Vista RC2 released

Exactly.

And if Sp1 isn't due out till end of 2007 then they better make a Service Pack 0 ready when they launch in Retail

Although i somehow think most of the problem now are drivers and 3rd party softwares.

We are only 1 month before RTM and they count 1400 bugs still open. They want to reduce that to 500 before shipping... SO, you get Vista at $400 with 500 bugs included. A service pack will be more than welcome.

Hi, all.

Q1) Can we test two builds before RTM?

Q2) Microsoft will start to lose languages for the January launch.

=> Is this to support other languages( Korean, Chinese ... ) in January?

Exactly.

And if Sp1 isn't due out till end of 2007 then they better make a Service Pack 0 ready when they launch in Retail

Although i somehow think most of the problem now are drivers and 3rd party softwares.

To be fair, you can't really complain. Vista isn't even released yet so a lot of applications, games etc won't be fully compatible with the new OS anyway.

It is threads like this that make you have a good laugh at times... we love to open our mouth to let out our our foolishness...

In General: Please think before you post. It is better that way, for the sake of the forums, the forums purge system itself and our post counts :)

I am looking at Vista and I see an unfinished product still in progress. Would anyone pay $400 for this in its current state? Of course not! why would anyone pay? One should wait until January and then!

Yes, those 3 months are going to make the world of difference arent they? :rolleyes:

Driver problems, games crashing, programmes not working.. you are complaining about an unfinished Operating System? LOL

Sorry, what? At least try to make some valid points.

Perhaps, beta software and RCs are not for the majority of people.. oh wait.. THERE NOT!

Only so long can people hide hide behind the word "beta". You can dress it up how you like, but 90% of what we are seeing in this RC1 is whats in the final. So making opinions based on what we see are valid. Buy the ****ing thing if you want to. Im not wasting my money on something that is just XP with windowsblinds and a sidebar.

RC 1 working great on my C2D e6300+945 asus board(onbard video,audio) all working flawlessly out of the box i dint have to install any drivers whatso ever ,cant wait for RC2 :D

For those asking for new nVidia graphics drivers... Why complain? 96.33 allows to play UT2K4 with 1280*1024 full details on a 7800 GT, without hanging up.

I've heard those work, except I can't get through the install without a blue screen giving me a nvlddmkm.dll error which is common for Nvidia's newer cards like mine, the 7950gx2. You can't even get into safe mode because like i said, the setup doesn't complete. There is a way to get around this, I found it on google last night, if you have your system dual booting and you stop the install mid way, go into windows xp, perform some black magic, go back into vista's install, cross your fingers, say a little prayer, walk around the comptuer 5 times backwards, kiss the keyboard, and then it works. (ok i exagerated a little but there is a way to really do it with dual boto and stoping the install mid way). I just want to be able to install Vista with no problems is all.

Thanks to Paul Thurrott for the details:

Microsoft this Friday will ship the final pre-release version of Windows Vista and, unexpectedly, will name the release as Release Candidate 2 (RC2). Previously, Microsoft had publicly asserted that it would not ship an RC2 milestone release of Windows Vista. But don't let the name fool you: RC2 is really just a standard interim build of Vista and will not be given out to millions of users as was RC1.

The RC2 build is 5743, and Microsoft is currently testing it internally. As with the previous interim build, 5728, RC2 will be given out to beta testers, MSDN and TechNet subscribers, and a random, limited selection of Consumer Preview Program (CPP) members.

Windows IT Pro

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index...=rss&subj=0

hi everyone :D

i'm new here, so first of all i'd like to say many thanks to this forum because it's really useful :)

i must say an update-addicted, i check everyday for new updates to my softwares or drivers, and of course i'm trying windows vista currently because even if it doesnt run as smooth as xp, hey, it's something new and i couldnt miss it.

i'm running the latest 5728 build, and the main problems i hope that can be fixed are the following:

- blue screen the first time i started it (made me jump off my chair, luckily others [everyone?] had the same problem)

- problems with windows media player, the videos dont run smoothly, with other players like mp classic everything is fine. moreover, everytime i close wmp i get the c0000005 error which i didnt get with build 5600.

