Vista Build 5472 To Be Released This Weekend

http://bink.nu/Article7729.bink

Microsoft this week plans another Vista beta 2 drop that is promised to hog fewer system resources.

At Microsoft's Velocity 2006 worldwide partner conference in Boston Tuesday, a Microsoft executive said the updated beta will be available to Technet subscribers "in a few days."

"Vista in its beta form is pretty taxing on the system. It's slow and a little non-responsive," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president of Windows client marketing at Microsoft.

"That piece of software is now about nine weeks old and that may not sound like a lot but at this stage, that's an old version in software terms."

"You'll see a huge difference [in performance]," Sievert said of the interim release, noting Microsoft is recommending 512 Megabytes of memory when testing the new code.

Since I have 512 MB RAM, I cant wait. :)

Damn, I was hoping it was a public release.

Well, its only going to be an interim anyways - not milestone quality, like RC1 will be, which is supposed to be public, or rather, released through the normal channels + the "CPP". So don't worry, your time will come :).

Edited by aeden_p

Damn, I was hoping it was a public release.

There wont be a public release most likely ever again. They might decide to give out another Beta to the public a month or two before the official release, but dont expect anything. Windows Vista has over 10,000 testers (Or was itover 25,000?), and thats well plenty to get alot of the bugs out. Well see how It goes.

Also, this build is a pre-release (I guess Ill call it that...) of RC1. It is a build to make sure most bugs have been taken out of the build, and most bugs arent really visible to the human eye. If there are bugs, they will eventually be fixed in RC1 or a later build. Got to remember this isnt final so...

There wont be a public release most likely ever again. They might decide to give out another Beta to the public a month or two before the official release, but dont expect anything. Windows Vista has over 10,000 testers (Or was itover 25,000?), and thats well plenty to get alot of the bugs out. Well see how It goes.

There WILL be another public release, it's called RC1. If you ordered the beta 2 DVD kit you'll get the RC1 DVD kit.

But anyway...I can't wait until this weekend! :D :woot:

MS ususally doesnt release things like this on the weekend do they?

Yeah not usually. Though they have done it before...I think a few builds ago it dropped on a Saturday night to everyone's surprise. I'd say Monday if I had to take a guess.

Good news about the memory...even if i have 2GB ;)

This is great news though, 5456 has been running great with almost no problems, but I was ready for an update.

I run 5456 on my "craptop" lol.. cant wait for the updated basic GUI and ram improvements.. it should make my craptop's vista experience better appart for my super desktop machine which runs glass and all that stuff.

um, well, it might not be over the weekend...at least according to what I've seen from some MS people. But that doesn't mean it can't be today...I guess we'll just have to wait and see :whistle:

hmm...i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if a build is released today, it will likely be 5472.4...

Edited by pipdo

MS ususally doesnt release things like this on the weekend do they?

i dont remember the build, but there was a build that was released friday late EST (on connect), but they didnt announce the new build to connect testers till monday. (probably to save servers from everyone downloading it immediately).

Damn....

Just downloaded and installed 5456. :laugh:

I guess downloading another build overnight wont hurt. :rolleyes:

Even if it is just a crappy Ahtlon XP 1800+ I'm running it on. :blush:

Yeah not usually. Though they have done it before...I think a few builds ago it dropped on a Saturday night to everyone's surprise. I'd say Monday if I had to take a guess.

Good news about the memory...even if i have 2GB ;)

This is great news though, 5456 has been running great with almost no problems, but I was ready for an update.

It was 5456 that was released on a Saturday, so its not impossible for them to do the same again.