Vista RC2 released

YESS!!!!

Not really. Read carefully.

So - starting in today's build, we have significantly backed off the amount of black that is mixed in with the user's color for maximized windows. This is not particularly noticeable with the default color, but with the more intense colors like Red and Orange, you will appreciate the difference.

The Vista debacle should forever serve as an example of how NOT to launch/develop a major new operating system. Some people can hide behind the "but its beta!" curtain, but I don't buy it. We are PAST the RELEASE CANDIDATE!

Have a 7950GX2? Enjoy a BSOD. Running SLI? Don't bother trying to test it, no driver supports it. Want to use the latest version of Nero? Out of luck, try the old version. Interested in using Windows Media Center? Haha, good joke.

If these things were happening at the Beta 1 stage, I'd still be annoyed. For them to be happening on the cusp of RTM is both laughable and ridiculous. Vendors should have been long since getting ready for Vista and supporting drivers for it to test their products. And Microsoft should have shoved a cattle prod up the asses of those that didn't.

I want to use Vista, I really do. I like running the latest and greatest. But it's a stupid joke that I can't run SLI or even run setup using my video card without a blue screen. I can't even hope to use Media Center, something Microsoft has been pushing since including it in the package, because it's so glitchy nothing at all works properly. At this rate of development it will be SP3 before Vista even works properly with all of my components.

Yes, NVidia should really release new drivers. I have so many hick-ups with Aero that I can't use Vista on a regularer bases. These performance issues drive me crazy.

My video card scores with 3.6, on my desktop it scores with 2.0 (Ati) but Aero runs really smooth there. So something has to be wrong the the NVidia drivers.

Let's hope the best for the next build...

The Vista debacle should forever serve as an example of how NOT to launch/develop a major new operating system. Some people can hide behind the "but its beta!" curtain, but I don't buy it. We are PAST the RELEASE CANDIDATE!

<snipped nonsensical driver complaints>

I want to use Vista, I really do. I like running the latest and greatest. But it's a stupid joke that I can't run SLI or even run setup using my video card without a blue screen. I can't even hope to use Media Center, something Microsoft has been pushing since including it in the package, because it's so glitchy nothing at all works properly. At this rate of development it will be SP3 before Vista even works properly with all of my components.

You really can't expect every vendor to release optimized drivers for every card for a pre-release OS. I'd expect the final driver package to be one of the last components to get signed off on.

You'll want to go troll over to your vendor's support structure and rant there, if you want to place the "blame" where it exists.

There's a good reason why beta software is not often released to the general public, every self-proclaimed "power user" starts predicting the end of the world.

I know...it's supposed to be like the opening of curtains to a play. You're waiting, waiting, and all of a sudden it's there. I think it's supposedto build excitement.

Not that there's really anything exciting about booting windows.

If that is true I want whatever MS were smoking when they thought of that. Its a PC. It's not THAT exciting.

Have a 7950GX2? Enjoy a BSOD. Running SLI? Don't bother trying to test it, no driver supports it. Want to use the latest version of Nero? Out of luck, try the old version. Interested in using Windows Media Center? Haha, good joke.

It's microsoft's fault NVIDIA don't make correct working driveres. DAMN YOU MICROSOFT, DAMN YOU FOR NOT LETTING NVIDIA MAKE GOOD DRIVERS!

</Sarcastic>

anyway, it's up to the hardware makers to support in drivers, not microsoft :)

If that is true I want whatever MS were smoking when they thought of that. Its a PC. It's not THAT exciting.

Also, while nobody said so, I think part of their reason is colors. Only 256 colors are available for the bootscreen. So you can't really make a good looking, smooth bootscreen.

Am I the only one that liked the windows turning black when maximized? It really does take the focus off the top Windows (as MS wanted)...

But I guess being able to change is a good thing..Let's just hope we can still have it as it is now in RC1...Cheers :)

Edited by funkyblue

We are only 1 month before RTM and they count 1400 bugs still open. They want to reduce that to 500 before shipping... SO, you get Vista at $400 with 500 bugs included. A service pack will be more than welcome.

:rofl: :D SO true. I guess we pay $100 for the OS and $1 per bug.

Not really. Read carefully.

I was just gonna post that. It should read:

In the end, we decided that we like the black and think it is the right thing to do, but we want to respect the user's color choice for users who bother to make a change. So - starting in today's build, there is no black that is mixed in with the user's color for maximized windows.

It's microsoft's fault NVIDIA don't make correct working driveres. DAMN YOU MICROSOFT, DAMN YOU FOR NOT LETTING NVIDIA MAKE GOOD DRIVERS!

</Sarcastic>

anyway, it's up to the hardware makers to support in drivers, not microsoft :)

Now you know how us Linux users feel when people are complaining. ;)

:laugh: lol really, I don't get the people complaining about hardware not being compatible and software not working on a "Beta" OS and then they say: "*#*)(*&^% this piece of crap OS, MY HARDWARE DOESN'T WORK I'M NOT TOUCHING THIS PRE-RELEASE BETA STAGE OS EVER AGAIN. :angry: " guys, it is a "NEW" operating system that is not even final and the drivers are as beta as hell. How can you expect things to work for like 100% :blink: Give it some time, problems will be fixed, that is why we are testing these builds :)

Do you guys even realize the taskbar is and always will be BLACK? No matter what we do, it will always shows that faded black.

I wan't to show the color i picked it too.

Also, while nobody said so, I think part of their reason is colors. Only 256 colors are available for the bootscreen. So you can't really make a good looking, smooth bootscreen.

no we're supposed to have 32 bit boot screen now.

:laugh: lol really, I don't get the people complaining about hardware not being compatible and software not working on a "Beta" OS and then they say: "*#*)(*&^% this piece of crap OS, MY HARDWARE DOESN'T WORK I'M NOT TOUCHING THIS PRE-RELEASE BETA STAGE OS EVER AGAIN. :angry: " guys, it is a "NEW" operating system that is not even final and the drivers are as beta as hell. How can you expect things to work for like 100% :blink: Give it some time, problems will be fixed, that is why we are testing these builds :)

Drivers should not be at beta stage by now. It goes RTM in a months time for heavens sake!

Drivers should not be at beta stage by now. It goes RTM in a months time for heavens sake!

Well as far as graphics and ESPECIALLY sound, that's not true.

Vista has changed the sound system over and over again on Creative, to the point now where it is RADICALLY different than what it is in XP. Drivers have to be totally redesigned, and made to work with a product that was reverse engineered to work with XP Drivers and privelages thereof.

I am a little dissapointed in the video driver progress. But the sound I can understand. Creatives beta drivers worked great, then MS totally changed everything, so I am sure they are banging their heads against the wall.