- drivers for my fabulous (in xp) soundblaster live! 5.1 audio card, luckily i can use the 5.1 cmi9761 onboard card that runs fine except the low microphone sound (the microphone works fine with the sb live..so i'm using two cards for the sound).

- outlook express, which cut off the 'identities' option, i dont like it cause before i was using 2 identities in it (me and my bro). this is not an error so it probably will stay like this.

- when opening a folder, the green bar in the address-line sometimes is really slow. if opening a folder with video files, it takes longer time than xp to show the preview, and if closing the folder before the green-bar ends crashes the explorer.exe file and it restarts - annoying problem.

- i just tried to burn 5MB on a cd-rw and first of all it formatted the 114MB on the cd, then saved the 5MB. everything's ok but it took 11 minutes compared to the 1-2 minutes it would have taken with windows xp.

- there should be an option to import not just the outlook express emails but also the rules and options from xp.

i'm running office 2007 as well and i must say i'm really satisfied, it runs very smoothly and the interface is fantastic :)

luckily i created a new unit to install and try everything so if i get any problem i can still switch to xp.

i'm looking forward to the next release and hope some problems will be fixed.

i've read somewhere that the release that is going to be on the market is on the 57xx family, so i dont think it will be called build 6000. anyway the journalist might have mistaken, considering there are still 1400+ problems i also think the final release will be at least 59xx.

about the foreign languages, being italian i hope italian will come out soon.

the japanese version is already available in the beta testing so japanese should come out soon as well, considering that in japan the great majority of people (even those who dont care much about pc like my gf) are going to switch to vista and even buy a new pc just for it when it goes on the market.

Hi, all.

Q1) Can we test two builds before RTM?

Probably, but I doubt it lol. RC2 and a later version for beta testers.

Q2) Microsoft will start to lose languages for the January launch.

=> Is this to support other languages( Korean, Chinese ... ) in January?

I am guessing thats what he meant.

I've heard those work, except I can't get through the install without a blue screen giving me a nvlddmkm.dll error which is common for Nvidia's newer cards like mine, the 7950gx2. You can't even get into safe mode because like i said, the setup doesn't complete. There is a way to get around this, I found it on google last night, if you have your system dual booting and you stop the install mid way, go into windows xp, perform some black magic, go back into vista's install, cross your fingers, say a little prayer, walk around the comptuer 5 times backwards, kiss the keyboard, and then it works. (ok i exagerated a little but there is a way to really do it with dual boto and stoping the install mid way). I just want to be able to install Vista with no problems is all.

I have a 7950 GX2 and also could not install Vista. I found a workaround here, http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?p=873671

The problem with the current Vista install is that it has a slightly older version of the Nvidia drivers. Replacing the old ones with the new ones, part way through the install, fixes the problem.

I wish I had more time to test, but it seems like some games I play are actually working better in Vista. Also, I was able to install the shareware demo of Duke Nukem 3D, and it ran............ so awesome

anyone knows if this build will have all the new features like new bootscreen and new sounds, or will it be like 5728 with only bugfixes??

^^ any info?

I believe the sounds are in now.

And there is, and will be, no bootscreen. The blue orb at startup takes its place.

thats still pretty bizzare.... if the blue orb was to take its place why do we still have a loading bar... that's not taking the place of anything... Rather its AFTER the loading bar

thats still pretty bizzare.... if the blue orb was to take its place why do we still have a loading bar... that's not taking the place of anything... Rather its AFTER the loading bar

I know...it's supposed to be like the opening of curtains to a play. You're waiting, waiting, and all of a sudden it's there. I think it's supposedto build excitement.

Not that there's really anything exciting about booting windows.

no and 5728 wasnt that big of a jump from RC1 either (The 5600 build number was made up). But there are a lot of fixes these days. Especially with it nearing completion there are even more fixes per compile than before.

I would guess that RTM and retail will both be build 6000. Or retail could be just a few builds higher than RTM if they make any more changes.

RTM is retail. AFAIK, I dont remember for what product the build number for RTM was exactly the same for retail.

I read on some MS employee blog, can't remember who's.

Also read it on Channel 9, but again can't remember the article.

Amazing sources..... :rolleyes: