Vista RC2 released

Well. I hope those hardware manufacture will get their act together and post some decent quality driver when RC2 comes out. ( Finger points to ATI and Creative )

And i hope Vista Sp1 will be ready when it comes out in retail :D

5728 to 5743 isnt that much of a big jump - so it may looks like not many bugs would have been fixed. - but a new version is always welcome :D

btw what will be the rtm build number? 5900 ? 6000?

5728 to 5743 isnt that much of a big jump - so it may looks like not many bugs would have been fixed. - but a new version is always welcome :D

btw what will be the rtm build number? 5900 ? 6000?

no and 5728 wasnt that big of a jump from RC1 either (The 5600 build number was made up). But there are a lot of fixes these days. Especially with it nearing completion there are even more fixes per compile than before.

I would guess that RTM and retail will both be build 6000. Or retail could be just a few builds higher than RTM if they make any more changes.

I really don't understand this obsession with fact it goes black. I mean, this is ignoring the fact your comment made absolutely no sense whatsoever ....

They should add an option to turn it off, but it exists for very good and sensible reasons. If you've maximised a windows, why would you want whatever is behind it to distract you?

I have my color set to a really light blue. I don't want my system changing a color to black when it feels like it. Black isn't even a color I like. Users set the color/theme for a reason...because they like it. Turn off the transparency when it's maximized so nothing behind shows through but don't change the color because your programmers think it looks good/makes sense to them. As for the epilepsy joke why doesn't it make sense? The transition when maximizing or "unmaximizing" is really abrupt and the screens color changes. Flashes of light can trigger an seizures for epileptics...ie my screen quickly changing from really light, clear blue to black over and over when I sometimes happen to quickly switch between maximized and unmaximized window states.

Well. I hope those hardware manufacture will get their act together and post some decent quality driver when RC2 comes out. ( Finger points to ATI and Creative )

And i hope Vista Sp1 will be ready when it comes out in retail :D

Vista SP1 is not due until the end of 2007.

How come u can't install?

Both disks i burnt (x86 and x64) have just done nothing, PC can't read them (i have to burn them with my Mac), drives spin up, then spin down and that's it

I assume it's my DVD drive though, disks read fine on my Mac. (Edit: yep, PC's drive is on the way out, Laptop read the disk fine)

Edited by The_Decryptor

man i have dl three version off vista in the past 4 days from 5600 x86 --> 5728 X86 -----> 5728 x64 (which has been the best ver so far BRING ON 64bit). still ill try and get a copy RC2.

If you've maximised a windows, why would you want whatever is behind it to distract you?

Why would you want whatever is behind UNmaximized windows distracting you? The whole glass design is moronic.

Why would you want whatever is behind UNmaximized windows distracting you? The whole glass design is moronic.

well that isnt the point the point is when something is maximized its meant to steal the whole focus of the screen and lock into place. if something is in that state its strange to make it transparent; and anyway if normal windows are transparent you'd have a hard time distinguishing it from a mazimized window and a window which was just resized to fit the screen. non transparency is a good cue. if something isnt maximized, the window border and title are just things distinguishing it from other windows. they decided to make it transparent not just because of the effect, but also because it could make the windows look lighter, allow the borders to be thicker--for resizing--and still look fine, and put focus on the content while a lot of windows are open because the content of the window is the only thing that is clearly focused. pitch black is an alternate way to focus on the content, which is usually white, without transparency. and because for sensible reasons they decided not to choose to make maximized windows transparent, they decided to make them black.

btw, even for regular Aero---not just Aero Basic--you can turn off transparency.

and... "i dont like the color black" is just plain weird to me, its a basic color.

sadly.

Why is it sad? All software has bugs - Service Packs fix Bugs (plus introduce a few others, give or take) but overall Service Pack time is a happy time for celebrating - not frowning.

;)

Why is it sad? All software has bugs - Service Packs fix Bugs (plus introduce a few others, give or take) but overall Service Pack time is a happy time for celebrating - not frowning.

