stripped of his Golden Ball award as Player of the Tournament. A FIFA investigation has begun into the incident.

there shouldnt be a place for that, but it happens in every game. trying to control a person's words is next to impossible

Talking trash is part of a lot of sports. You know how winners handle that? They win the game. They don't do something dumb like lose the world cup because you can't control yourself like Zidane did. And I had a Football (American Style ;) ) coach who always told us the guy who starts it never gets caught or penalized, its always the dope that tries to finish it who hurts his team. :yes:

Many quotes in this one.

Paris - French soccer icon Zinedine Zidane on Wednesday said he was sorry for head-butting an Italian opponent during the World Cup final against Italy.

But he said in a French television interview that defender Marco Materazzi had deserved it for insulting him with some "very hard words" aimed at sullying his mother and sister.

"I want to ask for forgiveness from all the children who watched that. There was no excuse for it," he said.

"I want to be open and honest about it because it was seen by two or three billion people watching on television and millions and millions of children were watching.

Asked what exactly Materazzi had said, Zidane would only offer that it was "very personal and concerned his mother and his sister".

"You hear those things once and you try to walk away. That's what I wanted to do because I am retiring. You hear it a second time and then a third time..."

Zidane was not asked in the interview whether there was a racist tone to the insults.

The French skipper was sent-off for the head-butt to Materazzi's chest in the second period of extra-time in Sunday's final in Berlin.

While Italians celebrated their fourth World Cup crown, France and the rest of the world wondered just what had made the 34-year-old skipper and footballing genius act in the violent way he did in what was the final game of his career.

All agreed that Materazzi had insulted the Frenchman immediately prior to the head-butt but what he actually said has been mired in mystery.

Theories ranged from insults against Zidane's mother, sister and family to him being accused of being an Arab terrorist.

The Italian admits he traded insults in the heat of the exchanges but denied either calling Zidane a terrorist or saying something crude about his mother.

Zidane had been silent over what had made him lose his cool until Wednesday's delayed broadcast interview with popular Canal+ television sports presenter Michel Denisot.

He said that while he was sorry for all that had happened, he had no regrets about retaliating against Materazzi.

"I can't say I have any regrets about what I did because that would be like admitting that he had every reason to say what he said." said Zidane.

"I can't, repeat can't say that. He had no reason to say what he said. It's always the reaction that is sanctioned and not the provoker."

Zidane said that the final had been without any major incidents between the two teams up until his dramatic clash with Materazzi when the Italian had tugged at his shirt.

"I told him to stop pulling my shirt and that he could have it if he wanted at the end of the match," he said.

"That was when words were said, very hard words and he said them several times.

"Words can sometimes be harder than actions. It all went very quickly and they were words that hurt me deep down.

"The real culprit should be sanctioned and the real culprit is him. He provoked it all.

"Do you imagine that in a World Cup final like that with just 10 minutes to go to the end of my career, I am going to do something like that because it gives me pleasure?"

World football's governing body Fifa has launched an investigation into what happened and its chief Sepp Blatter said on Wednesday that Zidane could lose his award as best player of the tournament.

Talking trash is part of a lot of sports. You know how winners handle that? They win the game. They don't do something dumb like lose the world cup because you can't control yourself like Zidane did. And I had a Football (American Style ;) ) coach who always told us the guy who starts it never gets caught or penalized, its always the dope that tries to finish it who hurts his team. :yes:

Different cultures, different mentalities, different priorities.

You don't go around insulting an arab's parents, he will ****ing murder you. Zidane even went a bit easy. He thought for that second, screw the world cup, screw the money, I'll defend what I believe and teach this ****** a lesson.

Yes, this is what materazzi wanted, he wanted Zidane out of the game but Zidane knew exactly what he was doing, he didn't think "Ok I'll get away with this and still play".

Most people now in this thread think "Violence is not the place for sports, Zidane should of just let it go and win the game". You think one of the worlds best football players doesn't know that? Obviously in that split second his priorities changed, family > sports. That's why he doesn't regret what he did.

It may seem childish to fight over verbal offense but, in some cultures, family is so close and important that these people refuse to take **** at the values and people they strongly defend and believe and love"

What can I say?... I agree with Zidane. As opposed to what some say, if you switch players and it was Materazzi who was in Zidane's place, I'd agree with Materazzi despite being a dirtier player than Zidane.

It's a very understandable act. If I was him, I can't say that I would of walked away and play with jerks.

every time i read rainman's post i find myself in agreeance, and this no exception. sure, words can only hurt you if you chose to let them, i understand the walk away philosophy. however, there comes a point and a time when you realize hey, this is just a sport. certainly if someone said this sort of thing about my ill mother while i was working, i doubt i would back down and try to do a better job at my work, just to spite them or be the bigger man or however you want to word it. in the end, it sort of comes down to honour. there are some things bigger in life than glory, ego, winning in competition, sports. i think one of those things is family.

words are most of the time more damaging of an attack than anything physical. that old kindergarten adage of just ignoring things simply doesn't work and every person comes to a point in their life where they defend their pride, and the honour of others.

''I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that,'' Zidane said

that about sums it up

Different cultures, different mentalities, different priorities.

You don't go around insulting an arab's parents, he will ****ing murder you. Zidane even went a bit easy. He thought for that second, screw the world cup, screw the money, I'll defend what I believe and teach this ****** a lesson.

Yes, this is what materazzi wanted, he wanted Zidane out of the game but Zidane knew exactly what he was doing, he didn't think "Ok I'll get away with this and still play".

Most people now in this thread think "Violence is not the place for sports, Zidane should of just let it go and win the game". You think one of the worlds best football players doesn't know that? Obviously in that split second his priorities changed, family > sports. That's why he doesn't regret what he did.

It may seem childish to fight over verbal offense but, in some cultures, family is so close and important that these people refuse to take **** at the values and people they strongly defend and believe and love"

What can I say?... I agree with Zidane. As opposed to what some say, if you switch players and it was Materazzi who was in Zidane's place, I'd agree with Materazzi despite being a dirtier player than Zidane.

It's a very understandable act. If I was him, I can't say that I would of walked away and play with jerks.

do you honestly think if it was an italian giving the head butt from a retaliation that the world would see his point of view and agree with why he did it?

do you agree with what totti did in euro2004 when he spat at poulsen after being constantly provoked? not even italians agreed or cared to see how he was provoked.

at the end of the day, zidane was wrong. you cant do such a disgusting physical attack like he did. he himself knows that he was wrong. he was given a red card which he deserved.

every time i read rainman's post i find myself in agreeance, and this no exception. sure, words can only hurt you if you chose to let them, i understand the walk away philosophy. however, there comes a point and a time when you realize hey, this is just a sport. certainly if someone said this sort of thing about my ill mother while i was working, i doubt i would back down and try to do a better job at my work, just to spite them or be the bigger man or however you want to word it. in the end, it sort of comes down to honour. there are some things bigger in life than glory, ego, winning in competition, sports. i think one of those things is family.

words are most of the time more damaging of an attack than anything physical. that old kindergarten adage of just ignoring things simply doesn't work and every person comes to a point in their life where they defend their pride, and the honour of others.

''I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that,'' Zidane said

that about sums it up

hearing you guys trying to condone what zidane did is a complete joke..

he's had a poor history of red cards from violent attacks, several of them headbutts.

at the end of the day materazzi said something about his sister and possibly his mother. zidane could have turned and said something just as bad back to him

To those bringing up what Materazzi has done in the past, and linking to videos of him being reckless/violent,

So What?

This has nothing to do with what he did in the past. It is to do with what Zidane did in this match. In sport (as others have said) things are said to put the other team off. If they respond as Zidane did, then you have done well as it is part of the game (rightly or wrongly). I do not agree with racism in anything, and if it was a racist coment that caused this then Matterazi should be punished. I don't think he will be punished, because I think it will be too hard for FIFA to prove what he said. And FIFA are too spineless to do anything unless it is against England.

Edited by metallithrax

very true metallithrax

when have they ever looked into the actions of someone doing the provoking. both materazzi and zidane said it wasnt related to racism or religion.

i still dont believe how many people are worried about trying to justify zidane's actions. although he has some incredible skills, he never had great sportsmanship

at the end of the day, zidane was wrong. you cant do such a disgusting physical attack like he did. he himself knows that he was wrong. he was given a red card which he deserved.

hearing you guys trying to condone what zidane did is a complete joke..

he's had a poor history of red cards from violent attacks, several of them headbutts.

I never said that it was the right thing to do but I keep on saying that it was understandable and that the media makes Zidane look like the bad guy. That's two different things. Of course physical attacks aren't allowed, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to show that but I totally understand his point of view. I see where he's coming from because I've dealt with the same **** he's dealt with since he's a youngster.

Zidane had a poor history with red cards n stuff? Ok, Materazzi had a much worse history, "Youtube" (now a verb like "google it") his name you'll see.

