Zizou Provoked by Serious Taunt?

Amnesia

all i know, is that if somebody offended my mother, or made a racist remark, I might have done the same (but now a headbutt, perhaps a punch or shove)

FlibbyFlobby

So after all these headlines about terrorist and racist insults it turns out Materazzi pulled out a yo mamma and yo sister joke on Zidane. I hardly think thats justification, regardless of your background or culture.

virgo89

Materazzi just told the press that he DIDNT say anything about Zidane being a terrorist, although thats all he said. He didnt say anything about what he DID say.

Toology

But in the videos, Materazzi is the aggresor. In this instance he wasn't.

But who is to say that he instigated it? OK, he says he had hold of Zidanes ****r and a little banter went each way, but that happens in every game. Who is to say that Zidane didn't start the bad verbals?

Like I said, Zidane may have been the physical aggressor but Materazzi was definitely one as well verbally. He may be a jackass but he knew better than to pull his violent antics in plain view in a World Cup Final.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3634510165961584975

In the video you see Materazzi grabbing Zidane by the shirt and Zidane getting loose. Zidane then grabs his own shirt and tells Materazzi something, which would substantiate in part Zidane's claim that he offered him the shirt since apparently Materazzi wanted it so badly. Then you see Zidane leaving but being the ass that Materazzi is he felt he needed to in get the last word while Zidane's back is turned. Then the head-butt. From the looks of it, it really was over and done with when Zidane was leaving but Materazzi couldn't suppress his own douche-bag nature.

First he said that he didn't insult Zidane now he says he did. In addition to denying he insulted Zidane he claimed he didn't even know what a terrorist was. Riiight. :rolleyes: This doesn't exactly give Materazzi a lot of credibility.

virgo89
ZIDANE SPEAKS: Materazzi insulted mother and sister

PARIS (Reuters) - Zinedine Zidane said on Wednesday that Italian defender Marco Materazzi insulted his mother and his sister during the World Cup final against Italy.

In an interview with French television channel Canal Plus Zidane also said he apologized to children and fans but did not regret the head-butt that led to his sending off.

The French captain reacted to the insult by head-butting Materazzi's chest in the second period of extra time of the match.

"He (Materazzi) pronounced very tough words about my mother and my sister. I tried not to listen to him but he kept repeating them," Zidane said in a live interview.

Playing the last game of his career, Zinedine was shown a red card, leaving his team mates finish the match without him. France lost on penalties.

Zidane denied Materazzi called him an Islamic "terrorist," as was reported by a Paris-based anti-racism group.

Zidane is of Algerian origin, his parents being born in the village of Aguemone in the Kabylie region.

FIFA decided on Tuesday to open a disciplinary investigation to clarify the circumstances surrounding the incident and Sepp Blatter, the chairman of the soccer's ruling body, hinted that Zidane could be stripped of the tournament's best player award.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060712/wl_nm/...rld_zidane_dc_2

Edited by pS-
FlibbyFlobby

This doesn't exactly give Materazzi a lot of credibility.

Because headbutting someone is credible right?

Toology

Sure it is. A head-butt resulting a red card in the most critical of all WC matches wouldn't have taken place unless under extreme provocation. After all, this is what the whole thread is about is it not? (Zizou Provoked by Serious Taunt?)

revvo

Because all of these of Materazzi does?

Don't you people think for a split second that Zidane is the "beast" here who violently attacks the innocent. Materazzi has done things far worse in the past, so yes I truly believe what he said to Zidane was offending enough to justify the headbutting. If it was from another player with nearly no history of violence and redcards I'd say ok something's fishy but this here we have Materazzi, one of the player who actually deserves to get hit.

The funny thing here is it seems that most people are like It's Zidane's fault, he comitted a horrifying act, blablabla he's the bad guy in other words. Of course it's easy to come at this conclusion because we all saw this. What we didn't see is the actual bull**** coming out of Materazzi's mouth.

Don't you think that Zidane doesn't know what a redcard is and how he to get one. Being one of the best, he knows football more than you know your own penis but whatever was said at him pushed Zidane at a point where the true violator was Materazzi.

Michael_C

At the end of the day Materazzi's bull**** just makes soccer look like a pathetic bunch of girls who'd rather try to bully people than play like men.

ynnoj

Why is this once incident glorified? It was a bitter, aggravated and frustrated Frenchman that headbutted Matterazi. Everyone makes out like this kind of stuff isn't exchanged between athletes on the playing field all the time, and that its the first time one player has insulted anothers mother.

revvo

Why is this once incident glorified? It was a bitter, aggravated and frustrated Frenchman that headbutted Matterazi. Everyone makes out like this kind of stuff isn't exchanged between athletes on the playing field all the time, and that its the first time one player has insulted anothers mother.

First of all it's Zidane, one of the best football players of all times, the most expensive player Real Madrid ever traded for.

Second of all, it was his last match before his official retirement, a really sad way for a champion to retire.

Third of all, if this incident didn't happen, god knows what the outcome could of been of the world cup if Zidane were to stay until the end, maybe France could of had it.

profets

this is really becoming a joke

zidane has even said that there was an insult to his sister and mother. although wrong, it hardly warrants the type of retaliation that zidane showed.

this **** talking and provocation happens on the field ALL THE TIME! but a crazy headbutt like that does not. i've heard worse things on the field than insults like zidane claims... and players so often are subject to racist and religious insults

the fact that people are trying to justify zidane's actions shows what to young footballers? that voilent physical oubursts are ok?

look at bertuzzi in the nhl - he was ripped apart for his actions, and i guess rightly so. but did he do it for no reason? he wasnt only provoked by Moore, but moore was purposely sent on the ice several games earlier to violently hurt bertuzzi's captain, who in turn suffered a concussion.

although a different game, Bertuzzi was seeking revenge for a dirty physical hit by moore, but was clearly incorrect in what he did

First of all it's Zidane, one of the best football players of all times, the most expensive player Real Madrid ever traded for.

Second of all, it was his last match before his official retirement, a really sad way for a champion to retire.

Third of all, if this incident didn't happen, god knows what the outcome could of been of the world cup if Zidane were to stay until the end, maybe France could of had it.

First of all its Zidane, one of the best football players of all times, and one with a horrible discipline record - in 2001 he was twice red carded for headbutts. in all 3 WCs he's received straight red cards for inexusable behaviour

Second of all, it was his last match before national team retirement, and a TRUE champion & national team Captain would have kept his cool when representing his country in the worlds biggest game -- esp when 3rd of all, he could have brough the cup home to france

BroChaos

after reading the quotes of what was said, i still stand by my original opinion. zidane was clearly in the wrong.

as someone said earlier, is there anybody who HASN'T had a "your momma" or "your sister" pulled on them? did you all physically attack the person that said it to you?

it's absolutely clear that zidane was feeling weak, fair enough, he has an ill mother. why doesn't he just admit that he made the mistake? he has a pretty good reason for making one. if there's any time you aren't going to be thinking clear, it's when a close family member is near death.

for all the people who think that physical violence is a justified response to words, care to explain why? care to explain what your actions achieve? how they further your cause? don't you lead by example? or are you living in an animal world? flip the situation around. if you physically assaulted someone, would you expect them just to talk back to you?

Vykranth

as someone said earlier, is there anybody who HASN'T had a "your momma" or "your sister" pulled on them? did you all physically attack the person that said it to you?

Yeah, but "your momma" or "your sister" have absolutely NO place on a football field or any other sport.

You're supposed to respect your opponents, not insult them.

I stand too on my first opinion: Zidane's head-butt deserved a red-card: I cannot excuse that, I can only understand it. Zidane is not a saint (neither is Materazzi by the way), he is just human and sometimes one can blow a fuse.

profets

Yeah, but "your momma" or "your sister" have absolutely NO place on a football field or any other sport.

You're supposed to respect your opponents, not insult them.

I stand too on my first opinion: Zidane's head-butt deserved a red-card: I cannot excuse that, I can only understand it. Zidane is not a saint (neither is Materazzi by the way), he is just human and sometimes one can blow a fuse.

i definitely agree, well said.

D!rtySh@dy

Yes Zidane is a good man, with a lot of respect.

Family is very important for him.

ynnoj

Dude, I know my football. I understand the stage that the event occured on, but the way Zidance seems to get backing really sickens me. I heard there were like a billion viewers during that match (a lot of children, aspiring athletes etc) no matter what was said, nothing justifies that ugly behaviour. He's lucky he's retiring to be honest.
Michael1406

I think Zidane was justified, Materazzi deserved that nut. If I found out my mum was ill and someone said what Materazzi said, the guy would have got studs in his chest at the bare minimum.

metallithrax
I think Zidane was justified, Materazzi deserved that nut. If I found out my mum was ill and someone said what Materazzi said, the guy would have got studs in his chest at the bare minimum.

But we don't know what he said

machorro

no it's not justfied, as ppl has said before I can understand why he did it but that doesn't make it justifiable

maybe its justifiable that refs kick players, since I bet your ass that a lot of players have mentioned 1 or 2 their mothers in a game

I guess that is ok, we should give refs that power too :rolleyes:

BroChaos

no it's not justfied, as ppl has said before I can understand why he did it but that doesn't make it justifiable

maybe its justifiable that refs kick players, since I bet your ass that a lot of players have mentioned 1 or 2 their mothers in a game

I guess that is ok, we should give refs that power too :rolleyes:

seriously. this is probably gonna be my last post in here. but i know the word "mother f'er" exists in just about every language. every time someone says that, they are insulting somebody elses mother.

Krpano

The excuse of beign insulted by Materazzi wont change anything.

Zidane acted like a jerk, because he knew they couldnt win against Italy.

How many time ppl bad mouth the referee's mother during the games. Still i dont see them shooting at the crowd.

Toology

The excuse of beign insulted by Materazzi wont change anything.

Zidane acted like a jerk, because he knew they couldnt win against Italy.

How many time ppl bad mouth the referee's mother during the games. Still i dont see them shooting at the crowd.

Wow, Zidane should become a psychic then because according to you he knew France couldn't win. :rolleyes:

Who are you to tell anyone what and what not to take offense at? Is it you being insulted; is it your family? And if the public (not you in particular) views the insults and taunts as "wrong" why then are they willing to excuse it by saying it's the norm? "You reap what you sow" and Materazzi deservingly got that head-butt.