;)

I think the original poster was suggesting they're sad at how far off SP1 is considering the shape Vista's in at the moment (as some would argue)? Just a guess..! :hmmm: But anyways, I'm a SP fan too - even those 'scary' ones like XP SP2! ;)

Edited by Gboi

Fixes/updates can also be applied through Microsoft Updates. Service Packs usually combine a lot of pre-released updates with some new functionality (e.g. Windows Firewall in XP SP2). I see no reason to wait for SP1 to install Vista.

Hopefully the 2000 odd bugs will have dropped lower!

Yeah like down to the magical 500 or lower mark that Thurrott states in his article (for RTM)! :yes:

anyone knows if this build will have all the new features like new bootscreen and new sounds, or will it be like 5728 with only bugfixes??

For those asking for new nVidia graphics drivers... Why complain? 96.33 allows to play UT2K4 with 1280*1024 full details on a 7800 GT, without hanging up.

For those asking for an official driver release from Creative... Beta drivers are also available, don't expect official drivers before Vista is released!

And for the jump between versions: 5600 to 5728 WAS a big jump, they fixed some problems in the Bluetooth Devices, Power Options, and also in the Audio Mixer (but adding some bugs as well, for Creative and Realtek card owners), for what I could see by testing it during only 24 hours.

Just hope that 5743 will fix the audio problems experienced by many! Don't expect 'cosmetic changes' like bootscreen or sounds...

Im back to XP now. After driver problems, games crashing, programmes not working, long boot times etc etc I just gave up.

The way I see it is, look at vista now, in its current state. Would you pay $400+ for it? Because I know I wouldnt. Its nothing more than a fancy upgrade.

Im back to XP now. After driver problems, games crashing, programmes not working, long boot times etc etc I just gave up.

The way I see it is, look at vista now, in its current state. Would you pay $400+ for it? Because I know I wouldnt. Its nothing more than a fancy upgrade.

Agreed. And bugs aside, I find XP easier to use. I can't believe it, but I'm actually considering NOT upgrading to a new version of Windows. MS really blew this one IMO.

I am looking at Vista and I see an unfinished product still in progress. Would anyone pay $400 for this in its current state? Of course not! why would anyone pay? One should wait until January and then!

Driver problems, games crashing, programmes not working.. you are complaining about an unfinished Operating System? LOL

Perhaps, beta software and RCs are not for the majority of people.. oh wait.. THERE NOT!

Agreed. And bugs aside, I find XP easier to use. I can't believe it, but I'm actually considering NOT upgrading to a new version of Windows. MS really blew this one IMO.

That's exactly how I feel.

All the smoke, mirrors and bright flashes of light (Microsoft Marketing) aside, there is really nothing in Windows Vista that I really want or need.

I am one of the unlucky ones who can't even run in anything besides 640x480 60Hz resolution in Vista thanks to Code 43 error, which is only fixable by disabling one of my CPU cores. Bootup is maybe a COUPLE seconds faster for me vs XP Pro SP2. The only thing I am impressed with so far is how fast it installs, that is definitely a major improvement. I'm aware of the "under the hood" changes, but I sure don't notice them.

Vista is quite sluggish for me (though the latter CPP builds have been an improvement), even when I disable all the unnecessary services including the indexing type services, it feels noticeably less responsible than XP typically. Perhaps Microsoft will work some major magic between now and RTM to boost performance, but I don't see how with such little time to go.

I will likely be waiting for SP1 for Vista (late 2007 I'm guessing) then I shall purchase a cheap barebones DVD-sleeve OEM copy. The ONLY way I'll be upgrading sooner is IF games start REQUIRING DirectX10 to run, I don't suspect that will happen for awhile.

Exactly.

And if Sp1 isn't due out till end of 2007 then they better make a Service Pack 0 ready when they launch in Retail

Although i somehow think most of the problem now are drivers and 3rd party softwares.