I keep repeating myself, that it's both their fault Zidane and Materazzi but at least you can understand Zidane's reaction and his motive that drove him to attack physically unlike Materazzi who was just playing dirty by throwing insults at a key player which seems to be a popular strategy in football. In the case of Materazzi, the goal was to get Zidane out of the picture. Great job Materazzi, thankfully Football isn't full of ###### like him.

I keep repeating myself, that it's both their fault Zidane and Materazzi but at least you can understand Zidane's reaction and his motive that drove him to attack physically unlike Materazzi who was just playing dirty by throwing insults at a key player which seems to be a popular strategy in football. In the case of Materazzi, the goal was to get Zidane out of the picture. Great job Materazzi, thankfully Football isn't full of ###### like him.

And I can understand Materazzi/s reaction when Zidane "told him to stop pulling his shirt and that he could have it if he wanted at the end of the match". Zidane is an arrogant child.

At the end of the match Materazzi's made a goal and Italy won the World Cup... Zidane make a headbutt and won nothing ;)

I never said that it was the right thing to do but I keep on saying that it was understandable and that the media makes Zidane look like the bad guy. That's two different things. Of course physical attacks aren't allowed, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to show that but I totally understand his point of view. I see where he's coming from because I've dealt with the same **** he's dealt with since he's a youngster.

Zidane had a poor history with red cards n stuff? Ok, Materazzi had a much worse history, "Youtube" (now a verb like "google it") his name you'll see.

Until there is proof of what Materrazi said, how can he be as much to blame? As I said earlier, if it is proven that he used racial insults then yes he should be punished. But until the time it is proven, nothing should be done against him.

there is no real proof. only that zidane and materazzi both said there were family related insults. materazzi said it wasnt regarding his mother, and that his own mother dying at a young age was reason enough for him never to insult people in that matter.

if i was in a situation where someone provoked me in such crazy ways, i'd be clearly arguing back at them verbally, then maybe getting face to face in an argument, and if i was upset enough, i'd attempt to punch the person.

the fact that he wasnt saying much, and decided to retaliate with straight headbutt shows he's no angel either.

why couldnt he retaliate by arguing or going face to face and hiting and pushing him?

there is no real proof. only that zidane and materazzi both said there were family related insults. materazzi said it wasnt regarding his mother, and that his own mother dying at a young age was reason enough for him never to insult people in that matter.

if i was in a situation where someone provoked me in such crazy ways, i'd be clearly arguing back at them verbally, then maybe getting face to face in an argument, and if i was upset enough, i'd attempt to punch the person.

the fact that he wasnt saying much, and decided to retaliate with straight headbutt shows he's no angel either.

why couldnt he retaliate by arguing or going face to face and hiting and pushing him?

that's a good point but it's a rational reaction when the guy was obviously too choked to think.

that's a good point but it's a rational reaction when the guy was obviously too choked to think.

No, it is not a rational reaction when you are playing a professional sport.

that is in no way a rational reaction. zidane has been through countless Champions league finals, 3 world cups, and many domestic league campaigns. although he has lost his cool several times, and you can understand why he would retaliate, the manner in which he did it is just shocking.

i said it when i first posted in this thread - i'm a fan of zidane, always enjoyed watching him, and i've always hated materazzi.. but whether it was insult to his sister or mother, that was crazy shock to see zidane do that. he is a professional at the top level, and many regard him as one of the best of all time. the top and best players cannot let out anger the way he does so often.. esp when 3 billion people are watching

To those bringing up what Materazzi has done in the past, and linking to videos of him being reckless/violent,

So What?

This has nothing to do with what he did in the past. It is to do with what Zidane did in this match. In sport (as others have said) things are said to put the other team off. If they respond as Zidane did, then you have done well as it is part of the game (rightly or wrongly). I do not agree with racism in anything, and if it was a racist coment that caused this then Matterazi should be punished. I don't think he will be punished, because I think it will be too hard for FIFA to prove what he said. And FIFA are too spineless to do anything unless it is against England.

It has plenty to do with the present. Is it not a testament to Materazzi's character and his capability to provoke? Although it is true that Zidane is the physical aggressor; Materazzi is plenty guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct in being the instigator.

It has plenty to do with the present. Is it not a testament to Materazzi's character and his capability to provoke? Although it is true that Zidane is the physical aggressor; Materazzi is plenty guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct in being the instigator.

But in the videos, Materazzi is the aggresor. In this instance he wasn't.

But who is to say that he instigated it? OK, he says he had hold of Zidanes ****r and a little banter went each way, but that happens in every game. Who is to say that Zidane didn't start the bad verbals?